What's new

Biblical-Roman-Egyptian epics not yet on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I just wish I was alive when these films were coming out. It must have been something else.

I missed them all by at least a few decades unfortunately. My overall favorite genre of film to be honest, especially those in the various widescreen processes.
I was fortunate to see a good many of the epics in their original releases Timothy and they were events on the big (sometimes very big) screen with great sound ( in many cases). Being the late 50’s and 60’s TV was in its infancy and in Australia at that time a 12” black and white television was a big deal. The epics took us as young children to exotic places and Times in history that was exciting and on occasions informative. I look back on those films and experiences with great warmth and nostalgia and as a life long movie fan consider myself very fortunate to have had those opportunities.

Quatermass II

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hayes
I was fortunate to see a good many of the epics in their original releases Timothy and they were events on the big (sometimes very big) screen with great sound ( in many cases). Being the late 50’s and 60’s TV was in its infancy and in Australia at that time a 12” black and white television was a big deal. The epics took us as young children to exotic places and Times in history that was exciting and on occasions informative. I look back on those films and experiences with great warmth and nostalgia and as a life long movie fan consider myself very fortunate to have had those opportunities.
Couldn't have put it better myself, Bernard - the whole experience of the 1950s and 60s 70mm Roadshow - with the souvenir brochure - was unforgettable. Nothing comes close today, sadly.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I just purchased a "like new" copy of The Land of the Pharaohs (the Cult Camp Classic pressed disc released) on Ebay today and I am on the hunt for a "like new" copy of The Egyptian DVD from Twilight Time. Both films are blind buys for me based largely on the posts of HTFers.

If a blu-ray of The Egyptian would be something you (or someone just aching to get their hands on it) might be interested in, it is available from the same company that put out Hannibal in Japan, Minerva Films. Both are Region A, which you will be able to play in the USA. I'm quite impressed with this company and imagine that it would be the same transfer as the TT release. Of course, you're looking at forty some bucks as the yen goes. Great cover art for this release, as well.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

I sometimes manage to see some of these at a festival and only then one can get an idea of how it must have been to see them back then on a huge screen with a likeminded audience.

I say an idea because back then compared to what else was available espcially epics were in a completely different league than what people had at home or anywhere else while today you can have a bigger screen. 4k resolution and multichannel sound for a reasonable amount of money complete with excellent content on Blu-ray or UHD.

Still the (very) big screen and a bigger audioence adds to the experience for these movies even today and I can only encourage everybody to support cinemas who still show these movies from time to time that is if they do it well.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Well the original TT release of The Egyptian was $40. I'm surprised no European company has released that transfer, it looks so good. I'm just after three ancient world epics now, Helen Of Troy, Land Of The Pharaohs & Barabbas. Time will tell.

What a dream those would be, keeping the fingers crossed!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I think El Cid especially,as its reputation has suffered with the absence of a decent BD.
For me it is probably the best epic of its generation but difficult to justify with the present BD mess.

El Cid has a good chance of being released from a better master sooner rather than later. I expect Fall to take longer as it was shot in 65 mm.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
El Cid has a good chance of being released from a better master sooner rather than later. I expect Fall to take longer as it was shot in 65 mm.

It's easier to transfer 35mm horizontal Technirama than 70mm Ultra Panavision to video?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
It's easier to transfer 35mm horizontal Technirama than 70mm Ultra Panavision to video?

Yes it is, more facilities can do the work for 35mm ,there are not that many high quality 65mm scanners around.

For example Pinewood did a really good job scanning 55 Days at Peking and Circus World so the elements for these could stay in the UK and Pinewood could go up to 4k (or 6k across the 8 perfs) for El Cid. For Fall the scanning would have to be done somewhere else and if it was to be scanned at a comparable 8k the negative would probably have to be flown out to Fotokem.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I have both and my opinion is that the TT release is the preferred version but if El Cid looked like any of the Zulu Blu-rays coming out now it would be a huge disappointment. Excessive digital manipulation to pretty up the picture or old masters won`t cut it if El Cid gets redone.

Probably best to keep the job in the UK and with Pinewood but this time scan in 4k instead of 2k like they did for Peking and Circus World. This would mean that a 4k DCP can be produced and El Cid can be made available for repertory screenings again on a much wider basis.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Messaline (1960) is being released in France, though I guess with no English subtitles.
https://www.amazon.fr/Messaline-Blu-ray/dp/B07DQ9M423

and OMG, what is this I'm seeing?
Prince of Egypt at last?
https://bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-filme/125585-der_prinz_von_aegypten

Good finds! I am leaning more towards Messaline that will hopefully look better than many highly (for me) anticipated releases from France. For friends of animation the wait for Prince of Egypt seems to be over on the 4th of October - I did not even know it had not been released yet.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'll be very interested to learn more about the Messalina Blu-ray disc. I have a soft-focus German DVD with clean images but it's really not good enough. Belinda Lee is superb in this film and anyone who watches it will understand why she has a cult following.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks