What's new

Best Way To Store A Large DVD And Blu-Ray Collection (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Kevin EK said:
How the heck did this get in the Reviews section?
Not sure, Kevin. But consider it removed.

It had some of Adam's fingerprints on it, but I had a hard time trying to figure out how it made any sense myself....so it has been moved into the Blu-ray Forum.

Emma333

Auditioning
Real Name
Emma
I think the best way to store a large Dvd collection would be a to stuff them into a box and put them in a storage ! I mean we can always make room for the ones that we actually need with us at home. The rest can go to professional storage units. You can always get them when you want them. I have a collection of mine stored in my self storage at Toronto ( Jiffy Storage). I think Jiffy is a cool way to keep stuff which you wish to safeguard or things that you might need for future.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I've got my nearly 5,000 DVD/BD collection stored in Case Logic binders, sorted A-Z. I can find any title in seconds and can fit them all on 2 shelves in my living room closet.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Emma333 said:
I think the best way to store a large Dvd collection would be a to stuff them into a box and put them in a storage ! I mean we can always make room for the ones that we actually need with us at home. The rest can go to professional storage units. You can always get them when you want them. I have a collection of mine stored in my self storage at Toronto ( Jiffy Storage). I think Jiffy is a cool way to keep stuff which you wish to safeguard or things that you might need for future.
Welcome, stranger! I hope you post often.

I need all my DVDs at home so I can watch one on a spur-of-the-moment-decision basis. Last night, for example I wasn't sure what kind of film I wanted to watch. I looked through the collection and chose Puppet On A Chain. Thoroughly enjoyed it too!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Robin9 said:
Welcome, stranger! I hope you post often.

I need all my DVDs at home so I can watch one on a spur-of-the-moment-decision basis. Last night, for example I wasn't sure what kind of film I wanted to watch. I looked through the collection and chose Puppet On A Chain. Thoroughly enjoyed it too!
Agreed. I will never be able to predict what I or my company will be in the mood for. Heck, after having my animated GI Joe discs on the shelf for four years, I'm finally breaking them out to run through them set by set. This is, of course, interspersed with other TV discs and more than a couple movie of varying genres and intended audiences.

No, I want all of them at my fingertips...makes my life much easier. And the shelves are a great conversation piece...

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Rip to a drive and play with Plex. I have over 50TB of rips in my media server. All the DVDs are in boxes in the garage. I found software that does lossless rips of DVDs and Blu-rays. Perfect solution.

filmlover

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Mr. Handley said:
I've got my nearly 5,000 DVD/BD collection stored in Case Logic binders, sorted A-Z. I can find any title in seconds and can fit them all on 2 shelves in my living room closet.
That's pretty much what I do. I have separate binders to store the cover, and box the cases and put them in storage. I do this when I decide to sell a title. Just pick a case, put back in the cover, put in the disc and viola!

The only wrinkle is all this fancy packaging. I tend to keep my TV season box sets as is and store them in a separate cabinet, which holds the center speaker. It is the non-TV seasons ultra-fancy packaging that drives me nuts. Lately, I have been keeping them as is, too.

The hybrid BR movies also drive me batty. I now get 2 to 3 discs for each movie. BR movie, DVD movie and supplement disc (sometimes BR, sometimes SD). Sometimes a get a separate disc just for the digital copy! Add another disc for the 3D version and it gets insane. I can easily take up one page of a binder just for one movie now! Nuts. Just nuts. Just give me the BR disc, thank you.

Soooo, my BR cases are as is for now... only DVDs in binders except the fancy boxes... Not ideal.....I may take some time, get another binder and put the BR back in.. I have a completely separate setup for watching DVDs (on 70" TV) than Blu-rays (120" screen), so it does help keeping these separate.... I plan to get rid of any DVD where I have the BR version to avoid duplication and confusion...

I still prefer doing this than 1) keeping everything on a shelf, 2) going totally digital.

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I sold a number of my old DVDs recently, and I still need a lot more space. Personally, I can't do binders and such. The collector's mentality for me means I have to have them in their cases.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
hanshotfirst1138 said:
I sold a number of my old DVDs recently, and I still need a lot more space. Personally, I can't do binders and such. The collector's mentality for me means I have to have them in their cases.

I can't do binders either...I have a huge mental block around them. So I have two of these shelving units attached to the wall. They're a bit of a pain to put together because they're so big, but all my discs, including CD's, fit with room to spare.

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator
For those of you who use binders, or are thinking of using them, Case Logic is having a great sale on their 352 capacity CD wallet, only $18.99.

Amazon is selling the same one for $38.52.

There is a $6 shipping charge though.

tranzyd

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
What's the best way to store a large DVD and Blu-Ray collection in the least amount of space? Keeping everything in their original cases isn't cutting it, especially since most studios don't have a clue about how to conserve space. (Why are studios still releasing DVDs in standard-size cases if they're not including a book inside? A slim case would be more appropriate.) I've been thinking aboout putting 1-2 disc sets in slim cases, and 3-6 disc sets in the standard size cases with one or two single or double sided pages inside and a disc on the front and/or back covers as seen here). These are the cases Paramount is using with some of their newest TV set releases (like Petticoat Junction Season 1) - assuming I can find a place that sells them.
With these cases I could retain most of the original artwork, but the big problem is that I'd have to cut everything up because they wouldn't fit in "as is" due to the larger spines in the original case liners. I don't really want to cut up the original liners, but I can't think of any other alternatives. Printing out new slim-size case art for all of my DVDs and Blu-Rays would waste a LOT of ink cartridges, and the quality wouldn't be good coming from an inkjet printer. I thought about disc binders, but I've never really cared for them, and I think it would be kinda annoying because I currently have my discs stored alphabetically separated by type (movies, tv, music, wrestling).
Does anyone have any suggestions? I've literally run out of room to store more DVDs and Blu-Rays, so this is a problem that I really need to address.

Hi, Have you seen this sleeve system to save 6 times the space, keeping your DVD, BLURAY, CDs artwork intact and a really nice quality too at good price: http://www.slim-disc.com I have tried several other similar systems this is by far the best. I saved tons of shelf space.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I'm in the process of ripping our DVD collection to a Plex media server and storing the discs in the garage. It isn't efficient to do that with blu-rays yet because of the file sizes, but hard drives get bigger every day.

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I'm in the process of ripping our DVD collection to a Plex media server and storing the discs in the garage. It isn't efficient to do that with blu-rays yet because of the file sizes, but hard drives get bigger every day.

Then I must be doing something wrong. Mine are all the same size as when I got them. :)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'm sorry I wandered into this thread lol. Hiding movies in boxes, garages and binders, oh my. I proudly display my collection in the living room on Alantic Maxsteel shelves. I get the occasional weird stare whenever people visit me but I just smile and go about my business. I can understand how some folks would feel embarrassed, though; not me. I don't care what people think.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
People should give numbers when posting. We could be talking about between 500 and 5,000 movies, a tenfold spread

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm sorry I wandered into this thread lol. Hiding movies in boxes, garages and binders, oh my. I proudly display my collection in the living room on Alantic Maxsteel shelves. I get the occasional weird stare whenever people visit me but I just smile and go about my business. I can understand how some folks would feel embarrassed, though; not me. I don't care what people think.

I have mine on shelves along a wall in my dining room. There's no space in the living room. My books and records got there first!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Yes, but temperature changes can affect disc performance. Self-storage units can get sun-baked or frigid unless they are climate-controlled. Neither of those things is disc-friendly.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

And why should you? You are passionate about your hobby. Would that more people could say the same.

Digipacti

Auditioning
Real Name
Anna James
At this point with over 2,000 dvds/blu-rays, I abandoned the cases and used paper clips to attach the discs to the paper cover artwork. Then I bought roll out carpenter benches at IKEA and put them in alphabetically.
hi man, although it is a little old, will you think that store DVD in the paper cover artwork is a little waste-time? If you do not mind, I'd like to share my idea about storing DVD, I rip DVD to digital files for saving on the computer. http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/dvd-organizer.html After that, DVD contents will be completely kept even though discs would be damaged or lost in the future. And, it's much simpler to manage digital files than DVD discs on the computer. After grabbing DVDs, I can rename the new folder for DVD classification. Moreover, I just need to find the folder when I want to look back. It eliminates the trouble of looking for DVD discs and playing with DVD players. In addition, I can also transfer DVDs to other devices for playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks