Best way to save hotmail msg's????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Salvador, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

my account has ballooned to over 800 msgs so i need to save them all. I could do them one by one but that would take forever. Anyone now of a practical and quick way?

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

If you have Outlook Express it should be able to download your hotmail messages.

KJP

3. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

ok, i was able to setup my hotmail account using outlook express. How do you save everything though?

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Once you've downloaded your emails into Outlook Express they're on your hard drive instead of Hotmail's servers. So in essence they're "saved". Once the account is set up just hit Send/Receive and they'll be downloaded.

5. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

how do you save them so that you could have all your msg's backed up in a CD-R? I format frequently so all the msg's have to be archived. Is there a way to save all the msg's in the inbox in one shot?

thanks

6. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

OE messages are save in a default directory. Options should tell you where it is.

7. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Search your drive for *.dbx files. You should find a folder with .dbx files corresponding to the folders in Outlook Express (e.g. inbox.dbx, outbox.dbx, etc.) Depending on your OS it could be in a user profile folder, or off the windows folder. Then you can back up the entire folder to a CD-R.

KJP

8. Ben Menix

Ben Menix Stunt Coordinator

You can also export them to a .pst file, which allows you to put everything in one file for backup. If you have a ton of messages, though, this file can get very big.
    Ben Menix
    [email protected]

9. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

thanks guys for all the help. I was able to archive all my msg's in a .pst file (5mb).