What's new

Best Tips for Halo (1 Viewer)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I'm sure it's because I suck, but I'm having a devil of a time getting through Halo. I am on board the Truth and Reconciliation right now, but it was practically a miracle that I made it this far. Somehow I was able to kill the Invisble Swordsman elites.

The biggest problem that I have is that my Marines keep dying. Right now I'm about to open the door inside the ship, and I've only got 2 Marines. When I open it, all 3 of us are killed within a minute.

Can anyone recommend any gameplay tips to keep my buddies alive? Right now I'm using a sniper rifle and a Plasma pistol. Are these the best weapons to have at this point? I'm throwing plasma grenades whenever I can.

I'm playing the Normal difficulty.

Also, are there any online guides (besides the IGN In-sider guide)?

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Thanks. Just found that one myself.

Also, I got past the part I was stuck on. It's much easier to snipe the enemies away before opening the door.

Scott FP

Agent
I stink at games like HALO myself. Set it to easy mode and you will find the game much more manageable.

I find the plasma rifles are very effective against the Elite, when you run low, discard and take another one from a Elite that you killed.

Plasma grenades are great against Hunters and when you are just over whelmed. However don't use them unless you can hit at least 3 enemies with them.

Last tip is patience. Hide behind a rock and take a few shots, eventually you will win without taking very much damage.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Diapers with "extra protection". Lots of grenades. Sniping is fun.

-Dan

James St

Supporting Actor
I beat it on easy when I first got it and am replaying it on normal now. Just got past the Library and here are few tactics I've used to stay alive.

Always move around when in open areas or against the Flood. Otherwise you become an easy target.

As stated above the plasma rifle works great for Elites but I found the needler to be surprisingly effective as well.

When battling the Flood make sure you don't let them surround you. If they start taking swipes at you it's all over. Backpedal to previous areas to keep them coming in one direction and zigzag to aviod enemy fire. Toss a grenade in front of you as you backpedal to take out as many as possible. Make sure you have a loaded shotgun at all times.

Try using melee attacks and vehicles when possible to save your ammo.

Hope these help.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Try to use the environment to your advatage as much as possible. If you're going to use the old "strategy" of just running in with all guns blazing, you're going to be dead. These enemies are damn smart...well, maybe not The Flood but, the covenant will hand you your ass.

Hide behind rocks, take cover behind corners in hallways, snipe when possible, run enemies over with the Warthog, never let the enemy get behind you, if possible.

Hunters used to be my bane. Hated them! Scared of them. Well, not anymore. Let them come in close to you and simply sidestep as they run by. They don't stop too easily. When they run by you, turn around and start blowing holes in their backs before they turn around and charge at you again. They have no armor there. Kind of like playing a matador in a bullfight.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I'm currently in the Library right now on Normal level, I think the best weapon against the Flood is that Shotgun! One shot takes those baddies down and those fat ass guys that explode into puny skull guys. Typically, I ignore the skull guys and just go after the big swiper things and the fat ass guys, No point in wasting shotgun ammo on skulls. Unless I feel like switching to my assault rifle and taking out the skulls.

Other basic tips, always keep an eye on the scanner, if you get hit move immediated. You almost want to be moving when facing the little Covenant grunts cause they like to throw grenades which sometimes I don't see or hear. You can also listen to the grunts when they throw a grenade if you don't see the vapor trail, they'll say things like "here it comes" or sometime obvious, then you know it's high time to move from that spot.

I wish after all that 24th century technology, that that designer designed a stinking map in the HUD... I spend half the levels wandering around trying to find the next checkpoint. And that stupid flashlight that goes off after a minute. I mean any moron today can go out and get a flashlight that lasts a few YEARS, yet this 24th stupid piece of crap will shut off after like 30 seconds. Arrrggg..

Jay

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the tips, the later levels sound exciting.

I didn't play yesterday, but I left off on The Silent Cartographer. I am working on the second set of Hunters.

I will agree with whoever said that patience is the key. Patience, and a steady aim.

All in all, this has moved up the ranks quickly to become one of my all-time favorite games, and it is easily the most engrosing game I've ever played. The 5.1 surround REALLY adds a dimension to the game.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Ha wait til you get to after The Library and have to destroy the energy generators (3 of them).. Ugh, I spent almost a whole night getting out of the 2nd generator blowup cause I was down to 2 health and the game auto-saves!!! So you either have to restart from saved checkpoint immediately, or risk being in a crappy position to have to do everything perfectly. It's still posible in Normal level but I wonder how the harder levels will be. I wish we had an option to save when we want, Then I spent all this afternoon getting past the hordes in the 3rd generator. Those invisible elites who don't seem to move much are a pain. But I'm now past that and right at the start of the next level.
Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I am now currently in The Maw and in the engineering room where you have to detonate the PoA with the Monitor guy hanging around... I just finished (finally!) the mess hall battle with those damm elites, damm that was a pain until I noticed another tip (I'll put it in spoilers cause it seems like a big tip)

It appears that there are already a bunch of plasma grenades on the floor when you get to that section (after the bridge and Cyro and before Engineering) cause I was having a hell of a time killing them until I noticed that the one grenade that I tossed while halfway in the room seemed to set off a chain reaction which took out every covenant in that room save for one. Then I simply finished him off with a shotgun while dodging a last grenade attempt.....

I also found something weird with the end of the Keyes level where you find Keyes mutated, when you have to get a Banshee to escape, you don't need to kill all those elites, just get in the banshee and you go right to a cutscene. I spent another half night trying to wipe them out before just giving up and trying to see if I can get them with the banshee (usually it's suicidal, especially with grenade tossing elites)

Careful of those exploding Flood guys. I don't know how many times shooting one of them setof some huge grenade chain reaction and I wind up dieing from it. Either get the hell away or start using grenades yourself so you can pick up all the ones lying on the ground.

Jay

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
The biggest tip I can give would be think before you run out with guns blazing. In other games I've played, that strategy works fine. But not in Halo. The enemies are smart. They will surround you and systematically take you down.

Don't ever throw a plasma grenade at the flood. If it sticks to one of them, your're toast - they are always running towards you. Throwing plasma grenades at those little covenent wankers is very effective, though. They (in easier levels) always run away from you - usually into their own. In more difficult modes, there are more Kamikaze's, so be more careful about grenade use.

Jared

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Some great tips here already. The only thing I would add is that in the Flood levels, especially the Library, I found it impossible to advance unless I slowly and methodically blasted every creepy-crawly that came at me. Don't try to run past them! Stay back, keep them in front of you, and mow 'em down like the killing machine you are! I died jillions of times before I finally took my time, dug in, and sanitized the hallways completely before advancing.
The outdoor levels I've found you can skip ahead and make mad dashes for your objectives, but the indoor ones I found it much easier to take my time. And then I restarted on Heroic...but that's another tale... :)

Dan B

Screenwriter
I've also recently completed it the 2nd time (Heroic difficulty). It was more enjoyable than the first time through on Normal. I also noticed that there are different cut scenes in some areas depending on whether or not you accomplish certain tasks which are not needed to complete a level. An example is the Halo level, where you get a different scene if you save marines at times.
As for Legendary...damn it! I'm not a good loser. I'm getting my butt kicked. :angry:
-Dan B

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
If you're name is Steve Spurrier, you won't beat Halo, otherwise you'll get wasted extremely easy. Patience is the key. If you've got to stay up all night getting through one section, so be it.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Derrick and Dan (and anyone else who may have beaten Halo on Heroic)--you guys are my...for lack of a better word...HEROES!!! I'm still in the last part of the Truth and Reconciliation level and getting my hiney soundly kicked every time I boot it up. Wow, is Heroic tough!! Congrats to you guys, man, I'm not sure I have what it takes to finish it at this level.
And Legendary after this? Please. No way for this Master Chief! :)

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Dave - I'm not doing it again to beat it on Legendary. :frowning: Great game but, I don't have the desire to see it, yet again, at an even harder level.
I'll tell ya this though, the biggest change I made when playing it through the 2nd time on a harder level was to get rid of that lame ass, military standard machine gun.
Loved it the 1st time through and really didn't want to use any of them "dirty" Covenant weapons but, you know what...those Covenant jagoffs have some pretty good weaponry. The pulse rifle that most elites carry is alot better than the marine version. Dump your rifle and grab a pulse rifle.
...unless you already have.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yeah, I was soo tempted to ditch the assault rifle, except for the fact that the pulse rifle would overheat so rapidly and I'm so clumsy with the MS controller, I always have trouble locating the Y button to change the weapons. Once I met the Flood, the only must have weapon was the Shotgun, the other would alternate between any of the other weapons around. What is really cool is the overcharged plasma pistol, it seems that firing is somewhat guided, like the needler, it was a great method of killing elites from afar cause one shot could almost kill their shield and if they're in the open you could get two-three overcharged shots in before they run for cover so you have a shot at killing them long range. Other than that, I'd always try to go for the plasma rifle. I think if I replay that in Heroic or Legendary, I'd ditch the AR too at the first opportunity.

I just finished the game on Normal, can you actually make the very last jump with the Warthog? Cortana says you can but I've tried it a couple times, never seem to be even close. I wind up dropping a huge drop and then continuing. The first time I got to the end, where you see the barrels, I still thought I had to drive further so I'm just trying to get the warthog through the jeeps and then time runs out. After awhile I got some silly notion to get out and run and then I finished it.. Silly me!

Jay

Can anyone tell me what the alternate ending is at the Legendary setting?

I just finished the game on "Easy" - please, no comments....this is my first console and first game ever (except Pong)...no, I'm not kidding.

I will never have the patience or time to complete it on this setting.....but I would still like to know.....

Thanx

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks