XBox tunneling question(Mac OS X)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Bennett, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Well folks, the day has finally arrived. I was going to buy an xbox but low and behold the two best buy stores near me were out of them. I figured I'd wait a while longer. Then last night my brother offered to sell me his xbox, splinter cell, all star baseball 2003, madden 2002, nba inside drive 2002, NHL 2002, S controller, regular controller, and advanced AV pack for 160 bucks as his car is in need of some big repairs. I ended up giving him an extra twenty, but for 180 bucks I got a great deal. Anyhow, I picked up Halo and now have my xbox connected to my router. I'm trying to figure out how to play it online using the tunneling software. Here's where it gets tricky. I'm running Mac OS X and I'm using the Aquaduct program and I can't quite figure it out. Any other OS X users care to enlighten me? Also, from what I've heard i'll only be able to play against other people using Aquaduct (not PC players using gamespy). If that's the case, do any of you folks have run OS X? If so let me know and we can try to set up a game at some point. I'll probably be getting live in a little bit but right now I've got enough games to keep me busy. Thanks for any tips.

2. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

For that matter...I'm running Mac OS 9.2.
    If there is ANYWAY I can play Halo online...please let me know!

BTW, Dave,,,welcome to the club!
    Now go & get Live & buy either MechAssault or Ghost Recon & come back into the fold!

Calvin

3. Jeffrey Johnson

Jeffrey Johnson Stunt Coordinator

I'm running Aquaduct on OSX, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet (my buddy who's running OSX let someone borrow his Halo). I think you just have to put in an IP address for the host of the game. While Aquaduct is running, go to Aquaduct help (I forgot where, exactly, and I'm in front of my PeeCee at work). The help file is pretty good, from what I remember.

If you're interested, we can try playing.

I've heard (but haven't tried) that you can run Virtual PC and run Xbox Connect in that with no problem. I don't have a copy of VPC with which to try it, though.

4. Dave Bennett

Jeffrey,
    I thought about using Virtual PC but like you I don't own a copy(never really had the need to run PC apps). I think I figured out Aquaduct last night but now I'm just waiting to find someone to play against. There's a pretty extensive list of users in the aquaduct support forum so hopefully I'll find someone either here or there.

5. Jeffrey Johnson

Sounds good. Let me know how it works!

6. hwshi

hwshi Stunt Coordinator

hi dave, i used to use aquaduct on os/x (i've since switched to pc.).
    it's quite easy to use, trick is finding people to play with. what to do is get aquaduct users gameranger ids', which is a program much like any instant messenger program and lets you find someone to play with.go here to find people.it's made up of mac aquaduct users.
    get gameranger at any mac os/x download site. i.e. versiontracker.com ....
    happy fragging!

7. Dave Bennett

I went ahead and downloaded Gameranger last night. I remembered using it to play Aliens Vs. Predator online(wow was that really over a year ago when i finally decided to give up on computer gaming and go console?!?). It looks like it'll take some fiddling and luck finding people but it seems like it should work. On a side note, does anyone know if I can play a system link game against other xboxes connected to my campus network? My friend lives in another dorm(and we can share files on the LAN without problems) and we're wondering it we could do a system link remotely via our campus network. I suppose I'll find out in a few days [​IMG]
    Cal,
    It looks like most of what aquaduct does relies on "low level" system stuff in OS X(or so say the developers) so it appears that an OS 9 version is a no go. Out of curiosity, are you running an older mac that doesn't run Jaguar well? I'm running a meager G4 350 with 512mb ram and OS X is very nice, not quite as fast as OS 9 but definitely close. At any rate, I'll be picking up Live at some point, though I'm not sure when. I just hope the gamer tag I'd like to use isn't taken by then(Cardiff Giant). I wonder how many people will get the reference [​IMG]

8. Jeffrey Johnson

I'm having trouble getting this to work. Have any of you had luck getting it to work? It's recognizing my xbox, but I am unable to host or connect to my friend's aquaduct. I opened up the ports, but it didn't help. Any ideas?

9. Dave Bennett

Jeffrey,
    Not sure as I haven't found anyone to play with. I'm free for the rest of the evening if you'd like to try it. Perhaps it's a config problem somewhere along the line?
    Private Message me if you're interested

10. Dave Bennett

To any other OS X users looking for a way to find when other Aquaduct users are online, someone created a room on AIM by the name of aquaduct chat. You can get to it by going to this page and clicking the link. I'll be in there from time to time when I'm up for a game. Hopefully I can try this tunneling thing out.
    http://muphped.tripod.com/aquaductchatroom/

11. Jeffrey Johnson

Dave,
    I'd love to try some time, so that we can determine whether the problem is on my end or his end. I'm not sure when I'll be available in the next couple days, but if I am, I'll turn on AIM. Send me a message if you're available at the same time. jubjub419
    Thanks!
    Jeff

12. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Ignorant question time:

I'm not following this thread at all. Perhaps because I don't know what "tunneling" is. Maybe someone can take a stab at educating me?

Why can't you play on Xbox Live if you have a Macintosh? If your Xbox is connected to a router why does the Mac matter at all? My PC and Mac connected to my router have no effect on my Xbox Live performance at all.

I assume Aquaduct is supposed to allow you to mate online Mac games to their counterparts in the PC world? So, that's a separate question from getting the Xbox online?

Pardon my idiocy...I don't game on my Mac (obviously).

13. Dave Bennett

Camp
    Tunneling is using a program on a PC or Mac that allows you to play system link Xbox games over the internet(Halo for example). You connect the PC(or Mac) to the same router as the XBox and load up a system link game on the xbox. Then you run the program on the computer and you can play system link games over the internet for free. It's currently the only way to play Halo online. XBox live works just fine if you don't have a PC(you don't need any computer to use it) but this is seperate from Live. I'll be getting live at some point but I wanna try doing some Halo online and it seems its much trickier to find people to play against as the Mac tunneling software is not compatible with the PC tunelling software and also doesn't include a game browser. Hope that cleared it up.

14. Jeffrey Johnson

It's like Dave said. I've got Live and my Mac working just fine on a router, but I want to play some Halo online, which isn't possible with Live (until Halo 2, that is)...

15. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Got it. I'm an idiot...I remember tunneling...it's just that with the release of Live I totally forgot about it.

Thanks guys.