What's new

Best sub $300 subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard a lot of good reviews about the Sony SA-WM40, but it's not available where I live, so I don't even know how it sounds. What other subwoofer can you guys recommend that would give me good performance?
Thanks in advance ;)

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Its tough to get a decent sub at that price range. Perhaps you could try some of the Adire Audio DIY sub kits. They have several under $300.

Cave Canem

Auditioning
To bad you cant get the Sony sub. For the price there isn't anything better.
You could get an Aiwa for about $150. There was one at CC, 10", 150watt.
Trying looking online for the Sony WM-40. Im sure there are others out there for under $300. Look at www.audioreview.com and compare.

Arron H

Second Unit
The HSU VF2 around $400 is supposed to be excellent although I have not had the opportunity to audition one. If you can go $549 + shipping, the SVS 25-31PCi is considered to be a great bargain. The Dharman subs are also supposed to be really good. It's tougher to find a decent sub in your price range at local audio/video retailers but you might start watching for sales.

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
Hmm? I don't mind with smaller and cheaper items. I think a problem would be that I usually only accept Paypal payments. I guess you could "wire" me the money via Western Union. Where are you located? Check out my reputation as a seller at Link Removed
Jim

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
The Velodyne CT series is worth looking at if you're on a tight budget. If you can stretch a bit more, the Hsu Research VTF-2 will offer you a lot more. The VTF-2 is highly acclaimed and is THE budget sub to look at.

Norman L

Second Unit
Sony SA-WM40, is available at SEARS.com for $199 in stock with a 30 day return policy or try a SEARS store near you.

What is story on the sub. What is it so good for $199?

Does it come close to the SVS 25-31CS or PCi?

Chad Parks

Stunt Coordinator
After you do the polyfill mod on the Sony WAM-40, it's a very nice sub for the price. Before the mod it was WAY too 'boomy', but the polyfill tightens up the sound considerably.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Ryan

See if you can find an Audiosource SW Fifteen, far better than the Sony and also at less than 200 bucks. It uses a 15 inch driver with a 200 watts amplifier. It will best the Sony for about 5Hz on the extension and also will be louder than it.

Richard_s

Second Unit
I Just got the sa-wm40 and hooked it up last night. At first it was definitely "boomy" and seemed to be muffled so sound quality bad and low base boomed. Took out my AVIA disk and found a few things real quick. The SUB was in a corner but moving it closer to the wall minimized the "muffled" sound. Based on some research the SUB should be within 1/8 wavelength from any reflecting surface to avoid interfearance (cancelling of some sound). This means the the SUB needs to be 53cm or closer to the reflecting surface(s) 21 inches. Once I moved the SUB closer to the walls I was suprised at how much this eliminated the "muffled" sound also had the phase set wrong for my acoustics. Next I did a quick (it was late) speaker to SUB level balance using AVIA as well as a crossover adjust to keep a FLAT response 170Hz to 32Hz when mixed with my front and center channels (either I cant hear below this or the SUB cuts out). The "booming" problem was minimized. What was wrong is I had the crossover set much too low and had the power set much too high. I have to give it the "real" test all I did is play a classical piece and a base intensive Dave Matthews CD and they both sounded quite good (moderate "booming" quite aceptable to my ears but could be improved).
How does one do the Polyfill mod? What is the idea behind the "spiked feet" and how tall are they? Like I said most but not all the "boomy" sound is under control but would love to improve further.

Carl Normand

Auditioning
Take a look @ the Axiom EP125. I got one about a month ago and I really like it. It normally sells for around 275$

I did a lot of reading on this forum and decided on the JBL PB10. It was $199 with free shipping from J&R and they have the PB12 for $299. I have had it for a couple of days and it sounds a lot better than the $350 jobs Circuit City was trying to sell me...

Richard_s

Second Unit
Justin The JBL at JandR right now the prices are are PB10 (5 years warranty) is $299 and the PB12 (5 years warranty) is $399 same price at BestBuy. This is why I went to the Sony SA-WM40 that one was on sale at Best Buy for $179 +$30 to get up to 4years on the warranty.
Best Buy also had the PB10 and PB12 on sale $20 off. Also check their web site its discounted there also. You can order online with Best Buy and choose pick-up at a store near you (no shipping charge this way). If that store does not have the product then they will cancel your order and offer you if you order with ground shipping they will give you free shipping to your door. Of course you can still return to the store if need be.
I purchased my JBL N26's and N-center from JandR just two weeks ago so JandR is a good place to buy at the time I save over $100 for the speakers.If you have to return to www.jandr.com you will get stuck for return shipping and a restock fee. With Best Buy no problem. I see no savings on the SUBs at JandR they are selling the pb10 and pb12 at list. I would only buy from them if the savings are significant.
Ryan:
When you say international where do you mean some of the places we ar recommending to buy may not ship there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks