What's new

Atmos vs non Atmos (1 Viewer)

NewAtThis

Auditioning
Real Name
Shehak
Hi,

I'm new to the whole home theater segment. I own a fairly cheap vizio soundbar and subwoofer from a few years back. I dont think I spent more than 300 dollars back then.

I'm now looking into something better, but still dont want to break the bank too much. Keeping it under 2000.

I've been reading about dolby atmos and was wondering if it's worth it? I like the feeling of having sound really run through your body, but is this tech too limited right now?

I'm comparing the following two soundbar and sub woofer combos

1. SONY HT-ST5000 - DOLBY Atmos (1299.99)

Vs

2. BOSE Soundtouch 300 soundbar plus Accoustimass 300 (1399.98)

Which would perform the best and give me the best feeling? One with dolby Atmos and the other not.

The room I'm setting up in is a lounge area which is about 12x11 feet. 2 full walls front and back. 1 side wall with a window. 1 side open.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:welcome: to the HTF!

I've moved your thread to our Speaker/Subwoofer Sub-Forum--which is most appropriate for the subject and the place most likely to get you some informed answers.

One question to get things started: are you locked into getting a soundbar instead of a surround speaker system?

NewAtThis

Auditioning
Real Name
Shehak
:welcome: to the HTF!

I've moved your thread to our Speaker/Subwoofer Sub-Forum--which is most appropriate for the subject and the place most likely to get you some informed answers.

One question to get things started: are you locked into getting a soundbar instead of a surround speaker system?

I'm open to ideas. Im just looking for great immersive sound and feeling.
Main reason I went for soundbar is because its visually appealing and seems like it carries great sound.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Very important question regarding Atmos - do you have vaulted or cathedral ceilings in your room?

Can you provide photos or diagrams of the room? Some rooms, due to their ceilings and walls (or lack thereof) make a huge difference on how the room would be set up soundwise.

NewAtThis

Auditioning
Real Name
Shehak
Very important question regarding Atmos - do you have vaulted or cathedral ceilings in your room?

Can you provide photos or diagrams of the room? Some rooms, due to their ceilings and walls (or lack thereof) make a huge difference on how the room would be set up soundwise.

9 foot standard ceiling. It's not vaulted.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
You may also want to take a listen to the Yamaha YSP-5600 ($1599). It has both Dolby Atmos and DTS: X, one of the few soundbars that do.

If you want to save a little money, look for a soundbar or receiver that offers DTS Virtual: X. Not everyone likes "virtual" surround modes, but I've actually demoed this feature on my Denon AVR-S930 receiver at home, and while it is not as good as true Dolby Atmos or DTS: X, it actually sounded pretty darn close with only two speakers. The only catch with DTS Virtual: X is that you cannot feed it Dolby sources (due to licensing restraints). What I did during my demo was feed it PCM for anything Dolby, so then you are getting very simulated or virtual. The nice thing, though, about going this approach, is you can go with a receiver and possibly a 2.1 or 3.1 speaker setup and expand to surrounds and heights later on. I've seen Denon S730 and S930 on clearance (they are 2017 models) going for well-under $400. That would give you $1500 or so to spend on a sub and speakers.

Major rule of thumb, though - buy what sounds best for you, and I highly recommend purchasing from a local brick and mortar retailer so you can exchange something if it doesn't sound good in your home (make sure there will be NO restocking fee to return the item if you don't like it). Speakers, especially soundbars, sound differently in a retail environment than they will in your home.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
If you want truly immersive sound I would avoid soundbars altogether. Since you didn't mention video, I'll assume your available budget is for audio. RSL has some great speaker packages starting at less than 1K. That would leave you enough for a decent receiver such as this one perhaps.

If you go this route you won't have Atmos on day one but would be prepared for it later, needing only to add the height speakers. True Atmos is probably better handled as a gradual goal anyway unless you have an unlimited budget or serious DIY skills.

Welcome and good luck!

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
FYI - the receiver John is recommending is capable of Atmos in a 5.1.2 configuration (front left/front center/front right/left surround/right surround/left height/right height/subwoofer).

FrontLeft--------FrontCenter--------FrontRight
Subwoofer

LeftHeight--------------RightHeight

LeftSurround-----------------------RightSurround

NewAtThis

Auditioning
Real Name
Shehak
Thanks for the responses so far. This is helpful. When I went in store and asked other people, no one even mentioned getting stand alone speakers and using a receiver. That made me think soundbar was the correct way to go, especially since I've never messed around with a receiver before.

Are there any good speaker/receiver bundles or combinations or is buying speakers and receiver on their own the best route? Also, it seems like this would end up being a lot of wiring.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
FYI - the receiver John is recommending is capable of Atmos in a 5.1.2 configuration (front left/front center/front right/left surround/right surround/left height/right height/subwoofer).

FrontLeft--------FrontCenter--------FrontRight
Subwoofer

LeftHeight--------------RightHeight

LeftSurround-----------------------RightSurround

Good catch, Todd.

This would be the better option but would likely exceed the stated budget. Of course other manufacturers may have better prices on 9.2 channel Atmos capable receivers. Yamaha and Onkyo are probably worth a look.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks for the responses so far. This is helpful. When I went in store and asked other people, no one even mentioned getting stand alone speakers and using a receiver. That made me think soundbar was the correct way to go, especially since I've never messed around with a receiver before.

Are there any good speaker/receiver bundles or combinations or is buying speakers and receiver on their own the best route? Also, it seems like this would end up being a lot of wiring.
Spend a little time on the RSL site. SVS and Axiom also have bundled packages [as do others] but I believe RSL is probably the current value leader.

You're right about the wiring. That's Home Theater! :) Some hire others to do the work while others do it themselves. I'm usually of the latter camp but there's nothing wrong with the former if you can afford it. I'll tell you this. Either way you go, if you love film [and I know you do] it will ultimately be worth the effort.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Good catch, Todd. This would be the better option but would exceed the stated budget. Of course, other manufacturers may have better prices on 9.2 channel Atmos capable receivers. Yamaha and Onkyo are probably worth a look.

Also, since you linked to a Marantz model, Denon would be another good option. Denon and Marantz are now one company, and the Denon models are generally a little less expensive to the comparable Marantz models.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I have a feeling that the OP is looking for something much simpler that is going to give him better sound than he had before.

I really hope we have not, collectively, overwhelmed him......

Remember, he is going from an entry-level sound bar to something better.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'm willing to put in some effort. As long as we aren't going from 0 to 100 right away lol.
See post #7. :) Take your time... For me, that's actually part of the fun, but you do want to avoid buying components that you already know won't fit your ultimate goal as they will eventually become expensive paperweights with VERY limited resale value.

My original recommendations stand. Get yourself a quality [Atmos capable] receiver and the best speakers you can afford with what's left of your budget. This way, adding Atmos speakers later won't render your receiver obsolete and you won't have to buy another one, knowing you had Atmos in mind all along..

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Take it for what it's worth, but I would say soundbars are just a step above the TV's built-in audio, and that's it. I would never spend more than about $300 on and would never expect any kind of surround performance. You're better off with a minimal 3.0 or 3.1 setup. The idea of an Atmos soundbar can't be anything other than marketing BS.

Now that I have that out of the way, Sam mentioned the Pioneer Atmos speakers, and I think they have (reflecting) bookshelf models, not exactly cheap, but I recall $500/pr. Throw in a matching center and a BIC F-12 sub, and you have a decent, Atmos(ish) 3.1 system. Get a recent refurb Denon receiver and you're probably still under the cost of a completely worthless Bose. Sorry to be blunt, but that brand is 98% snake oil. I know John mentioned Marantz, and he and I both have Marantz running our surround, but that is not the brand for maximum bang for the buck. Right now, Denon is a better move for your goals.

I seem to be in a blunt mood, but that little 3.1(.2) system would be simple, and I bet you're blown away by the improvement over what you're considering. Honestly, Atmos just isn't simple to implement in any meaningful way, so you might consider the non-Atmos Pioneer speakers instead. I think they run $200 or less a pr. The RSLs John mentioned seem pretty sweet as well. There's always the ELAC Debut B5.2 and B6.2, but they're significantly larger speakers, which it sounds like you might not want.

Last edited:

NewAtThis

Auditioning
Real Name
Shehak
Take it for what it's worth, but I would say soundbars are just a step above the TV's built-in audio, and that's it. I would never spend more than about $300 on and would never expect any kind of surround performance. You're better off with a minimal 3.0 or 3.1 setup. The idea of an Atmos soundbar can't be anything other than marketing BS.

Now that I have that out of the way, Sam mentioned the Pioneer Atmos speakers, and I think they have (reflecting) bookshelf models, not exactly cheap, but I recall $500/pr. Throw in a matching center and a BIC F-12 sub, and you have a decent, Atmos(ish) 3.1 system. Get a recent refurb Denon receiver and you're probably still under the cost of a completely worthless Bose. Sorry to be blunt, but that brand is 98% snake oil. I know John mentioned Marantz, and he and I both have Marantz running our surround, but that is not the brand for maximum bang for the buck. Right now, Denon is a better move for your goals.

I seem to be in a blunt mood, but that little 3.1(.2) system would be simple, and I bet you're blown away by the improvement over what you're considering. Honestly, Atmos just isn't simple to implement in any meaningful way, so you might consider the non-Atmos Pioneer speakers instead. I think they run $200 or less a pr. The RSLs John mentioned seem pretty sweet as well. There's always the ELAC Debut B5.2 and B6.2, but they're significantly larger speakers, which it sounds like you might not want.

This type of bluntness is refreshing because at least you are hitting back at the product rather than me like reddit does. Much appreciated.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Like are there any good receivers that aren't as much as that 999 one?

Sure. Several. Receivers are like anything else in the hobby. You just need to decide on what features you want and how much you are willing to spend.

When thinking about receiver features you need to take into account connectivity (how many sources you will be feeding in/out of the gear, USB ports, etc.), what kind of output/speaker setup you want (basic surround/Atmos, etc.) and what features you want (Airplay, Audyssey--or other speaker calibration, etc.). Then, based on pricepoint, which features do you get and which do you compromise on.

A couple great resources I always throw out to people looking to upgrade from starter systems are accessories4less.com and Crutchfield. Both sites have refurbished or open-box gear that is discounted but still comes with a limited warranty. I have purchased from both and feel good about those purchases. You'll find enough options to set your head swimming. But as you start to look around (especially at Crutchfield) you'll also find some good supporting material to explain a lot about the types of features you might encounter in an HT receiver. Articles like these:

HT Receivers Buyers Guide

9 Reasons to Replace your HT Receiver

Good luck with your decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickNick
Recent bookmarks