What's new

Best Home Theater 5.1 Receiver for $500 (1 Viewer)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
It would be hard to limit it to 5.1 as most are now 7.1. However, those last 2 channels can sit dormant - until you decide to use them at some point in the future.

As far as recommending a receiver in this price range, I'd point out that the Yamaha HTR-5790, purchased through an Internet vendor for $530 or has to be about the best deal.

Aside from that, you could look at used gear. Since your desire is for a 5.1 system, that leaves lots of options open. Dolby Pro Logic IIx is not a requirement and the former, DPL II, would suffice.

Tyson Wetzel

Stunt Coordinator
I'd look at the not yet released Denon AVR-1905 at $499. It's feature list is pretty impressive at this price range. Most notably powered zone 2 out, 3 component video inputs, and component video up conversion.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Depending on what you have for speakers, the Panasonic XR-25, XR-45 or newer XR-50 and soon to be released XR-70 digital amp receivers are considered by many (on many different forums not just this one) to be the best quality sound for the money. All under your $500 target (not sure about the XR-70).

Reports from numerous users who are using the XR-45 as a 2-channel integrated amp to replace >$5,000 traditional preamp/amp systems to drive high-end speakers testify to good sound quality. This is based on using the digital output from a CD or DVD player to the digital input of the Panasonic receiver.

These Panasonic receivers all use the same TI (Texas Instruments) digital amp technology.

I think the Kenwood (7100?) is also using this same TI technology.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Greg,
Like wayne said Yamaha 5790, Denon 1905(though I don't think it is out yet or no reviews yet), Refurb HK 525, Pioneer 1014,

If you want the latest/greatest stuff then it would be between the Pioneer and Yammie and be more of a preference thing.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'd look at the Pioneer VSX-1014TX. It's exactly the same as the Pioneer Elite 52TX which sells for $800. It's available from www.onecall.com w/ free 3day fedex shipping for $450. I got mine from a local HT shop for $450 out the door (including tax). Mine will arrive on friday or monday so I should be able to give a better review and comparisson to my current Elite 43TX then.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
There is no universal best. It depends entirely on what your NEEDS are. What may work for one person may not work for another.

And I'm sure this question has been asked a zillion times on this forum. The Search feature is your friend.

Pauli

Grip
I would suggest the Sony DA1000ES for that price. Though Sony might not be the brand with the most street credibility here, it works and has got good reviews in europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks