What's new

best deal on Mondial MAGIC BOX? (1 Viewer)

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
After moving, I discovered that i'll need Mondial's MAGIC - cable tv coax ground isolator to remove humming from my system. It's $90-$100 at most places that I checked. Any ideas on who might have it for less?

Elbert

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
All you need is this...
humless.jpg

Print the image, go to Radio Shack, spend 10 bucks, install it between the cable input and the first device it goes into and no more hum.
Mike

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
WELLLL - I'm in the middle of purchasing the new Monster HTPS7000 and I inquired with Monster about it's benefits and specifically, whether the catv coax filtering/protection also provides ground loop isolation. THe answer was "no", but he did sat that improper grounding from the CATV coax cables is "dangerous" and should be addressed by an technician.

So, on my way out today, I bumped into an AT&T cable technician. Told him about my problem and he looked up at my house and noticed the bunch of cable wires coming down from the roof. He immediately said that the installation was improper and pointed next door where the coax cable was neatly wired down the side of the house and into a box. He called customer service for me and set an appointment on Wednesday to have a tech come out correct the problem which will involve drilling and taping into my main electrical circuit breaker box. Very impressed and FREE.

Elbert

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
AT&T Cable Technician came today and ran a new ground wire to from the main cable line to the main ground. (Used the existing telephone tubing to run the wire through the wall). It reduced the loudness of the hum significantly but did not eliminate it. He even disconnected the cable from all of the houses on the block to see if it's not neighbors' wiring that is causing the hum (that's dedicaton)

He's returning tomorrow with a ground loop isolator/filter and another solution which I'm not sure of... Hopefully, it will eliminate the humming.

Elbert

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Spend the ten bucks at Radio Shack and build the little isolater in the image above. I have one and everyone I have told to build one said it worked like a charm.

You are banging your head against the wall needlessly.

Mike

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
Mike - I'll probably end up doing that too. But hey, I'm getting all of this service from AT&T for free and it may reduce or eliminate the problem at its source so I won't have to bother with my other HT setup as well (only slight hum from that one since its lower current and only the Monster HTS3500 power center is producing some noise)

Elbert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks