What's new

Directors Best Contemporary Actress Tournament (2 Viewers)

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Julie Christie
Naomi Watts

No contest here, I would only call Roberts, Berry and Ryan 'actresses' on a technicality as they have actually appeared in movies and that counts as something.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Ah hell, what's the point? Bracket after bracket overrated actressess (of which Julie Christie and Naomi Watts certainly qualify) win. I'll just leave it to others to finish this one up.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
I'll go with Mary Steenburgen if only for the mere fact that I have an unexplainable attraction to her. Not exactly classically pretty, and a somewhat annoying voice, but still something there. Just a little snippet from my darkside.

Naomi in the other.

Hairy backs are no-no's around here. :)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales

It's called an Oedipal Complex - there's something maternal about her and yet you still want to hit it. :)

That said, I'll toss out a vote for Mary Steenburgen too. And I'll go with Naomi Watts (surprise!).

Julie Christie and Naomi Watts advance.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Round 1 - Bracket 19

Sandrine Bonnaire

Born in 1967, this French actress is best known for her role in Vagabond. She's also appeared in Monsieur Hire, Under the Sun of Satan and Intimate Strangers. Has a child with William Hurt (at least something was happening on the set of The Plague).

vs.

Franka Potente

Born in 1974, this immensely appealing little fraulein first got noticed for Run Lola Run, a role written especially for her. You can also see her in The Princess and the Warrior, Anatomy, Blueprint and The Bourne Identity.

vs.

Juliette Lewis (wildcard)

Born in 1973, this talented gal seems to like playing skanky types. She got raves for her turn in Martin Scorsese's Cape Fear and went on to star in Natural Born Killers, Strange Days, Kalifornia and Old School.

Round 1 - Bracket 20

Angela Bassett

Born in 1958, this captivating African American actress won an Oscar for her performance as Tina Turner in What's Love Got to Do With It. She's also been in Contact, The Score, Sunshine State, Music of the Heart and Akeelah and the Bee.

vs.

Gwyneth Paltrow

Born in 1975, Blythe Danner's little girl has turned into a damn fine actress. Taking on a wide variety of roles, she's been in Se7en, Emma, Shallow Hal, The Royal Tenenbaums and Proof (2005). She won an Oscar for (and much to my delight, got naked in) Shakespeare in Love. She'll be playing Marlene Dietrich in an upcoming film - should be interesting.

vs.

Annette Bening (wildcard)

Born in 1958, this solid and likeable Kansas native has turned in a slew of fine performances in Bugsy, Regarding Henry, American Beauty, Richard III (1995) and Open Range. She's been Oscar-nominated three times. Got naked in The Grifters. Married to Warren Beatty.

"I realized life is so short and precious, you should do things that make you feel inspired, that push you and teach you something. I'd rather not have a big house, a huge closet of clothes, diamonds and a private plane, and instead a body of work that I'm proud of."

- Gwyneth Paltrow

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
These are like the "future of Film" rounds for me. We'll be hearing about these ones for decades to come.

Franka Potente - International, bold choices along with big name movies.

Gwyneth Paltrow - I had a bit of a revelation this year. Gwyneth is a fine actress. My whole perspective has been adjusted. hopefully she can overcome the undeserved stigma she has been saddled with.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Agree completely.

Lewis has potential, but hasn't shown much range (at least in the films I've seen her in) and the skanky image is a turn off. Bonnaire is a fine actress, though of the three in this matchup, she's the one I'm the least familiar with. In any case, Franka is definitely the standout here and will get my vote.

Bassett and Bening are very good, respectable actresses, but seem to be idling while Paltrow has really come to the fore. She'll get my vote as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks