What's new

Directors Best Contemporary Actress Tournament (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales

Well, um, she just kind of exudes this big sister vibe, or if you will, sexy stepsister vibe. :D

Still no votes for Emmy? Buncha crack-smokin' expletive deleted!!! :frowning:

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Charlotte Rampling - voting against my own write-in nomination of Bellucci who is indeed stunning, but hasn't yet displayed the acting chops of Ms Rampling

Catherine Keener - a smart and sexy lady. Judy Davis is quite good too, but for some bizarre reason, insists on appearing in 'whiteface', that is, a completely white-powdered face (???) Make-up people don't like her much :)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'll vote for...wait for it...Emmanuelle Beart and Laura Linney (tough choice over Keener).

Charlotte Rampling and Laura Linney advance.

Everyone but George and Justin is a poop-head.

Next matchups in a few...

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Round 1 - Bracket 13

Diane Keaton

Born in 1946, she is best known for her work with Woody Allen - they've done eight films together. You can see her in Manhattan, Annie Hall, Reds, The Little Drummer Girl, Town & Country and The Family Stone. She's been Oscar-nominated four times. She also directs.

vs.

Holly Hunter

Born in 1958, this Georgia belle had one line in The Burning, but really lit up the screen in Broadcast News. She's also appeared in Raising Arizona, Always, Home for the Holidays and Crash (David Cronenberg's, not the crappy Oscar-winner). She received the Best Actress Oscar for her performance in The Piano.

vs.

Kathleen Turner (wildcard)

Born in 1954, this husky-voiced actress smouldered in Body Heat, then went on to star in Romancing the Stone, The Accidental Tourist, The War of the Roses and Peggy Sue Got Married.

Round 1 - Bracket 14

Keira Knightley

Born in 1985, this slender gal first got noticed for Bend It Like Beckham. She has since been featured in Pirates of the Caribbean, Love Actually and Domino. She received a Best Actress Oscar nomination for her performance in the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice.

vs.

Natalie Portman

Born in 1981, this fanboy fav made a splash in Leon. She then went on to appear in Heat, Garden State, Closer and the Star Wars prequels.

vs.

Winona Ryder (wildcard)

Born in 1971, this waifish chiquita bonita got some notice for not busting ghosts in Beetlejuice. She's also been in Heathers, Night on Earth, The Age of Innocence and Little Women.

"Actors are beggars and gypsies, that's just the way it is. And in many ways, I take what I can get. But I do search high and low for stuff that interests me."

- Diane Keaton

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
No Crimes of Passion for Kathleen Turner?

Holly Hunter

Keira Knightly
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

This post is rated PG-13 for Suggestive Material

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales

Thought about it, but I can't include everything. :)

Keira is indeed a hotty, but I've had a you-know-what for Winona for a looooong time. :D

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Love Diane, but have to give the nod to the more versatile Holly Hunter

Abstain on #2 as I don't think I've ever seen a movie with Keira Knightly.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Diane Keaton - A top notch actress who has had a long and impressive career. Once again, someone who is quite worthy of moving on won't because of an exceptionally tough match.

Holly Hunter - Simply put, one of the best actresses around right now.

Kathleen Turner - Interesting and talented, but no match for theother two she is up against here.

Keira Knightley - I'm taking a bit of a leap here. I wouldn't have given her this much thought, but Keira really seems to be developing into a fine actress and not just a celebrity. My vote is partly due to what I think she will accomplish.

Natalie Portman - Started off with some fine performances in Leon, a sadly truncated role in Heat, and a shining one in Beautiful Girls, then proceeded to deliver a string of performances which make wet cardboard look interesting. She's improved a bit lately, but it will take a lot to erase what she did in the interim.

Winona Ryder - As much potential as she seems to have (and I agree with Steve) she has never gotten where she appears to be able. Not an actress I seek out, though I wish I did.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Damn. Thought I might actually get a winner with Diane Keaton this time. But it's not looking good. :frowning:

Diane Keaton

Natalie Portman

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Kathleen Turner - stunning in both Crimes of Passion and Prizzi's Honor. Keaton comes in at a close second.

Natalie Portman - not particularly wild about any of these 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks