What's new

Best Buy -- Many Superbit DVDs now $9.99 (1 Viewer)

Craig W

Second Unit
I find it funny that the Superbit line is on sale, but it is almost like BB does not want you to know that they are on sale.

I went back to the Best Buy yesterday that had all of their Superbits marked in the $20-range with the exception of Das Boot $9.99 which I quickly grabbed.

I could not find a copy of the flyer with the sale mentioned so I asked a worker about it and he went to find the flyer and brought one out to me. I was ready for a battle with the checkout girl.

I also picked up Labyrinth, Cliffhanger and Vertical Limit. I had the flyer in hand and showed her the sale price and her reply was "no problem". To my surprise they all came out at $9.99 when she scanned them. Nothing needed to be adjusted.

Now my SB collection is complete, but do I go back for SWAT?
It's hard to resist at these prices.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Patrick: I like the way you think! That is a damn good idea!

I've been wanting to buy a Cirque de Soleil disc for a while now...but always thought them overpriced for a blind buy. I'll be checking that out this week. I've only got one Best Buy in my area. I hope its in stock.

GarySchrock

Second Unit
The Les Miserables one from the original list on the first page of this thread doesn't really exist, correct? As I recall it was supposed to be the Les Mis in concert thing, but never actually got released? (Which is a shame, because I did want it).

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
Picked up Lawrence of Arabia and Guns of Navarone at my local BB in Queens NY at $10 each. May go back for the Spider-man flicks at that price, or even Das Boot .

It was a rare double dip for me with LOA , since I had the 3 disc set, but at 10 bucks and all the talk I hear about the improved transfer, how I could I say no ?

Rodon

Second Unit
Black Hawk Down
Heavy Metal
The Fifth Element
All today

Soon:
Gattaca
The two Cirqs
Dark Crystal

Nathan-C

Grip
This is a great deal. I was able to get the Fifth element, Black hawk down, das boot, and once upon a time in mexico, all superbit and all for 9.99. Going back to get Spider man 2 and underworld. Every superbit they had at my sacramento store was and still is 9.99. Unfortunately they don't carry Straship troopers. and I tried a ton of stores online no store carries it and its the only superbit at bestbuy.com that is still 20.99. Also no Leon the professional online or in stores.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Labyrinth
Dark Crystal
Das Boot
5th Element
Desperado
Once Upon a Time
Zorro (I think I got Banderas fever somehow)
Black Hawk Down

Closer was still at 22.99 though I didn't really push the issue and see if they would honor the "All Superbit" deal. maybe later.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I picked up a whole mess of SB's last week:
Closer (tagged at 19.99, rang up 22.99, didn't even question the markdown, she just did it)
From Here to Eternity
Resident Evil
Hook
Vertical Limit
Cirque Du Soleil: Dralion
The Guns of Navarone
The Big Hit
Air Force One
Das Boot
Desperado
Spider-Man
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Lawrence of Arabia
Seven Years in Tibet
Johnny Mnemonic
The Patriot
Heavy Metal
Gattaca

Are there any other worthy SB's that I missed, or any that look so much better than the regular releases that I should make a point of acquiring?

Thanks

Matthew_Mel

Auditioning
If anyone can find it and wants to push the envelope, check out Cirque de Soleil: Solstrom superbit

Its the 5 disk series that retails for like $50 i think. Its a superbit and i tried to find it but no store in 50 miles carries it. so give it a shot.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
from bb.com

"Solstrom (5 Disc) - Widescreen Subtitle AC3 Dolby Dts - DVD

In Stock Usually ships in 1 business day
Store Availability Not Available"

GordonL

Supporting Actor
I was fortunate enough to find the ad and picked up Fifth Element UE, Leon: The Professional DE, and The Brown Bunny (blind buy). The IMDB review doesn't look too good for The Brown Bunny though.

Here is the official magazine

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Chris, I was wondering if you owned the standard versions of the DVDs you mentioned in your post?

If so, then that was almost a $200 double-dip or are you planning to sell your old versions to offset the cost?

I was just curious about the strategy of those who are investing heavily in SuperBit.

On a side note, I'm always amused that the HTF spellchecker wants to turn 'SuperBit' into 'SuperBad' (didn't know that was even a word).

Craig W

Second Unit

The only Superbit title that I have ever double dipped on was LOA due to the newly restored print. Other than that I have purposely avoided all of Columbia Tristar intial releases because high demand titles usually mean Superbit re-release.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
As a follow up question, are most SB buyers big DTS fans?

That is one feature that the SB line can clearly boast.

I'm on the sidelines with SB because I already own the titles, have a smaller screen, and don't have DTS.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Frank,
I only had a few:
Johnny Mnemonic: I got burned on a full screen from the walmart dump bin, I sold it to my sister.
Resident Evil: I read of improved PQ.
Desperado: I read is definitely better over the other release.
The Big Hit: this was an older release, so I am betting on improved PQ.
Spider-Man: Improved PQ and Tobey commentary.
The rest are first time purchases for me.
I am keeping the other doubles for the extras.
I don't have a great system and actually do a lot of viewing on a widescreen laptop where the better transfers do make a difference.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I sort of enjoy Mnemonic for the B movie it is.

I have noticed different transfer qualities between laptop and regular TV viewing. Not sure if it's just me or the increased resolution of a PC or what, but better transfers=better viewing!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks