What's new

Best Buy -- Many Superbit DVDs now $9.99 (1 Viewer)

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
I'm going pick up Adaptation, Closer, and Punch-Drunk Love because I loved those movies back when I rented them when they first came out, anyone have any other jems I might be missing because the rest seem pretty meh and I already have Lawerence of Arabia. I was thinking of picking up Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon as well I don't know though....

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Don't forget gang...in post #66, RobertJB posted that his store had a sign posted that the sale ends September 3.

If you are thinking about pulling the trigger on an SB title, I'd do it sooner rather than later.

Of course, I'm one to talk. I have yet to go to my local Bb and look for Dralion. My plan is to go tomorrow!

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
Yikes! I just pulled a job for a 100 bucks... I'm waiting to be paid... I hope I get paid soon so I can go splurg on Superbits :frowning:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I picked up Dralion last night. No worries...they had a few copies. Plus, I had a $5 RZ certificate! Yay! :emoji_thumbsup: Even better was then seeing the same title for $26.99 at the neighboring FYE! :D

Plus, I got the FREE Episode 1 of Rome disc that BB is handing out (thanks to TonyD!)

I was thinking about that expected Sept. 3 end to the SB sale. It seems odd that BB would have re-priced every SB in their stores to the $9.99 white sticker...only to have to re-tag them with the higher priced yellow sticker. But while it might seem like a waste of manpower to re-tag and re-re-tag all those discs, I cannot imagine bb selling SBs at $9.99 forever, while all other stores still have them in the $20+ range.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
When I was at the Best Buy in Sterling, VA yesterday, I noticed that most of the SB 9.99 white stickers had been scribbled out with a pen and 23.99 was written below.

C

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
I went out last night and tried to get Fifth Element(UE) and Leon:The Professional(DE). Here's the experience I had:

I walked in and went to Find Leon:Professional first. They had 1 copy...the DE copy. I looked around, but they had NO copies of anything BUT DE. I had my magazine and went to the counter(wasn't sure if I was going to get 5th, but Leon was a must).It rang up $19.99.....where I immediately showed her the magazine and then showed her the superbit logo on back of Leon. She of course had to call someone from media to come up.......when that lady came up, she showed her the ad, the DVD, but did NOT show her the Superbit logo on the back of LEON!!!(I asked the media lady if she had showed her the superbit logo as was on another DVD and she said no. This would have avoided what happened next, as the gal would have given the price right there and then). My cashier then went to the media area and was back there for a few minutes. After waiting. I walked back and saw her talking to the media manager. I showed the magazine and the huge headline "ALL SUPERBIT ON SALE". This was the same guy I had talked to last week, when I came in and bought Labyrinth, Spider-man, and Mask of Zorro. The store I went to was one of the many stores with NO signs, NO knowledge by the salepeople of the sale, and NO display either. I told him these were 9.99.......he said no, they weren't. I also said that there were NO other copies ANYWHERE IN THE STORE of Leon, so evidently they had replaced all the superbit copies with the DE, which was also superbit.

He then called the store manager, who then proceeded to argue with me for 5 minutes that this was different even though it was a superbit. Realize the Magazine ad says ALL superbit........but the manager first said that Leon was not a superbit, then that it was a different superbit and not on sale. Love that logic!:rolleyes:I mentioned how there were no copies of Leon except this one, meaning there was no other copy to get but the DE,and then grabbed the UE 5th to show that it wasn't an isolated instance......there were other movies that were superbit and deluxe editions as well. He didn't have an awful lot to say to that except that they weren't on sale even though they were superbit.:angry: I also had mentioned when he first came over how the store had no ads, no displys, and nobody who knew about the sale. He said he was unaware that the superbits were on sale. When he went to the Best Buy website, the first thing that popped up was a note about how most of the stores had NO displays or signs for the superbit sale! And to put up signs for it!! He finally just gave in, as I wasn't budging, but then he said how I'd the LAST person to get this deal and he was going to send a memo...blah...blah...blah. Good manager if he first tells there is no sale that he knew of. Has anyone else had this kind of horrid experience? The logic and ignorance of some higher-ups at BB is frightening.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
That's why I hate to even have to talk to the people at Best Buy. For expensive dvds, I wait for a sale at DDD or get it used on Amazon.com.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Even though I have the older release, I'm curious about Das Boot SB.

Is it on two discs or is it a flipper?

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
One of the requirements of working at Best Buy must be that the applicant must also currently be enrolled in a remedial reading program.

I made the mistake of doing an online pickup at my local BB. Das Boot Superbit was in stock (they had 4 copies of it), but the fumducks couldn't find it. They kept looking in the action section, then the drama section. They returned after 10 minutes of fruitless searching and told me they must not have it in stock. So I told them that I'd go look for it, went straight to the War/Western DVD section, and grabbed it in 30 seconds.

Unbe-freakin'-lievable.

I guess Burger King wasn't hiring when these people applied for jobs.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't know why anyone expects anything out of any retail store. It's not like the best and brightest of the nation want to apply for a job that pays $6.00 an hour and makes you deal with a bunch of complaints all day.

Yeah, people should have some pride in their work and all that but I avoid getting involved with any clerk (except checking out) because I know they don't care.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that's true. I know these are mostly high school or college kids, but still. You'd think the computer would tell them which section a particular DVD could be found in. I'm not saying they all need to be in film school, but a quick brush-up on inventory, including what's on sale and what isn't, isn't too much to ask, is it? (he asked rhetorically)

BrandonJF

Second Unit

The last 3 times I tried the "in-store pickup" option, I prompty received an e-mail stating that the item was not found at the store. All 3 times I ended up driving by the store anyway, stopped in, and found all 3 items. The only reason I was even trying to do it that way was so they would be forced to go in the back and look for it if they didn't get around to putting it on the shelves. Guess it's too much trouble to check the shelves, too....

Frank@N

Screenwriter

That's my policy as well.

I always end up explaining things to them (what is SB, what the boxes look like, about the sale, how many titles there are).

Everything is always a revelation to them, it's almost always a waste of my time.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
I'm still curious what the point of this sale was... Also did anyone notice any hidden super-bits? Because when I went to my best buy they had them all out front except for the expensive ones or the ones that people really wanted, I had to go to the shelves for Punch-Drunk Love, Adaptation, and Snatch Deluxe Superbit, then again perhaps it has to do with the packaging being different. Also for all those who still want Closer, CC is having a 2 for $20 sale...

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I went to 2 different BB's this week to grab 4 superbits. Yesterday, all the superbits in the store had the regular $21.99 price on them, but they still rang up as $9.99. I guess I'm just lucky. I got Larry of Arabia yesterday :)

Although my sister had a frightening stupid experience this week when she tried to get an iPod mini. And then she wonders why I do research before stepping into a BB or CC.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the Circuit City heads up wrt Closer. Picked that and Anchorman up for $20! Screw BB and their "Closer isn't $9.99...but all Superbits are!" ... [me] "But it says Superbit right there on the cover..." :D

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I had no problems getting Closer for 9.99 at BB...
I've thankfully never had many problems there....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks