1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Buy -- Many Superbit DVDs now $9.99

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Chad R, Aug 5, 2005.

1. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

I doubt law enforcement will do anything either. Best to complain to corporate and file complaints with your local BBB and the FTC.

2. Bill_Rockefeller

Well, after the prices went back to $9.99 today I ordered a few for in-store pickup at that same store.

Got there, went to customer service, asked for the store manager, and had the 'Customer Service Manager' paged (Vanessa) who called me a liar and accused me fraud .

The Store Manager (Cory) was quite nice and I started explaining what happened the other night. Vanessa arrived after I paged her, I handed her the invoice and made her go get the DVDs for me while I continuted to tell Cory what happened.

He's also the manager of the Magnolia Hi-Fi department, and a real home theater buff. He knew exactly why I wanted Superbit titles, and asked me what kind of home theater setup I had.

I told him I was right in the progress of putting together the new system, and that because of my experience with Vanessa, I was now purchasing all of my gear elsewhere. In fact, I'd just purchased a Denon AVR-4806 an hour earlier from the Good Guys for $3,000, and showed him the receipt. Then proceeded to detail the rest of the system I'm putting together, and they stand to lose a good $10,000 in sales.

All for not honoring a sale for a few DVDs which they really should have honored.

Needless to say, Vanessa was in the room the whole time while I was chatting it up with Cory, and she pretty much ran out in tears by the end.

I think what really got her is that they lost so much in sales not just to me, but now almost all of the Superbit titles are back to $9.99 on the site, and they'll lose literally thousands more.

So, a happy ending for all (except her). Please go hit up BestBuy.com and rape their entire stock of SuperBit titles. =)

Time to go plug in that Denon AVR-4806 and fire up the Superbit version of The Fifth Element. (I'm considering going to outboard amps so the AVR-4806 might go back too if there's a significant sound difference).

3. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    So let me get this straight, cause im slow and its late. The sale is over, but if i go through BB on the web, and do in store pick up, the sale is still on?

4. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Bill, my opinion -- You are one cold hearted sadistic petty SOB for making that poor clerk/manager cry.

You can be my buddy anyday.

When I was just finishing my last graduate degree 25 years ago, I received 2 bogus parking tickets which I basically refused to pay until I got a hearing before the Appeals and Review Board. During the hearing, the Administration VP and Faculty 'Judges' listened briefly, laughed at me, accused me of several various dishonest things totally unrelated to anything to do with the tickets, even made fun of my car and denied the claim. At that moment, being a shrinking violet I offered them a bribe (or threatened them with blackmail depending on your point of view) -- I'd either pay the $4 ticket and never send them a dime in Alumni Contributions or they could change their mind. Of course, on basic principle they denied my claim again.

Afterwards, I nicely paid the fine with 400 pennies in 8 wrappers I had sitting in a jar in the kitchen (of course they still had to open them and count every one since it was coming from a deceitful Grad Student).

I send them a letter every couple years reliving the drama along with a running total of Alumni Donations (reasonable numbers based on their own suggestions of what a grateful alum should consider) that they didn't receive and a running total of their Fine+Interest based on prevailing interest rates (I think it's up to $21 now). Once the total reached something with 4 zeros at the end, they tried to get me to reconsider though still never actually admitted being wrong on the tickets and never even came close to apologizing for the verbal abuse of their administrators. I consider it incredibly petty for someone my age to still hold a grudge though I still thoroughly enjoy typing every last letter.

5. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Damn.

6. Bill_Rockefeller

It was over. It appears to be back on now.

GO GET EM! =)

7. Steven Larson

Steven Larson Stunt Coordinator

I was just in my BestBuy today to pick up season one of Lost, and started seeing their little sale signs on the shelves for several Superbits at $9.99. (Plus I hadn't read this thread yet!) Not all of them were marked, so I picked up the weekly ad and the booklet that was mentioned before, and it said all Superbits were $9.99, so I grabbed Heavy Metal and Black Hawk Down (which weren't signed like the others were), and went to the register, prepared to have a discussion in case they didn't come up at $9.99. And guess what, they popped up at $9.99 in the register! No problems.

Which prompts the question, is the Superbit versions of Gattaca and Guns of Navarone significantly better than the non SB versions? I don't want to double dip if they aren't, but will if they are....

Steve

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

This has got to go down in the books as one of the most screwed-up promotions of all time.

A great promotion if you get in on the great discounts.....but poorly executed otherwise.

9. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

The beauty of this is, if I were Cory I'd think you were BSing me on how much the store would stand to lose. But pulling out the reciept from your wallet drove it all home and no doubt there was some reprimanding going on after you left.

I'm still disgusted at "Vanessa's" behavior towards you. I think pretty much everyone has, at some point, not been informed of something everyone should have known about (I used to work in a hotel and believe me, there were plenty of suprises. I had a guy show up and told me he was starting training that day and as supervisor, I didn't even know we hired someone). As soon as you pulled up the site on the cell phone she should have investigated the sale, giving you benefit of the doubt; pulling up the website on her own.

I'll stop now, I'm gettin' worked up. [​IMG]

-paul

10. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

The funny thing is that superbit DVDs don't look any better than regular anamorphic DVDs on my Mits 55-inch HDTV. Not much of a difference that I can see, but I am glad you all notice an improvement.

11. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    hmm, ok thanks.

12. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance

I Havent noticed much vid difference myself but, I MAINLY buy them cause they are mixed in DTS [​IMG]

I went there and saw the price I thought someone had goofed I jumped on a few titles at $9.99 but then I found this thread!

So is the SALE back ON???? [​IMG]

13. Alfonso_M

Alfonso_M Second Unit

After a couple of previous failed attempts last night I was able to find “Lawrence of Arabia” in my local store, the re-stock was tagged with the 9.99 price on the box.

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Supposedly the sale is back on until sometime in December.

15. Mark Nguyen

Mark Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

Just saw a local store here in Dallas remarking the price again. It went from 9.99 to 20.99 to 9.99! [​IMG]

Picked up a few...

Here's my question, is there something we don't know about? Why are they off-loading these so cheap? Are they preparing for something...maybe HD-DVD?? [​IMG]

Mark

16. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

David
    FYI -- Starship Troopers; Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; and The Quick and The Dead, all of which were previously regular price on BB.com and not available in most BB B&M locations, are now $9.99 online; Brown Bunny is also $9.99 online. [​IMG]

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I also ordered those hard-to-find titles (plus a Charlie's Angles 2-pack, which was also $9.99 for both DVDs) via online mail-order from BB.

18. John*D

John*D Second Unit

SONY is Blu-Ray, but offloading for the next format is possible.

I would assume they just had a large inventory of SUPERBITS and they wanted to get rid of them. Nobody else is discounting them, right?

19. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

David
    FYI -- Tommy is another Superbit title now finally available online for $9.99.

My order for the three titles in my last post shipped on 9/26. [​IMG]

P.S. -- Starship Troopers and The Quick and the Dead are now on 5-7 day backorder (not sold out, can still be purchased).

20. Wayne W

Wayne W Stunt Coordinator

New total of Superbits bought during this sale:
    Starship Troopers - just ordered
    Quick & the Dead - just ordered

Seven Years in Tibet
    Das Boot (Director's Cut)
    Gattaca
    Johnny Mnemonic (For my girlfriend)
    Black Hawk Down
    Vertical Limit

These should be the last two... [​IMG]