What's new

Best Bang For Buck: HSU VTF-2 vs SVS 20-39 PCi (1 Viewer)

JohnRbts

Auditioning
HSU VTF-2 delivered = $449 SVS 20-39 PCi delivered = $575
Is the 20-39 PCi $125 better than the VTF-2? All replies appreciated.

Thanks, RAB

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
There is no definitive answer to this. But a more like comparison would be the 25-31PCi and the HSU VTF-2.($449 vs. $499) There will be a nice review of the 25-31PCi published in a couple of weeks that will show objective performance data that will allow the consumer to compare it to a lot of other subwoofers including the VTF-2 and VTF 3. I would say the smaller your room, the more likely you should lean toward the Hsu.

TV

John A. Casler

Second Unit
The VTF-2 I had sounded more musical than the SVS in my friends system. We never had them in the same system so that is a tough call, "if" they were the same price.

At a lower price point, the only competition to the HSU is the VMPS original List $499 ($399 street)but it is unpowered and you would need a spare amp.

John Casler

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>At a lower price point, the only competition to the HSU is the VMPS original List $499 ($399 street)but it is unpowered and you would need a spare amp.
John Casler

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Hi Tom,
I have dealer pricing access to VMPS, Earthquake, Energy, Athena, M&K, JBL, SLS, JBL Synthesis, Pinnacle, JAMO, AudioSource Atlantic Technologies and a host of other very good SUBS.
But if you want any subs tested, you should talk to the above manufacturers.
I have not heard your 25-39 and did not know it could keep up with the VTF-2. But since TN has not tested it, I only wanted to suggest a sub I have heard and I haven't heard the 25-31. I have heard the 20-39.
:D
Best regards,
John Casler

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
I've never read a comparison between the VMPS and HSU or SVS subs. But, from what I've read you're on the right path to a good sub. I'm also debating between SVS and HSU right now and am leaning toward the VTF-3 simply because I don't have room for an SVS. From what I've read here and in other places they are nearly identical. Some seem to give a slight, and I mean SLIGHT musical edge to the HSU. That may influence your decision.

If I didn't have a wife I'd probably go with the SVS regardless of the space.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
"At a lower price point, the only competition to the HSU is the VMPS original List $499 ($399 street)but it is unpowered and you would need a spare amp. "

I'm wondering why the $329 SVS 25-31CS and the $379 SVS 20-39CS would not be considered competition. Similar products (unpowered, require a spare amp) but less expensive and possibly more output.

Henry_W

Stunt Coordinator
I auditioned both before choosing the 20-39PCi. Your question about $125 difference is interesting. Based on performance to manufacturer stated specs:

VTF-2 - I am not sure that there is a better priced cube performer in the world. Really solid and just nothing near the price point and performance in a cube (IMO).

SVS 20-39PCi - Well, IMO nothing comes dramatically close to this unit for the combination of extension and output in a powered tube.

The choice between two quality products is always difficult. I eventually convinced myself that I was really looking at a 20-39 vs. a VTF-3 and the unit won on price and the fact that I was able to audition an SVS. I can only say the SVS went noticably lower easier than the VTF-2, but output at higher freqs was hard to judge a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks