Best Bang For Buck: HSU VTF-2 vs SVS 20-39 PCi

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnRbts, Aug 12, 2002.

1. JohnRbts

JohnRbts Auditioning

HSU VTF-2 delivered = $449 SVS 20-39 PCi delivered = $575
    Is the 20-39 PCi $125 better than the VTF-2? All replies appreciated.

Thanks, RAB

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

There is no definitive answer to this. But a more like comparison would be the 25-31PCi and the HSU VTF-2.($449 vs. $499) There will be a nice review of the 25-31PCi published in a couple of weeks that will show objective performance data that will allow the consumer to compare it to a lot of other subwoofers including the VTF-2 and VTF 3. I would say the smaller your room, the more likely you should lean toward the Hsu.

TV

3. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

The VTF-2 I had sounded more musical than the SVS in my friends system. We never had them in the same system so that is a tough call, "if" they were the same price.

At a lower price point, the only competition to the HSU is the VMPS original List $499 ($399 street)but it is unpowered and you would need a spare amp.

John Casler

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>At a lower price point, the only competition to the HSU is the VMPS original List $499 ($399 street)but it is unpowered and you would need a spare amp.
    John Casler

5. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

Hi Tom,
    I have dealer pricing access to VMPS, Earthquake, Energy, Athena, M&K, JBL, SLS, JBL Synthesis, Pinnacle, JAMO, AudioSource Atlantic Technologies and a host of other very good SUBS.
    But if you want any subs tested, you should talk to the above manufacturers.
    I have not heard your 25-39 and did not know it could keep up with the VTF-2. But since TN has not tested it, I only wanted to suggest a sub I have heard and I haven't heard the 25-31. I have heard the 20-39.
    [​IMG]
    Best regards,
    John Casler

6. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    I've never read a comparison between the VMPS and HSU or SVS subs. But, from what I've read you're on the right path to a good sub. I'm also debating between SVS and HSU right now and am leaning toward the VTF-3 simply because I don't have room for an SVS. From what I've read here and in other places they are nearly identical. Some seem to give a slight, and I mean SLIGHT musical edge to the HSU. That may influence your decision.

If I didn't have a wife I'd probably go with the SVS regardless of the space.

7. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

"At a lower price point, the only competition to the HSU is the VMPS original List $499 ($399 street)but it is unpowered and you would need a spare amp. "

I'm wondering why the $329 SVS 25-31CS and the $379 SVS 20-39CS would not be considered competition. Similar products (unpowered, require a spare amp) but less expensive and possibly more output.

8. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

I auditioned both before choosing the 20-39PCi. Your question about $125 difference is interesting. Based on performance to manufacturer stated specs:

VTF-2 - I am not sure that there is a better priced cube performer in the world. Really solid and just nothing near the price point and performance in a cube (IMO).

SVS 20-39PCi - Well, IMO nothing comes dramatically close to this unit for the combination of extension and output in a powered tube.

The choice between two quality products is always difficult. I eventually convinced myself that I was really looking at a 20-39 vs. a VTF-3 and the unit won on price and the fact that I was able to audition an SVS. I can only say the SVS went noticably lower easier than the VTF-2, but output at higher freqs was hard to judge a difference.