Best Bang For The Buck? HSU VTF 2 vs SVS 20-39 PCi vs HSU VTF 3

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnRbts, May 31, 2002.

1. JohnRbts

JohnRbts Auditioning

My HT room is 14x20 with 14ft. vaulted ceiling. Which of these 3 subs offers the best value?

1. VTF 2=$499
    2. 20-39 PCi=$649
    3. VTF 3=$849

In other words, is the VTF 3 $350 better than the VTF 2 or is the 20-39 PCi $150 better than the VTF 2? Any replies would b greatly appreciated!

2. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

The SVS *25-31PCi* would be the best BFTB and probably more suited to your larger room. The VTF-3 info is still rather sketchy (no objective numbers or reviews from Nousaine or similar).

3. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

Has Nousaine come out with a review of the PCi subs yet?

4. Sean D

Sean D Stunt Coordinator

The VTF-3 would have no problems in a room that size. I believe Barry posted some numbers in his review .

5. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

John,
    Your prices are a bit off for the SVS as of today. The 20-39PCi is $549 during our summer sale.
    No one has directly compared any of these (with any sort of technically competent methodology) to my knowledge, but I'd expect the PCi and VTF-3 to be very comparable. The SVS has the edge on driver excursion and amp power, the Hsu has a bit more vent space (if both ports are unblocked). Both would be excellent performers in other words.
    If you can spend as much as $849 the best SVS choice would be the just-announced PC-Plus line. The 20-39PC-Plus will be $749 and the 16-46PC-Plus $799. With over 500 watts and the extreme performance of a TC Sounds driver you might find it a very good performer that's worth consideration. We won't start pre-orders till later in June though (as soon as we have hard delivery dates from our amp maker).
    I'm not sure any of these subs will allow you to hit full Dolby Digital reference levels at all frequencies (particularly if some/all of your speakers are set to "small") but I'd suspect you would be pleased with any of them. You have picked some excellent candidates and there really are no bad choices you could make. Just felt you might want the latest info on the SVS side.
    Ron

6. David King

David King Stunt Coordinator

7. John_VI

John_VI Second Unit

Yeah, this comes as a shock to me, too. I got one of the early 25-31PCi subs and paid $549, expecting the price to go up this summer or fall. Now I find I could have saved $50 by waiting a couple of months!

8. Fong

Fong Stunt Coordinator

i was wondering the same thing john. too bad there hasnt been a comparison between hsu and svs subs (on models with similar price and/or performance). maybe someone will save the day and will post one in the near future?

9. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Guys, the primary reason we can lower pricing is due to the sharp spike in sales for the group buy,immediately followed by the huge demand for the new PCi models.We have been purchasing most major components in much larger quantities for the past couple of months to try to keep up with demand...so our costs drops a bit across the board. At the time,saving a couple bucks here and a few bucks there didn't seem like a big deal. But now that we've finally caught up with all back orders and have caught our collective breath...we have updated our cost breakdowns and were very pleasently surprised to see a larger than expected savings for SVS in this regard. After much(not really) debate,we have decided to lower our pricing a bit across the board to reflect the savings we now enjoy by purchasing in greater quantity.

I understand how someone might feel after spending a little more on the same product a couple of months ago. That is the same way I felt after purchasing 3/4 of my HT gear...only to see the pricing drop soon afterward. In the constantly changing/improving Audio-Video industry this is much more the norm than the exception however. If you want a brand new model of ANYTHING in the industry...chances are the same thing will be discounted(sometimes heavily) within a year...or even a matter of months in the most competitive markets. This is just the nature of the beast.

TV

10. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

I think your accountant is going to have a heart attack any minute now. [​IMG] It is nice to see your savings being passed along to your customers rather than you holding onto more profits. [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Stunt Coordinator

Arrrrgh. I bought only two weeks ago. Still no buyers remorse though. This will surely sway anyone who has been on the fence. I predict they'll come out of the woodwork.

12. Warren_Sc

Warren_Sc Second Unit

I feel a little had, too. I was one of the people who pre-ordered specifically because you said the price might go up. To me, $50 is no small change.

Maybe you guys got good pricing on your components because the amount of pre-orders allowed you to foreast your volumes, thereby allowing you to order the larger quantities of parts without worrying about them sitting in inventory. I think you owe some of us some cables or something.

13. tommy_esq

tommy_esq Stunt Coordinator

"I think you owe some of us some cables or something."

Really, you need to get over yourself. You purchased what is widely considered to be one of the best bang for the buck subs when it first came out for what was considered to be a steal. Also, those who buy a product at its roll out always pay more than the second or third wave of purchasers. This is fundamental economics.

As the guys at SVS have enjoyed success, thanks in part to this forum, they have decided to LOWER prices rather than keep them steady or even raise them. And what thanks do they get? Gripes from people like you who now feel "had". Ridiculous.

I have read numerous posts from the guys at SVS for what could be called "customer service" and they always seem to bend over backwards for those who buy their products. It really makes me sick to read such a post. I would hope the greater lot of us would be thrilled to hear about lower prices rather than complain about it.

14. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Well I am really ticked! I called up DELL and told them I wanted some money back because I can get 5 times more for my money now than what I got just two 1/2 years ago.

15. David King

David King Stunt Coordinator

16. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I can buy a 93 Camry now for less than I paid back in 93! I think Toyota owes me some money. Give me a break guys lol. Just enjoy what you have.

17. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

"No one has directly compared any of these (with any sort of technically competent methodology) to my knowledge, but I'd expect the PCi and VTF-3 to be very comparable."

Well, if they haven't been directly compared, you really don't know. All we know are the opinions of the people who compared the VTF-3 to the CS 20-39's, which as I understand it had the same new drivers as the PCI's but not the new amp. Assuming there is any validity to the specific observations of those people regarding the comparison, I fail to see how we should expect those observations to change with the new amp. Since those people found the vtf-3 more accurate and tighter sounding, does a PCi sound more accurate than than a CS + new driver?

I'm not saying that the people who have compared them are right or wrong, just that it is probably too soon to tell, and that there is little basis to speculate about any comparison with the PCi. Personally, if I had the dilemma of the original poster, I'd wait a few weeks for the Ferstler review so that there is at least one professional review with some data out on the vtf-3.

BTW, the vtf-3 can be had for $750 if you call around. With a price delta at around $100-200, a deciding factor could reasonably be which you prefer esthetically, or a very slight sonic preference for one or the other.

18. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

A "summer sale" you say? Here's the real question: Will prices go back up after the summer?

19. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Ron and Tom;
    Wow! I knew that you guys were having a summer sale, but what really impresses me are thes prices for the SVS PC+ line:
    • 25-31PC+: $699
    • 20-39PC+: $749
    • 16-46PC+: $799
    It wasn't long ago that you guys were selling the regular PC line for about those prices. In fact, I think they may have costed even more money.
    Again... wow!