What's new

best bang for buck for bookshelf speakers (1 Viewer)

Phillip_K

Agent
I hit the back button since I am not allowed to post URLs and my entire message has been erased. In a rush, so here is what the advice I need is, in short:

Looking for suggestions on two bookshelf speakers, mounted 8 ft high, good bass for size, budget is around $150 for both, room size around 20 by 20, powered by Sony Stereo Receiver STR-DE197 which pushes 100 W per channel. Speakers only to be used to music, not to be used for movies.

Suggestions? Good deals?

Thanks, will be checking back tonight
>Phil

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
20 X 20 room with $150 bucks being the budget for both speakers....wow...good luck!

Even a decent pair of used Paradigm Atoms (which are highly rated for their size) will run you at least $150 for the pair. And they won't fill a 20 x 20 room all that well. Especially in the low end. No bookshelf speaker in that price range will have a great low end.

Evan H

Stunt Coordinator
Phillip,

I set up my Aunt and Uncle with a set of Atoms for their ~12x30 living room as part of a 5.1 setup (4 atoms, CC-170, PDR-8)... the Atoms retail around $200 i believe for the pair and in my opinion are the best bang for the buck you can get in that price range. They are also wall mountable. Would you be able to work out an audition in your room to see if they meet your expectations?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Paradigm Atoms... Infinity Primus 150 I'd put a close second... according to stereophile magazine...

Also check out Athena ASB1's

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with NickSo......either the Atoms or the Infinity Primus 150's would be the 2 best choices in that price range. I have heard both of them and I prefer the Paradigms but not by much. The Infinites are front ported if that makes any difference.

Phillip_K

Agent
I havent actually bought the Sony stereo receiver yet and now I'm thinking maybe to just ditch the idea of the seperate components and just buy a all-in-one home theater system. I'm looking for one with either 4 or 5 satellite speakers, the subwoofer, and then a 5 disc changer (or more but most I believe come with a 5 disc changer). It also must have an FM/AM tuner. I wont be hooking it up to a tv, as it will be strictly for music, but it will probably maximize the money I have to spend here.

My wife originally only wanted two speakers total because she cant stand alot of clutter, thats where I was going with that, but I sweet-talked her out of it. So now with my $500 budget I'm looking to do what I just mentioned, buy an "all in one" home theater system. And if I want to "upgrade" in the next few years with a TV, I even have the option.

So switching gears, what are solid buys either on the internet or at Best Buy or Circuit City with the money I have and for my purposes? Or would you advise against what I'm thinking of doing?

Thanks

Evan H

Stunt Coordinator
If you're looking to use it exclusively for music, I'd recommend sticking with the 2 speakers and getting an HT receiver to allow for a future upgrade. The quality of the speakers you can get is far greater this way. Is your source music CD's only, or will you be looking into DVD-Audio? If only CD's then the material isn't designed for a 5.1 environment, and you may not like the sound when coming from the surround channels. Speaking from personal experience, I disable all but the main channels when listening to music because the sound just doesn't sound natural when the surround fields are enabled.

TeresaLM

Auditioning
If you decide to get the Sony, I think the Infinity Primus 150's or the Athena B-2's or B-1's would be a good choice. You can get a pair of thease speakers for 150 or less. If you go with the whole Home Theater in a Box deal, check out the Infinity 770 - on sale at Circuit City for around 399-425 (depending on the day you shop. This is a great all in one set (w/6.1 sound) for the price. It has a nice AV receiver so if you later decide to upgrade your system, you can without having to buy a new receiver.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
For bang for the buck 2ch music system, i'd suggest:

- Panasonic XR-series digital recievers
- Paradigm Atom/Infinity Primus 150/Athena ASB1
- Toshiba SD3950/3960 (especially if you're handy with a soldering iron, and mod it).

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Since the budget was increased slightly, how about the Paradigm Titans? These retail for $229 a pair. However, your dealer should knock a percentage off that price.

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
If your primary concern is 2 channel music then you really don't want one of those small HTIB things. By all means get a pair of decent bookshelves (atoms, primus, etc.) and save up for a decent sub. You will be wasting your money if you buy a HTIB for music only....and IMO you will be wasting your money buying one of those for movies in a large room.

Phillip_K

Agent
Wow guys, thanks for all the advice. What a forum! I think there is enough convincing evidence to stick with 2 BS speakers as opposed to a HTIB.

So the Paradigm Titans, I've researched them and they've gotten rave reviews. If I hadnt come to this forum I would have never known they existed, or even the company Paradigm existed. Anyplace on the internet that sells them for a good price? Thanks

Phil

Mike Gov

Stunt Coordinator
I'll throw in the JBL Northridge E30's. IMHO, sound just as good as the Paradigm Titans, but can be had brand new for less than $150.

Phillip_K

Agent
Yes the all things I'm reading about the E30's seems to be good. I would have to drive 25 miles if I want the Paradigms, which I may or may not do depending on the price.

I am going to check Best Buy and Circuit City to see if they might have the E30's or Infinities and if they might be on sale.

The truth is I do not have a wife, I was trying to sound like I was the houseowner but here is the truth. I am 18 and the houseowner's son. My dad who is paying for all this and putting it in our beach house objects to bookshelf speakers because they are "too big" possibly to hang up-my mom has influenced his thinking too-but I am trying to get into his thick head that he will be a lot better off with BS speakers then with some small BOSE speakers, sound-wise and money-wise. The room is around 20 by 15, and the speakers will be hung up about 8 ft by a hole in them with a nail in the wall. I dont see how they are "too big". And to add to this my dad isnt the type who will buy immediatedly with a big investment, he likes to stall off as long as he can. So if I find him a good price on a pair it will help my cause. I am going to be living there in the summer time as well and the better the sound, the more hardcore I can party when my parents arent there. I want to maximize the money he has for the sound he can buy. I am the one doing the research and going around looking for the best deals. Its not the first time. I'm on winter break too, nothing better for me to do anyways.

All in all the story is very complicated but you get the picture.

Phil

ConorJ

Grip
You can find the JBL E50s for ~$250 for a pair and a decent reciever for ~250 and have a nice 2 channel system w/ the ability to upgrade to 5.1 later. I think its best to start w/ two good speakers rather than a mediocre 5.1 sytem but there are some OK HTIB systems in the $500 price range.

James Phung

Second Unit
Compusa has the Primus 150 on clearance for $120/pair. The 150s have mounting brackets already so that they can be easily mounted on a wall with a screw.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks