What's new

best bang for buck for bookshelf speakers (1 Viewer)

Phillip_K

Agent
But I do need a separate receiver and a separate CD player, right? I didnt think they integraged the amp (or "receiver") into the CD player.

If what I just said is the case from what people have told me, then the CD player I get wont matter much so long as its the same brand as the receiver so I can control the two from one remote (for my convenience) and it plays what I want it to play (CD-RW's and CD-R's). With this in mind, I'm figuring to get the CD player from ebay used because it will cut costs down. It'll save alot from brand new.

Eric C D

Second Unit
Many receivers come with a universal remote, which can be programmed to control players from different mfrs - maybe that will help.

If he's at all like most of the older guys around here (such as myself), you should be able to enlist your dad's help in speaker selection. Just present him with information about *why* you want to make specific recommendations. It might also be a good bonding experience. :)

IMO, do whatever you need to to avoid the small Bo*e satellites. If you do some research into the various discussions, you'll find that they have a frequency gap between the satellite and the bass module. If he hesitates, send him here and turn us loose on him - that should do the trick.

But re mini satellites vs. bookshelfs: in general you'll get more dynamics (differences twixt quiet and loud passages) from the bookshelf speakers than you will from satellites. And the speakers also sound less "congested."

Have fun, and I'm jealous of being able to live at the beach house for the summer. That time has passed me by - not to return until retirement. :)

enjoy,

Evan H

Stunt Coordinator
Phillip,

I'd also suggest referencing the two threads that I generated last month regarding the system I put together for my aunt and uncle as their christmas/channukah gift. I encountered many of the same problems that you are talking about here both in deciding what to purchase for them, and also in my aunt's serious WAF on the speakers purchased after they were presented. It might help you out a little. Also, I like Eric's suggestion. I remember when I was buying my first system in college, it was fun going with my dad to check everything out and decide on the system together.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have been a happy owner of Paradigm speakers for nearly 7 years. They are definitely fall in the category of the best bang for the buck. But as always remember: only your ears can tell you what is the best sounding speaker to you.

Good luck in your search. Also be warned that Home Theater can become addictive. Don't fight it, just enjoy it.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
If you end up being "forced" to get a Bose-like system, also check out the Cambridge Soundworks stuff (they sell direct to consumer) or the Hsu Ventriloquist. Both of those are less expensive and better sounding than the Bose.

Brian_Fly

Stunt Coordinator
ONKYO HT-S770- Here's another option for a HTIB solution. I've heard many good things about it. Can be had for ~$400. A search here and on other HT forums should turn up some info.

Phillip_K

Agent
Haha Eric, its not like its all fun during the summer. My parents make sure my butt is working, not just chasing women.

Home theater is indeed addictive Marty, as there are so many options. If you have too much time on your hands it will solve that problem quickly.

As I said before, we arent in too much a rush to get the system going. Or at least I'm not. I personally dont mind when we get it, so long as its before the summertime. I'll keep you guys updated if I force my dad to buy anything.

Nick Bum

Stunt Coordinator
If your looking for party equipment these tiny bookshelves wont come close to filling that room. You would need more like pro sound equipment. I would recomend trying to find some Klipsch speakers for their over all sound will be much better for partying and also you might be able to find like an old K horn that would be awsome.

Im willing to bet that your dad will suport your decesion after you take him to listen to some speakers. And I dont know why people have girlfriend and wife problems with speakers Im still trying to figure this out. My mom loves my speakers and my girl loves them too....

Phillip_K

Agent
Nick

I think two bookshelf speakers should do the trick. I'm planning on having 5 or 6 people at a time over, no more than that- I dont want to ruin the place too bad. My parents usually have over no more than a family of 4 at one time. The "main" room the music will be played is around 15 by 15, theres a little "side room" attached to it that is 8 by 12 (about) that was an addition to the house but I'm not concerned, I realized about filling this room anyway, since this is our movie room. Later on I might decide to a subwoofer with my own money. My dad wont be able to say much because I bought it for his house without his funds.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Phillip_K

Agent
Ok heres a new idea:

Buy an Onkyo HTIB system-has the receiver and 5 or 6 speakers, depending which I choose. Lets say we choose the HTS-570.

Devote+mount 2 of the included satellite speakers in the living room like my dad wants. Or possibly two satellites and the center speaker. Remember how I said the 8x12 room was our TV room? We set up the rest of the speakers and the subwoofer in the tv room! since the receiver can control two separate sets of speakers. (The TV room is adjacent with the living room by the way, location-wise it would work nicely.) I learned that the receiver can do this from a circuit city employee today, and it was news to me. The only thing I have to add is the cd changer and badabing, we are set.

Would this work? If it would it would be a phenomenal idea for my situation.

Geez, it would be so ridiculous if it would work!

Phillip_K

Agent
Ignoring what model I choose, what I proposed would theoretically work, right? The receiver would be able to do what I am thinking with anything blowing up? That is what my main concern is.

If I do end up going with the HTS-570 I'm going to go with the HT-S8230 at radioshack since I've read it is the exact same thing, but $20 less. I think it will do the trick to meet our needs to fill the room.

Phillip_K

Agent
Has everyone given up because of my stupidity or something? Please refer to page 1 on the nitty gritty.

I'm planning on going to get my dad to buy the HTS-570 (AKA HT-S8230) this weekend while we are at the house. Is this going to be a really bad idea? I could care less what the living room is going to sound like, my dad wants two satellites anyway and I cant change his mind, my only purpose is to fill the room and not take into account bass or anything technical. Plus we will upgrade the tv room a bit, which my mom doesnt mind because it will be a lot less harder to notice the speakers (and thus why she doesnt care).

We will be leaving in two hours from now, and I will not have access to a computer thereafter until after we buy it, so any comments please proceed.

Phillip_K

Agent
Yea Frank bookshelfs arent going to work because of their lack of aesthetic qualities, thats why I am asking will the Onkyo be in OK shape doing what I am asking it to do, and will it sound half-decent in both rooms the way I want to arrange it.

Phillip_K

Agent
We bought the Onk HTS-570 and some 16 ga speaker cable. Even used just for music it sounds excellent, doesnt sound "unnatural" at all as some people might put it. Fills the room nicely. The next morning my mom decides the gray color the system comes in doesnt suit her tastes. So we box it up, take it back to radioshack. She wants wants any speaker we buy to be in black.

So now I am back to the drawing board to try to decide what to get. Some random numbered thoughts:

1) Find a HTS-570 system in BLACK, although I havent come across one. This would be my first choice. The higher-end Onk (1000 W system), although black, I know wouldnt work for my mom, because the speakers included are "too big to hang on the wall"-or something like that. I am going to take her to BB today to check it out, I'm 95% positive she wont like the size of those oversized speakers. She's fine with a subwoofer though.

2) Find a system as good as the HTS-570 with just as small satellite speakers (maybe a little bigger) in the $300-$400 price range with an included amp. Again, must be black.

3) A new idea my mom wouldnt mind: find two floorstanding speakers with a thickness no larger than 10-12"-length of speaker box with speakers facing out. I've seen some speakers by "theater research" and "digital research" on ebay for sale with 2 6.5" woofer cones each speaker and a subwoofer on the side of each speaker. One particular auction says the speakers are powered by their own amplifier. Now I dont know if it is possible to hook a CD changer to the speakers or not, this is one my concerns. That, and if they sound good or not. Many of the sellers claim the speakers sell for $2500 a pair; I dont see how they would be able to sell them for $180/pair.

Any input at all helps.

Mike^S

Stunt Coordinator
Be careful of some of those Ebay auctions. Some of them are "white van" speakers, which basically means they're crap.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Yeah deffinately watch out with those E-Bay speakers most of them are crap. If it's not a well known brand or a company that has a web page. Chances are you don't want to own them. I'm not exactly sure what your family is looking for but I will deffinately recommend either the Paradigm Atoms or Titans. No offense to any of the other members, but I think to your ears these speakers will sound great in that room. They are very small. Also check out Paradigms Cinema line they are even cheaper and smaller! I know some of the Yamaha HTIB are decent from what I have heard. Deffinately stay away from the Bose. They are suckie suckie, although they are where I started.

Phillip_K

Agent
The best idea to accomadate all of our needs would be a HTIB system because my dad likes "all those speakers". However, my mom wants "black speakers" and doesnt want the included satellites to be "big speakers". The center channel to her is not defined to her as a "big speaker", however, so that wont matter.

Like I said, the Onk 570 would have been great had it not been the color. Any HTIB system that would fit my needs that compare to its sound quality or isnt far from it? My best bet I'm thinking is to just go to CC or BB and pick up a panasonic or sony that comes in black, or yamaha-if its not over $450 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks