What's new

Best 5.1 Speakers for 1500 (1 Viewer)

TroyM

Auditioning
I currently need to redo my entire speaker setup and am trying to find the best bang for the buck performance wise.

I will be powering them with my onkyo SR702.

I really wanted to build an all adire setup but its just out of my pricerange running me roughly 2.4k with speakers kits.

I dont have any tools anymore to build my own cabinets.

Prefab cabinets like the ones at partsexpress are fine as long as they are finished and cheap.

I need suggestions. Room is 15x20 roughly TV to couch being the shortest distance.

Jacob C

Second Unit
What about just buying pre-made speakers? I know Ascend Acoustics could set you up with very nice speakers for that. I would probably go with the 340 center and 170s for front and surround. That gives you more $$ for the sub.

TroyM

Auditioning
I am 100% fine with premade stuff and would actually prefer it so i dont have to DIY it myself. I just need to make sure I get good quality beacuse they always have to make a profit and sometimes its huge just based on name.

Jacob C

Second Unit
I would go on Ascend Acoustics forum and see if you can get a demo from a owner in your area. IMO nothing comes close to the Ascend 170 at its price point.

Tom.K

Agent
Troy I'm also looking for a 5.1 system in the same price area. I was very impressed with Aperion Speakers until I checked into Ascend speakers. They really look like the best bang for the buck. I have constructed my own speakers and know what goes into making them. They use Audax speakers(which are highly regarded) but probably with their own specifications and matching. The crossovers look like quality parts. I just can't decide if I should get the 340s or if I'd be happy with the 170s. So many decisions. Good luck.

Tom Kelley

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Troy,

Talk to AlexDW, the original poster for this thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=243781

He just got his Ascends in and I think he's also running them off an Onkyo 702. Sounds very happy so far.

Yeah, I think that Ascend is very hard to beat for price-performance ratio. They are definitely the best reviewed speaker I have ever come across.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I would buy some great speakers and do without a sub until more funds come in. In the long run you will be happier. If you are into home theater you cannot do better than the Onix Rocket 200 some call it big foot. No more jumping on the remote volume up and down between dialog and the action sceens. I have had a center that I paid over twice as much that was not as good. Go to http://www.av123.com/products_catego...eakers&brand=3
And select the last package. You will get your 3 fronts and a super set of dipole surrounds and in real wood veneers not plastic or vinyl and will love them. Get the sub later. Don't make the mistake I did and had to keep upgrading. Took me longer and I spent way too much money over the last 10 years when I could have had a great set up in about 3-4 years instead. Good Luck
Mike

Jacob C

Second Unit
The rockets are supposed to be great but that puts you well over budget after getting a sub. Man those things look great though. I have heard the bigfoot is better than the ascend 340c but I think the 340 is exceptional in its own right. I personally think HT just isn't right without a sub. If you are willing to build it up over time rockets are certainly worth a listen.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
My impression of the Rockets is that you pay for a veru pretty cabinet but with so-so sound performance for the money. Now mind you that's just an "impression" since I have not personally auditioned the Rockets myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks