What's new

Best 4:3 (1 Viewer)

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
NOT QUITE READY FOR HDTV asks... "I am about to upgrade my 4:3 set to at least achieve S-video or Component connections...and I have to keep it under a $600 price range. Which 4:3 in that price range provides the best for the buck? I have heard of 4:3s with stretch modes to emulate the improved picture quality achieved with 16X9... is this feature available in that price range? Which brand is the best?

Clint B

Second Unit
Hi, Anthony. While there will probably be some people that disagree with me, I have had pretty good luck with the Sony WEGA model KV 27-FS13 (it is a 27" model). It has the "anamorphic squeeze" mode, which is great for widescreen DVD's! I got mine at Best Buy for about $570 plus tax. If you get one, though, make sure you have someone to help you move the thing--it weighs about 100 pounds! Also, while I've had no problems with the TV, I think in this instance, getting the extended warranty is a good idea.

If you're not a Sony fan, I've heard that some other manufacturers (Zenith and Panasonic, I think) offer 4:3 TV's with "the squeeze," but I have never seen them and I have no idea how much they cost.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
My vote goes for the Samsung Dynaflat 27" TXL2791F. Once calibrated it looks identical to the Sony, has a better warranty, and is cheaper. It also does 16x9 mode at a touch of a button on the remote or in the menu. The geometry on my set was perfect unlike many of the 27" Wegas. :emoji_thumbsup: For the Samsung

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Another vote for the Samsung/Akai 27" set. Sam's Club carries it for $369; hundreds less than the Wega.

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
Masood, am I to assume that the Akai and the Samsung are basically the same model? I verified the price you quoted on the Sam's Club site... but no mention of Samsung is made....

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
The Akai is identical to the Samsung. Akais is made by Samsung as is Curtis Mathis. If I were looking for a 27 instead of a 32", I would go for the Sam's deal in a heartbeat. Alas, I am going 32 and figure to get the TSL3294hf instead of a slightly less expensive, no where near featured Sony, Tosh or Panny!

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
The be honest Mikey....I would prefer the 32 inch. After doing some research however, it doesnt look economically feasiable. Why is there suck a drastic price between the 27 and 32 inch? Are there any non-HD 32s with the 16X9 feature?

MoG

Stunt Coordinator
The Pansonic CT-32XF56 can still be found, but it is $1300. It's a 32" EDTV (480p) direct-view set that does 16x9 properly.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
The Sony kv32fs13 does the 16x9, But I really don't like the lower end WEGA and for $300 more, it is WELL worth it to me to have the HDTV capability for the future and the Progresseive Scan 480P for now. Much more Aestheticaly pleasing looking set on the outside as well.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
The Samsung TXL3276 is a good set, and it has a 16x9 squeeze mode, component inputs, etc. It sells at Sears for $529.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Look at the JVC D-Series. They are not perfectly flat, but they have excellent picture quality. You should be able to get a 32" D-Series (JVC AV-32D302 or JVC AV-32D502) for $600 if you shop around a little. Their picture quality is just as good as a Wega, but for hundreds less.
Other notable reccommendations: Panisonic Tau.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks