1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Best $1000 receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jed, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Jed

Jed Extra

I need to replace my Denon AVR3300 (sold house and buyer wanted that in the deal) and was wondering what the current state of affairs is around this price point.

I really liked the Denon. My only gripe was the cooling fan - it would make noise once and a while. It had plenty of power. Remote was only OK...kind of clumsy.

I am thinking I will stay with the newer Denon models, but would appreciate any other suggestions. I have to buy new speakers, too. All my Boston Acoustics went with the house, too (3 100x and 2 VRS Pros).

Thanks!

2. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Denon 3803 seems to be one of the best recievers right now under $1000. And as you said if you like denon stay with them.

Other suggestions that you might check are,
    ONKYO SR800
    MARANTZ SR7300
    H/K AVR7200 (996 at onecall.com, sale end 8/31)
    NAD 752

But most important will be your personal preference and likings, go and audition as much as you can.

Also what are you new room dimensions? what will be this setup used (music/movies)?

3. Jed

Jed Extra

Room size is unknown as we have not located a new home as of yet. I would think a typical family room - say 15x18. Tile floors with, most likely, an open back wall (bummer).

80% movie, 20% music. I always used the '5 channel' DSP setting with my 3300.

Multi-room is also important.

4. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I think Denon works very good in movies, and for $1000 is one of the best recievers out there. Also the HK AVR7200 is very tempting. If you can go and audition both.

Also be sure to add a good sub, specially for movies, I have an SVS 25-31PCi and it has being the best upgrade I have made to my setup. Consider SVS and HSU research as goo options for the money.

Good luck with your setup,
    Pablo

5. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

If you liked your old Denon at all,you should love the 3803.I have never heard a fan so I don't know if it even has one and the remote is quite good.You should check it out and compare its features/sound to others.