What's new

Can I use towers as rear/surround and bookshelf as R and L?? (1 Viewer)

Dynz

Auditioning
Real Name
Zach
So I know the answer is simply yes, it is possible and if you plug them in they’ll work.

But, am I just wasting decent speakers capabilities(Decent in my estimation at least) by using the towers in the rear? The room is multi-purpose and not dedicated HT, so the best flow for the room means towers in the rear. TV will go to right of door in picture, bookshelf wall mounted speakers will go near right and left corners of wall. Center speaker will be placed as close to center as possible.

Setup is 5.1 at the moment, considering adding atmos speakers in future.

Towers: Vintage Definitive Technology BP2000tl (some nostalgia/sentimental value, they were my grandfathers)

Bookshelf: Definitive Tech ProMonitor 1000’s

Center: Definitive Tech ProCenter 1000

Sub: Definitive Tech SC4000

Receiver: Sony STR-DN1080 C531AC5B-0D97-4B46-88BC-9B081F16D09F.jpeg 25A87AE3-9F8B-411E-90C0-DD74B32F75E9.jpeg FC0844AC-98C7-4113-981F-2BDA97222386.jpeg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As you said, the simple answer is yes. Though I'd think you'll likely be giving up some dynamics and "fullness" in the front. Set your front speakers to "Small" in the AVR's settings.

Looking at that pic, though, I'm not really understanding why this is necessary? It appears you have enough room on each side for those tall/slim towers in the front. One in the right corner, and one in the corner to the left of the door.

Dynz

Auditioning
Real Name
Zach
As you said, the simple answer is yes. Though I'd think you'll likely be giving up some dynamics and "fullness" in the front. Set your front speakers to "Small" in the AVR's settings.

Looking at that pic, though, I'm not really understanding why this is necessary? It appears you have enough room on each side for those tall/slim towers in the front. One in the right corner, and one in the corner to the left of the door.

Yeah, I could put them there, which was my original plan, the bottom of the TV would be 1/2 inch from the top of the tower(the ceiling is lower in that corner because of a duct). Also it would mean putting the TV higher, which isn't ideal. But that might be the way to go, and really this entire set up is not ideal, but working with what I have:emoji_thumbsup:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Could you put the TV on an adjustable mount that would allow you to move it around? Pulled down lower when you're watching, then pushed up out of the way when you're not?

aard

Agent
Real Name
Aaron
Have you tried both configurations to see which is to your liking. I also have full height rear speakers and I find that they usually dont get driven very hard so in some ways they are a bit wasteful. But then I go full on party mode with music and its great. Also your older speakers may not have the right timbre for fronts so may be better utilised as rears. Just a few random thoughts.

Dynz

Auditioning
Real Name
Zach
Have you tried both configurations to see which is to your liking. I also have full height rear speakers and I find that they usually dont get driven very hard so in some ways they are a bit wasteful. But then I go full on party mode with music and its great. Also your older speakers may not have the right timbre for fronts so may be better utilised as rears. Just a few random thoughts.

I guess I haven't tried them in both configurations, at this point I ended up putting them in front and will mount the TV just above the right one. I'm still deciding on TV for this room, looking at Sony AH8 55', going to see if any Black Friday deals emerge. I'm still getting it wired so it looks half way decent and I just added a couple in-ceiling speakers for Atmos.(5.1.2)

As far as timbre on the old speakers, no idea what that means:blink:.. but if you have a good article or link that explains it, feel free to share.

Dynz

Auditioning
Real Name
Zach
Ok.. Looked up timbre, seems like a simple enough concept. Will consider on my next HT set up/upgrade. Although I'm happy with what I currently have:emoji_thumbsup:.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks