What's new

New Home, New Theater (1 Viewer)

Cleverusername78

Auditioning
Real Name
Barry Koppen
Hi all,

i recently purchased a new home and it came with a dedicated home theater room. I have a tendency to always want the biggest and best. I understand that is not always the best thing to do when building a home theater. I attached a diagram of the room. It is not a huge room. I am looking for some help on a couple things Subwoofer, receiver and possibly adding speakers.

What I have
(2) Polk floor speakers
(1) Polk Center speaker
(2) Pold surround speakers.
I am happy with these speakers.

I am looking at the Denon AVR-X4400H. It has 9.2 I am wondering if I need that many speakers given my room size. Also I do not understand Dolby Atmos and DTS-X. Do I need top firing speakers for those platforms? Can I put all nine speakers in that room? Am I overpowering the room?

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrx4400h

Subwoofer
I am planning on building a subwoofer box with the ultimax 18. With an 8 cu foot vented box. That will sit behind my theater seats. I will also use a rack amp 1000 watt at 4 ohm. Not sure which brand or anything yet. I am sure this will give me some great bass and vibration but I am also worried I may be overdoing it.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...WRs5KjrfF0dH2GlkMjJSPA9PmJr6yY1MaAioFEALw_wcB

I plan on getting the Epson 5040ub with a 125" 2.35:1

I want to have a blow your mind home theater experience!!!

Any help would be appreciated!!!

upload_2018-10-22_15-40-58.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-22_15-39-31.png
    upload_2018-10-22_15-39-31.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 67

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi there!

A 9.2 AVR will allow you to run 7.2.2 or 5.2.4 Atmos configurations, in addition to 9.2 surround sound. To use Atmos, you want ceiling speakers (preferably), or top-firing speakers. If you are content with 5.1 surround, and have no interest in going to Atmos in whatever your typical upgrade schedule is, buy whatever receiver provides the power and features you want and don't worry about the amount of speaker outputs it has anymore than you worry about extraneous component or vinyl inputs it might have.

I'm a bit confused by the layout. It looks wide and shallow, with a big alcove entry way near the rear of the room. Is that right? Or maybe the sketch isn't proportionally right?

Cleverusername78

Auditioning
Real Name
Barry Koppen
You are correct on the layout. The sketch is a little off it is probably more of a square. Right now I am planning on getting a Denon 9.2 and putting 7.2.2 with ceiling speakers. I do want to have Atmos. Do you think I should do 2 or four ceiling mount atmos speakers? On the subs, I am debating having 1 or 2 I bought 1 just wondering if I can squeeze all that in the room with enough room for seating. Do you think it is a must to have 2 subs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks