What's new

Benefits of using an equalizer? (1 Viewer)

MikeJason

Agent
I want to purchase a new receiver and was looking at an equalizer. For setting up a home theatre, is there much benefit to hooking it up to an equalizer?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've not seen too much info advocating EQ'ing mains or surrounds but definitely the subwoofer. Usually people seem to advocate finding speakers that match your preferences rather than EQing them to that point. Just my casual observations.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The digital connection issue didn't even occur to me! Thanks Wayne.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
EQ of the bass definitely pays dividends, and is the best bang for your HT $$$$$, IMHO.

My current EQ is a AudioControl Bijou, which has 1/6 octave control of the sub from 22 to 80 Hz, and 1/3 octave from 80hz to 800hz for the front three (the rears have frequency centers that are geared toward the Pro Logic days where the backs were only playing from 100hz to 7K, IIRC. As such, I leave them flat).

Note that this is a THX certified device. I find that having control up to 800 hz in front helps match the voicing of the front 3; even identical loudspeakers will tend to sound differently when they are in different locations.

I think Rane also makes an EQ with a similar range.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks