Being happy with a 30" HDTV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by James_Barcus, Oct 7, 2005.

1. James_Barcus

James_Barcus Agent

Guys the company I work for is purchasing some Toshiba HDTV 30" TV's.. They are "tube" I guess you would call them, unless another name. I currently have a 32" RCA 4:3 standard TV... Will I be happy with a 30" 16:9?? I haven't seen these tv's in person yet.. Just wondered of there will be a huge size difference.

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    It all depends on the type of material you watch. Both screen sizes are measured diagonally, with the 4:3 nearly square and the 16:9 very rectangular - so a 32" 4:3 set is going to have a much taller screen image than a 16:9 30". If you watch mostly 4:3 television you'll be looking at a smaller screen. For instance, my 56" widescreen TV has a 4:3 viewing area of about 47" diagonal.

OTOH the 16:9 30" is going to represent more square inches of screen real estate for widescreen images than they'd get letterboxed on the 4:3 32". So if you get an HD televison signal and you mostly watch HD shows (along with widescreen DVDs) you'll get a bigger image with the material you watch most with the 30" set.

Regards,

Joe

3. James_Barcus

James_Barcus Agent

That's cool.. I have a ton of Widescreen DVD's and High Def is free from Charter for me cause I have all the channels they offer in HD... I think I will really look into getting one.. 30" is fine for me.. I don't need anything huge just for the living room. In the future yes I'll get something bigger but for now.. I just want something 16:9 for a good price and since I get things at cost from work.. It's not a bad choice.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

DVD upscaled to HD will look worlds superior than at 480i.