What's new

Being happy with a 30" HDTV (1 Viewer)

James_Barcus

Agent
Guys the company I work for is purchasing some Toshiba HDTV 30" TV's.. They are "tube" I guess you would call them, unless another name. I currently have a 32" RCA 4:3 standard TV... Will I be happy with a 30" 16:9?? I haven't seen these tv's in person yet.. Just wondered of there will be a huge size difference.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
It all depends on the type of material you watch. Both screen sizes are measured diagonally, with the 4:3 nearly square and the 16:9 very rectangular - so a 32" 4:3 set is going to have a much taller screen image than a 16:9 30". If you watch mostly 4:3 television you'll be looking at a smaller screen. For instance, my 56" widescreen TV has a 4:3 viewing area of about 47" diagonal.

OTOH the 16:9 30" is going to represent more square inches of screen real estate for widescreen images than they'd get letterboxed on the 4:3 32". So if you get an HD televison signal and you mostly watch HD shows (along with widescreen DVDs) you'll get a bigger image with the material you watch most with the 30" set.

Regards,

Joe

James_Barcus

Agent
That's cool.. I have a ton of Widescreen DVD's and High Def is free from Charter for me cause I have all the channels they offer in HD... I think I will really look into getting one.. 30" is fine for me.. I don't need anything huge just for the living room. In the future yes I'll get something bigger but for now.. I just want something 16:9 for a good price and since I get things at cost from work.. It's not a bad choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks