What's new

Beavis & Butthead + Music Videos? (1 Viewer)

ChadKo

Stunt Coordinator
Im probably asking for way too much with wanting season sets of Beavis & Butthead (which would sell through the ROOF!) with all of the music videos. I have the Time Life ones which are fun. Back when it was on, I used to hate the videos- now looking back they were the best parts!
Who's with me?

Chad

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
It won't ever happen. Getting the music rights for the videos (especially when most of the bands didn't like what B&B had to say) would be impossible.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Yep, what they said.

Beavis and Butt-head have a better chance getting laid than their episodes have of being released with the videos intact.

John McM

Second Unit
I am sure some bands could license their videos, I am sure Rob Zombie would since he animated a sequence in the movie, it shouldn't be too difficult to get other bands who B&B thought "ruled", but I highly doubt we'd see Winger and other "suck" bands giving their thumbs up, lol

John McM

Second Unit
does anyone think Shout!Factory could work wonders with B&B on DVD? If they successfully cleared rights for Freaks And Geeks, and if Universal cleared rights for Miami Vice, is Beavis And Butt-Head THAT dificult?

Nathan Phillips

Stunt Coordinator
Normally I wouldn't think so since we're only talking about 3-5 songs in a half-hour (right?), but since the music was actually being mocked directly, this raises the same issue as the Sandy Frank movies and such on MST3K.

Personally, I loved everything on the show but without the videos, it wouldn't be half as valuable to me. So I guess if I want a full set I'll be doing a lot of taping/trading/etc.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I read that Mike Judge bought bootleg episodes with the music on them from someone on ebay.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Sounds more like he might be collecting "evidence". Whoever sold those boots to him (if it's true) should be afraid and is a fool for leaving himself wide open to a lawsuit/prosecution.

I don't see why Judge would need to buy boots. I would've thought he could either get copies from MTV themselves, or just tape them off-air as they aired. Sounds a bit suspicious (if true, which admittedly, seems unlikely).

Wonder if he'd have sold a set if the buyer's name was Jack Valenti?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
"I AM THE GREAT CORNHOLIO! I NEED THESE DVD'S FOR MY BUNG-HOLE! ARE YOU THREATENING ME?!?"

:D

John McM

Second Unit

actually Mike Judge was cool about the situation from what I read. IIRC, he seemed to have no problem that fans would have to resort to boots to get the episodes the way they remember it, because it's not like any company would actually sell the episodes with entact videos.

If people were selling counterfeit King Of The Hill DVD's, he'd probably be singing a different tune, but I think Judge knows like the rest of us that we're never going to officially get Beavis And Butt-Head the way it was meant to be seen, so he didn't seem all that upset over the concept. The music videos MADE the show, the videoless releases aren't all that funny IMO, because them scrutinizing and/or rocking out to videos was even more fun than their escapades

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I always thought that the videos slowed the show down. Not that there wasn't some redeeming qualities to them since B+B did have some really funny quips for a few of the videos. The worst part of the videos stuff was that they always recycled the SAME animation over and over. As bad as the animation was for the regular segments, at least it wasn't the same animation for every story. :)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Wouldn't the producers of Beavis and Butthead have to negotiate for the right to mock a video in the first place? I know that I'm over simplifying the situation but if the people who own the rights to Winger videos was willing to let them use their material in the first place then why would they be against making a few more bucks by allowing the series to be released intact? At least 90% of the videos mocked by Beavis and Butthead are so far past their prime that they would be lucky to be shown on MTV2 a time or two per year.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sadly, when whoever owns the rights to Winger songs (for example) heard that someone wanted it for a DVD, they would suddenly deicde that Winger was a band of classic stature and demand thousands and thousands of dollars for the use of their classic songs.:)

That's a gross oversimplification but the point is still valid.

John McM

Second Unit
did you know Kip Winger actually blamed the bands downturn in popularity on Beavis And Butt-Head?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
All the hair bands died around the same time. I think that was more it than B&B. As for Winger, just look at how ridiculous Kip looked at the time! In an entire genre that was hard to take seriously, he took the cake. It's hard to believe how different he looks now, though. And, it's a real shame about his wife. I didn't know about her death until just now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks