What's new

Beavis & Butthead History dvd Cancelled?!?.... (1 Viewer)

Jared M

Stunt Coordinator
woohoo mine shipped from amazon last nite. too bad it's coming from back east since i live in california. but hey i'm getting it so i can't complain.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Watched a bit of both discs a few days ago. As far as I know there are no songs on the discs. Just 32 episodes without the videos.

The second disc had the thanksgiving thing with Kurt Loder (heh heh heh Loader), some MTV commercial clips.

I would guess that the copyright problems might have come from the menus which use B&B face over paintings and landmarks (Washington crossing the delaware, Abe Lincoln statue, Mt Rushmore, etc)

I dunno. After half an hour it got a bit boring. Only part of the first 3 years I think. Some of my faves aren't even on there.

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
It's unfortunate the videos are missing. Someo of the things they did during the videos were quite classic.

I actually found a CD to listen to (even though they thought it sucked) that was quite good. Some times I never saw the videos outside of B&B.

Chuck West

Stunt Coordinator
Time Life now lists their 3 disc set "In Stock". My order status has been changed from "Backordered" to "Processing". It looks like it's going to ship soon! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jodee

Screenwriter
I just got a shipping notice from Amazon.ca!

This after countless emails to them asking if this title would hold up the rest of my order since it was removed from the site. The last Customer service email I got from them said to "check for other retailers on the Internet who may have the title."

Then they ship it? Of course, I'm not complaining if i got a copy, it's just weird the way it was handled.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I havn't been following this thread latley, but has it been confirmed that it was cancelled? I was really looking forward to it. Should have pre-ordered it when I had the chance and maby my order might have been honored :).

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Are either of the Clark Cobb episodes on either the Paramount or Time-Life sets? That guy cracks me up.
"Hi, young students!"
. . .
"'Is it an excuse to let it all hang out?' Heh heh. No, Socko! If a student is allowed to express himself through art, he won't express himself on the streets or with a whole lot of backtalk!"
:laugh:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
My Time-Life set will come today! :D
Uh-huh-huh-huh-huh...he said "come".
And, yes, the Paramount set was DEFINATELY cancelled. Whether the cancellation is temporary or permanent remains to be seen. I expect it will be resolicated at a future date with the unlicensed material removed, whatever it actually was.
The popular rumor is that it was a series of pictures of classic American monuments and pictures with B&B's faces superimposed over the historical pictures in the menu sequences. Stuff like Washington crossing the Delaware, Mount Rushmore, etc. Anyways, one or more of these apparently crossed the line from legally-protected satire and/or parody into the realm of copyright and/or trademark infringement. And it was discovered at JUST the last minute, and the situation couldn't be settled quickly enough, so the product was yanked.
If that rumor is true, I expect that the next move on Paramount's part is to negotiate for the license needed to re-ship the sets as they are. If that can't be negotiated successfully, then they will have to decide whether it it profitable to reauthor the discs without the item in question on it (should be simple if it is indeed just a menu background), reprint, repackage, and reship. I think it's questionable at this time whether it could make it out in time for the holidays, though. Replication facilities ought to be VERY advance-booked-up by now.
In all honesty, I've been trying to chase down a copy of the Paramount set, to no avail. I'm frankly jealous of those of you who managed to snag a copy. My wife is even more jealous...she's a GIANT fan of B&B!! :eek:

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I expect that the next move on Paramount's part is to negotiate for the license needed to re-ship the sets as they are. If that can't be negotiated successfully, then they will have to decide whether it it profitable to reauthor the discs without the item in question on it (should be simple if it is indeed just a menu background), reprint, repackage, and reship.
I'd expect that they'd reissue this DVD in some form. Even if it's slightly edited, I couldn't see spending $150 to get the unedited version.

Randy Torres

Stunt Coordinator
Somebody on this forum made a deal with me to sell a copy. I sent them the money via paypal the next day. That evening I check and the money has been sent back to me and this person tells me he decided to sell on ebay to make more money (the auction went up after he recieved my payment) Some people have no class. Oh well.....

Tom Foley

Stunt Coordinator
Just received my Time-Life set! Overnight shipping is a glorious thing!

Don't have a DVD player on my office PC. BLAST!

Actually, those who have received the TL set, please provide some reviews here. I want to watch it, but if it is just VHS quality and the episodes are censored, then I'm willing to return it and wait and see what happens on the Paramount front.

As far as Paramount is concerned, I doubt they will be able to license the use of the copyrighted material and be able to ship the already-manufactured DVDs. If they could do that, I think they would have put up the extra money in the first place to avoid the ensuing fiasco. The misuse had to have been something really egregious for them to not be able to negotiate and then have to pull the title.

I think now is the time for Paramount to go back to the drawing board and recognize the things they learned from this.

1.) B&B has a HUGE following.
2.) We want ALL the episodes, and if they haven't figured out the profit potential of providing complete episode-by-episode releases in the TV-on-DVD market, then they're really in the wrong business.
3.) Every episode should be uncensored. Really, we've gotten over the "fire" thing.
4.) The videos should be kept in. This would be the hardest thing, but really, it's just not the same without them. Realize the money they would make by being able to announce that they are providing every episode, UNCUT. There are only five major record companies and six major publishers, which handle probably 90% of all the videos/songs used. I'm sure in most cases they won't even need to get permission from the artist/writer. The hardest one to get will probably be "Over The Hills And Far Away" ("Wait, dude, it gets better!"). What a shame it would be if Paramount decided to stay cheap on this point and not front the cost of the licensing fees because they don't think there is enough demand to warrant the cost. Hey, ask Time-Life how they're doing. Or some enterprising Ebay sellers!

Sorry for the rant, I just figured that now we need to shift to nudging Paramount to take the time and do it right the next time. And I do this in all sensitivity to Ron's post about respecting the studios. Hell, they didn't even have to try to put this out. But, there are important people in business affairs and finance who are making the important decisions here, and they need to recognize the effect of those decisions.

Keith Helms

Stunt Coordinator
Finished watching The History of Beavis and Butthead last night. The collection is pretty lame. 32 episodes, running about 3 hours, on 2 discs. Don't know why they felt the need to use 2 discs, except to run up the price.

I don't know who selected the episodes, but these seem to be mainly early episodes and do not comprise a "history" of the show. They somehow managed to omit all my personal favorites. There are no Cornholio episodes and only one Anderson episode.

I'm hoping the Time-Life "Best Of" collection will be much better. It should be waiting on my porch when I get home. What's up with their shipping anyway? Six bucks for UPS ground and 2-day and overnight are both free alternatives. Why would anyone chose anything other than overnight?

Gerard Priori

Stunt Coordinator
I'm hoping the Time-Life set will be better, too. All the fuss and the Paramount collection, I agree, is disappointing. A history of B & B-H and yet there's no "Frog Baseball." How did that happen? With the best episodes of the series not included and a collection that could have fit on one disc, it's too bad this whole cancellation issue is making the set seem a more attractive find than it really is.

-Jerry

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Wasn't 'Frog Baseball' a short from a Spike & Mike's festival? Thats where I saw it first. Maybe its on one of their two dvds.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My Best Of... set should be delivered today. I really hope they deliver it to the correct address as the houses here are really close and jumbled up - so to the point that my house appears to be on another street from what it really is. I'll be okay as long as they don't deliver it to my next door neighbor. He's a real bunghole and would likely keep the package just to spite me.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Got my 3 TL discs today, and I only ordered these on Monday.

Here are the episode listings:

Disc 1 - Innocence Lost/Chick n' Stuff
Held Back
Safe Driving
Figure Drawing
Stewart Moves Away
A Very Special Episode
Nosebleed
Dumbasses Anonymous
Vaya Con Cornholio
Fiday Night
Naked Colony
1-900-Beavis
Party
Top O' The Mountain
Plastic Surgin'
Pregnant Pause
Dream On
Vidiots - bonus Ep.

Disc 2 - Butt-O-Ween/B&B Do Christmas
Bungolio: Lord of the Harvest
The Pipe of Doom
Killing Time
Leave It To Beavis
Ding-Dong-Ditch
Late Night With Butt-Head
Candy Sale
Huh Huh Humbug
Letters To Santa Butt-Head 1
Seasons Greetings 1
It's A Miserable Life
Seasons Greetings 2
Letters To Santa Butt-Head 2

Disc 3 - Troubled Youth/Feel Our Pain
Citizen's Arrest
Substitute
No Service
Impotence
Speech Therapy
Work Is Death
Die Fly, Die
Tainted Meat
Animation Sucks
Bad Dog
Tired
Bus Trip
Patsies
Choke
Blood Pressure
Lightning Strikes

woo! JUST got them and haven't had time to watch them.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My discs arrived late this afternoon (so glad they were delivered to my house instead of my neighbor's). I've watched Troubled Youth and Feel Our Pain so far. Basically what you have here are rehashes of the original VHS releases from '94. I still have the original tapes of There Goes The Neighborhood, Work Sucks and The Final Judgement as well as the DVD release of The Final Judgement.
The audio on Troubled Youth is a bit funny as the dialogue is clear, but the sound effects and episode-opening music on a few episodes is very echo-sounding...almost as if they were done twice in a row.
I can't complain though, as there are quite a few good episodes in the set, and some I had never seen until now. :emoji_thumbsup:

Clint B

Second Unit
Reading that episode list, it seems to me that the original appearance of "The Great Cornholio," which I believe was in an episode of the same name, is not included. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks