What's new

Beavis & Butthead History dvd Cancelled?!?.... (1 Viewer)

Craig_T

Second Unit
Paramount should use this opportunity to just scrap the lame "history" release and release ALL OF THE EPISODES. The demand is obviously there! If you just want a "best of" type release, the Time-Life set is a better deal anyway and also has better episodes. If Paramount can release the entire ST: TNG run in one year, then they can certainly release all of these episodes that average what...5 or 7 minutes each?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Reading that episode list, it seems to me that the original appearance of "The Great Cornholio," which I believe was in an episode of the same name, is not included.
The reason that episode isn't in the Time/Life set: Clinton posted above to reiterate what I said at the start about these releases: "Basically what you have here are rehashes of the original VHS releases from '94."
Specifically, six of the VHS releases from the 90's were simply transfered onto DVD without much in the way of remastering (video/audio quality is basically average, from the 1-ep-per-disc I've seen so far).
"The Great Cornholio" was on the VHS release called The Final Judgement (Mike Judge's judgement...get it? :) ) which is already on DVD separately from Sony Music. This title is still technically in-print and theoretically available "all over". I got a copy of it less than a month ago, and the quality is about the same (perhaps a little better, but not much) than these Time/Life releases.
But I just went and checked on availability of TFJ right now, and none of the big e-tailers seem to have it! Even Half.com is out-of-stock! :eek: My guess was that there was a run on this from folks who thought like I did: get the old releases before the new ones hit, since they don't duplicate material.
I expect that this title is not actually being printed anymore, despite it's "In Print" status. Or if it is being printed, it's in very small runs. I know that the separate Christmas DVD release from Sony is not being printed anymore, which is how that material got duplicated on the Time/Life set. Perhap's Sony's license to both are now expired, and the status of TFJ has just never been updated due to oversight or something. That makes sense to me. However, the Christmas version has been unavailable for quite some time, and fetches around $30-40 on eBay!
Incidentally, Butt-O-Ween WAS gonna be released on DVD back in 97-98, but got cancelled before it hit market. Just a piece of trivia there! :)
But, to sum up, "Great Cornholio" was on the VHS called "The Final Judgement", which wasn't one of the six VHS volumes transferred to DVD on this Time/Life set. The six volumes represented on these three discs are Innocence Lost, Chicks N' Stuff, Troubled Youth, Feel Our Pain, Butt-O-Ween, and Do Christmas.
Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed
Incidentally, about the T-shirts they wear: NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT HERE! No changes to them. You might worry off the bat, but don't: on the main menus for all three discs in the Time/Life set, graphics of B&B show them with altered T-Shirts. Instead of AC/DC and Metallica, the shirts say "Skull" and "Death Rock", IIRC. Dont' worry about it. When the episodes play, the T-shirts are the familiar AC/DC and Metallica ones we all love. ;)

Keith Helms

Stunt Coordinator
Actually it does span the whole show. It has episodes from season 1 to season 7.
Maybe it's not all early episodes, but the set gives me a strong feeling of "leftovers" and not history. They seem to have selected only shows that weren't chosen for the VHS tape collections, which were generally the best episodes. I have 9 of the tape collections and, while I haven't done a cross reference to the DVD, I don't remember any of these episodes being on the tapes.

Bob Partovi

Stunt Coordinator
Working at an "unamed" retailer I actually had this in my hands at one point. We had it on the shelves for a week or two and actually sold 1 of them. D-OH!

Anthony Liz

Stunt Coordinator
herno (10/08/02)
DO NOT PAY THE OUTRAGEOUS PRICES PEOPLE ARE CHARGING FOR THIS ON HALF OR EBAY!! This DVD set is NOT WORTH $300! I contacted Paramount today and talked to a consumer service representative and he informed me that the DVD's that were recalled will be shipped back to the stores within the next few weeks, apparently the "legal issues" have been straightened out. Do you honestly think they would destroy over 500,000 DVD's? If you don't believe me, just visit their website and just call the number listed.
This was posted at half.com. I already have a copy, but I can't believe people are paying that much for this. Well, I can, but I always get a kick when they pay $500 and then a few weeks/months later the DVD is released for $20.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Well, believe it or not, several weeks ago the bidding price on EBAY for one of History of B&B DVD ended at $610.
Well, I just hope that the info about what the person named herno posted at Half.com is true. If the info is true then good.
I totally agree with what Tom Foley said. Paramount should release B&B in season-by-season format with all music videos included, uncut episodes & extras features (if this happens then I would purchase a copy). A boxed set with all B&B episodes would also be great. Beavis & Butthead is my favorite TV show & I want them on DVD in the way that the episodes were originally aired.
BTW: The B&B DVD petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/BNBDVD/petition.html is now up to to 3917 signatures.
Paramount,
there is a market for all of the B&B episodes on DVD.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
The History of Beavis & Butthead is not yet being released back to the stores. From http://www.tvshowsondvd.com :
"History" DVD news... 10/23/2002
Well, we called and asked, and we have an update from Paramount about "The History of Beavis and Butthead": In spite of new rumors around the internet that this is going to be "shipped back to the stores within the next few weeks", Paramount informs us that this title has not returned to the schedule at this time. They are working to get the issues about this resolved, but have nothing firm for us yet. We here at TVShowsOnDVD are exercising our patience, and staying FAR away from the outrageous prices at the auction sites!

Patrick D

Stunt Coordinator
I just received the Time Life B&B discs, and I'm so disappointed with them. My original VHS copies of these actually look -better- than the DVDs. I'm not sure what Time Life did, but it appears they dubbed the episodes straight off the VHS (using a bad VHS deck) with a composite cable and then applied some edge enhancement to "fix" the blurriness and color bleeding.

The echoes in the sound effects were also on the VHS tapes so I believe that's in the source. It's prominent on some episodes.

I'm not sure what to do with these discs. If I had any other way of watching these epsiodes, I would send them back to Time Life. I'm not a picture quality nazi, but these are literally that bad... worse than VHS, on two of the three I have opened.

Is this the way everyone else's discs look also?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I didn't think these looked that bad. I wasn't expecting much to begin with. FYI, I viewed these on a Mits HDTV from my RP91.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The episodes in the Best Of... sets looks fine with my Toshiba 5109 playing to a TW40x81.

On a related note to the thread topic, my best friend who lives in Garland, TX called me yesterday and asked if I had picked up the History set. I told no, it was recalled and he told me that several chain stores in the area had received shipments and were selling them. He's supposed to pick up a copy for me and send it USPS P1.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
So, whats up with these DVD's! Are we getting whole season sets or what, or should I just plunk down the $$$ and get the Best Of Set?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Right now this entire thing seems to be up in the air. No word in quite some time. Also, while Paramount's press materials still mention their old release of the film Beavis & Butthead Do America, all other references to B&B have been removed from their listings. :frowning:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
is the vhs set of this also recalled/not available.

my video store has 2 of these in the back and i wonder if i should buy them.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Um, perhaps you should buy them in that case. They are no longer shown in the press materials, either. I'd guess they were subject to the same recall. I don't know for sure, though...take it with a grain of salt.

Anyone know for sure?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I had heard that the DVDs were recalled because of some copyrighted images that were used in the DVD menus. Apparently they hadn't gotten clearance to use them.

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
they keep showing commercials for it, i just saw one today. i think it was even an "order now" commercial with an 800 number and everything...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks