What's new

Beavis & Butthead History dvd Cancelled?!?.... (1 Viewer)

James Reader

Screenwriter
Well, looks like Amazon's taken the release out of their catalogue - my order history links been disabled and searching the site brings up no results.
So, looks like all non-US residents will be unable to get their fix of Beavis and Butthead this year :frowning:
I would think that the non-release of the Paramount set is down to legal issues. Knowing how far in advance discs are pressed I would think that it is unlikely the delay/cancellation has anything to do with the Time-Life releases - after all unless the official announcment from Parmount has been substantially delayed, there is no way a release like this can be stopped at this late a point in the production calandar.
Suggesting that Paramount want's to wait until after the Time-Life releases so they can (potentially) generate higher sales sounds wrong to me. After all, if the discs have been replicated etc, Paramount will have to pay for the warehousing space!

Jared M

Stunt Coordinator
i e-mailed amazon.com and they told me that they had history of beavis and butt-head on hand. i don't know if it's true but i guess i'll find out on the 24th.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Amazon may have them on-hand, but apparently will not for long. It seems a "recall" was issued. We're still trying to find out why, though.

Craig_T

Second Unit
I'm starting to get worried that the Time-Life set is also in trouble. A search for the set on their site comes up as "The requested product is no longer available." Plus it's late Tuesday afternoon and my copy still hasn't shipped. I hope I'm just being paranoid. Everything I want always seems to get delayed or cancelled. :frowning:

Chuck West

Stunt Coordinator
I'm starting to get worried that the Time-Life set is also in trouble. A search for the set on their site comes up as "The requested product is no longer available." Plus it's late Tuesday afternoon and my copy still hasn't shipped.
My order status says "Backordered". I wonder what's going on?

Craig_T

Second Unit
Nevermind, I just realized that I was trying to do a title search in the catalog number window. :laugh:
Nothing to see here...

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Not knowing it may have been cancelled I went to Best Buy, Media Play and Circuit City and couldnt find it.I had all 3 look it up and they said it wasnt anywhere to be found on their schedule.
Just another reason why...........
I HATE PARAMOUNT:angry: :angry: :angry:
My least favorite studio.I hope its becuase they decided to release these the right way-by season

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The History of Beavis and Butthead was scheduled for September 24th, 2002 not September 17th, 2002.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I just contacted Time/Life. The B&B 3-pack from them is NOT cancelled. It should be shipping from the producer over to TL's warehouse today (I guess there was a mixup with the date posted on the site), and it ought to ship out shortly to customers. Just as soon as they get 'em.
They have a couple thousand backorders already and the list is growing. They are aware of Paramount's set being cancelled and the person I spoke to is unaware of any problem with theirs...they are sure that's the reason for the increase in interest. Heh, I'm sure HTF and TVShowsOnDVD had a bit to do with it too, but I didn't say that. :D
I was told that my order is among the earliest and that mine should be shipped in the very first wave of shipments. I also have been marked for overnight shipping, so I will have these in-hand the day after TL does.
Calm down; all seems well on this side.
On the Paramount side, I don't think Gord's gotten any additional info yet (at least it's not posted on the site, so I assume not). And I'm as in the dark as all of you guys. But, in my humble opinion, I think it's wishful thinking that these have been pulled in order to move forward with season sets instead. I think y'all are fooling yourselves harshly, in fact. I hope it's true, but experience and evidence suggests otherwise.
IMHO, the Paramount discs will turn out to be delayed a bit at best, and totally cancelled is more likely. Reasons I can only guess at, but experience suggests licensing issues. Perhaps with the supplements, in which case it will be a delay while discs are repressed.
The funky thing is that there are PROBABLY copies of this floating around out there, that missed the recall. And they will probably show up on eBay someday! :eek:
Just guessing, though. Honestly.

Tom Foley

Stunt Coordinator
Not bad for a release that many DVD buyers do not even know exists.
Not for long. I saw Time-Life advertising their B&B set on Comedy Central tonight, and made strong mention that it was on DVD. Paramount should really be kicking itself in the ass over this one. Really it's just shoddy - no public response as to why one of their top titles was cancelled about ten days before street date?

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
You guys are bashing Paramount Home Entertainment who is just the distributor in all this.

MTV Home Entertainment now does the DVD production work for their properties.

So if the title is delayed, then MTV Home Entertainment probably delayed it. Not Paramount Home Entertainment who just sticks their logos and layout designs on the artwork.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
rutger, you are entirely correct about MTV being the source of the material and the DVD, and that Paramount is the distributer.

However, AS the distributer, Paramount should know what the reasons are for the delay or cancellation, and if they are prevented by MTV in saying so themselves, then they can certainly push MTV to speak up and reveal the reasons.

After all, Paramount's logos are on the boxes, so it will be them who consumers turn to first with these questions.

Sorry to be so frank, but any way you look at it the answers should come from Paramount or MTV, who are both arms of the same conglomerate so it really matters little.

Tom Foley

Stunt Coordinator
well, here's an update from the thread on this over at DVDTalk:
1.) Paramount/MTV set: rumor has it that ONE song was not cleared and they therefore had to recall all copies. Hate to say it, but it sounds plausible; lawyers for big entertainment companies do the dumbest things to avoid litigation and then ask questions later. However, one site is selling them (for near retail) and apparently has started to ship them.
2.) Time-Life: people who have called to say that the DVD that was supposed to have shipped yesterday is still listed as backordered are now being told it could be anywhere from September 30 to four to six weeks until the set is shipped. Apparently they did not anticipate the demand. Well, when your normal business is selling 80s love songs compilations, I can see how they weren't ready for this one.:rolleyes:
Bottom line: Uuuuhhh, huh-huh, this sucks. :angry: This could take months to sort out.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
until the set is shipped. Apparently they did not anticipate the demand.
Based on my conversation with Time-Life, I will make some *guesses* as to the source of these fulfillment guidelines:
1) The quantity of orders placed now exceeds the quantity of the original run (the "first printing") of this set at the plant.
2) Folks who placed their order before the limit was reached will probably get their set around Sept. 30th.
3) Folks who placed their order after that limit was reached, or place orders now, probably have to wait 4-6 weeks for the second printing to occur and be fulfilled.
4) Sorry! Snooze=Lose, and all that rot. On the other hand, it will probably be in your hands in time for Christmas if you act right away.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks