What's new

"Beat the Geeks" - finally a game show for me! (1 Viewer)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I have bceome very enamoured with the new Comedy Central game show called "Beat the Geeks". It is a real fun and interesting show that caters to the geek in all of us. If you have not seen it, it pits three contestants against four geeks, each of whom have their own speciality. Indeed, they are only known as "T.V. Geek" or "Movie Geek" and "Music Geek". The fourth geek is a guest geek and has specializations ranging from comics to horror to Star Trek.

This show has some great attitude and laughs and I hope it takes off. Check it out on Comedy Central!

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
I watched an episode yesterday and I must admit it's growing on me. It was funny to see that the Star Trek geek was none other than Jeremy, featured in Trekkies. Do you think the movie geek recognized him? :D
I was wrong; keep this and drop Let's Bowl and The Chris Wylde Show please!

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Rob, they did cancel Chris Wylde a few weeks ago, and it's now relegated to, I think, the 2 am slot Monday mornings.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Yeah I like this show to. Last night I wish somebody would have challenged the Horror Movie geek because his questions were so easy. I think I could have schooled him. I have also heard that there is going to be a slasher geek in Jan. I'll have to keep watching. They seriously need to cancel let's bowl and bring back the Chris Wilde Show. Peace

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
I watched the preview episode a couple of weeks ago and noticed something...I knew more than the geeks. I don't know if that's good or bad.:confused:

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Just for your info, here is a link to the shows web site:
http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_shows/beatthegeeks/
I think it would be cool to have the "Movie" geek on the HTF and put him to the test. He does seem to have some pretty impressive knowledge about movie trivia. I am certain that some here could beat him in certain areas, but, like I said, he is impressive. Anyone know what his name is? I was too lazy to check the very website that I just posted a link to
Man...that IS lazy!

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
I caught an episode a couple days ago by accident and enjoyed it a lot. Seems like a fun show that has some staying power.

As far as the rest of comedy centrals lineup - I'm glad they got rid of that Chris Wylde show, when I cant get to sleep I'm not really picky about what I watch, but I couldnt even bear to watch the Chris Wylde show. It was just horrible, IMO.

Did 'Insomniac' get renewed? That show is great. And whats up with Tv Funhouse? I assume it got canned since they've been running the same couple of episodes forever.

JQ

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I am in the minority here. I watched the first 3, with much anticipation, and I can't recall seeing such a cringe-inducingly embarassing show in a long time. Whoevers idea it was to have the geeks torment the players with cheeseball 3rd grade threats should be fired. The show would be no worse off if they cut that part out. And the hostess chick doesn't always have nice things to say about the players either. Between that and the fact that they actually require the losing player to leave the stage as part of the show really makes it mean-spirited, and again, I must be in the minority that I find that so distasteful.

Anyway, that said, I like the geeks, and wish they were involved more in the show. Everything seems way too scripted. It would almost be a better show if those three guys just sat around and discussed TV, movies and music. Whew, disliking this show so much is making me tired. And I only rant like this because I really tried to like it and am sad that it isn't all I'd hoped.

And there is way too much clapping and stuff from the audience. Okay, thats it. Thanks for listening.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
movie geek:

Marc Edward Heuck watches about 75 movies a year. He considers himself a "film snot" and a film historian because he is so particular about the technical aspects of a movie. Even after working in a theater for 10 years, he's still not sick of the popcorn! Since childhood, Heuck had a long-time desire to be involved in the movie business. In the fourth grade, he was assigned to write a letter to the person of his choice. His letter, like any normal 10 year old, was to write to Paramount Studios to pitch them an idea for a movie. His idea got rejected but he still has the rejection letter and has wanted to be in the business ever since.

Heuck is such a movie geek that he has been a projectionist since 1991, written nine movie scripts since college and aspires to eventually become a great director of a great film. Heuck has collected over 100 posters from his favorite movies, most of which remain in his mom's basement in Ohio. His favorite movies include, "The Apartment," "Local Hero," "Goodfellas" and "Suspiria." (There isn't a movie he won't watch and that goes for chick flicks too). His favorite actors are John Cusack and Helena Bonham Carter. His favorite directors are Martin Scorcese, D'ario Argento, Robert Altman, Billy Wilder and Michael Ritchie. Born in Cincinnati, Ohio, Heuck currently lives in Los Angeles.
75 movies a year? Lightweight!

-V

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I overheard the show (did not watch) last night.
He claimed that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle comics were unlike the movie in that they were not supposed to be funny. He was very condescending in his delivery.
Well, he was wrong. The comics were a parody of Frank Miller's Ronin, and were certainly intended to be funny (just not in a purely lowbrow slapstick way).
Idiot geek. There is little worse than somebody who is wrong but still full of themselves.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Vince,

I thought the same thing about Movie Geek. I would have thought that he must see a LOT more than 75 a year. Heck, if you only see two movies a week you are up to 104 movies a year. However, his knowledge still impresses me and I would love to have him join this site!

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I also would like to see the movie geek join this site. He seems like he really knows his stuff. Rob I just watched the daily show repeat at 10 and that quote had me laughing my ass off. Nice call.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Maybe he meant he has seen 75 "new"movies a year. Back in 1979 (the year I dropped out of high school AND got a VCR) I rented and watched about 20 movies a week for two years until I started college (the first time).

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I think it would be cool to have the "Movie" geek on the HTF
He is on the HTF. That's all I'm going to say because he has yet to post to this thread (though I'm sure he's seen it), so he may be trying to keep a low profile and not reveal himself.

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Were we reading the same TMNT comics? They were done quite serious vein, and yes, parodying Ronin and other samurai style epics, but while it had its moments of outrageousness with laughs, it was all done darkly in the comic.

The comics and movies aren't even in the same universe.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Interesting...would the movie geek please stand up! :D
Seriously, I would love to chat with the man/myth. He impresses me with his knowledge and I really hope the show continues being successful.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Yeah...it's not too hard to find Marc (or should I say "Mark")...only he seems to confine his posts to the Studio and Manufacturer Feedback forum. Must still have a thing for writing to Paramount. :D

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Saw this again the other day and noticed that the "Music Geek" had been replaced. I wonder what happened there? Also, they had as their guest-geek a girl who claimed to be the "Friends" geek. Man, she really did not do well at all. She did not even know the lyrics to the theme song.
Still, an enjoyable show. (I still have not heard from Mark...he must be busy :D )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks