What's new

BD or BRD? (1 Viewer)

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
This is not really too important, but I've seen a couple people on here use the term "BRD" rather than "BD" when referring to a Blu-ray Disc. I've looked into this on the Blu-ray Association site and it appears BD is the correct term. Blu-ray is considered one word, although hyphenated. My Blu-ray blanks are labeled as BD-R or BD-R DL, and the Blu-ray Disc Association is abbreviated as BDA. No big deal, but I just thought I'd pass it on to anyone wanting to save one typing stroke. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John Hermes said:
This is not really too important, but I've seen a couple people on here use the term "BRD" rather than "BD" when referring to a Blu-ray Disc. I've looked into this on the Blu-ray Association site and it appears BD is the correct term. Blu-ray is considered one word, although hyphenated. My Blu-ray blanks are labeled as BD-R or BD-R DL, and the Blu-ray Disc Association is abbreviated as BDA. No big deal, but I just thought I'd pass it on to anyone wanting to save one typing stroke. :)
Up until a couple of days ago I used BD, but now I use BRD. Next week, I might go back to BD if my mood changes.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
TravisR said:
Since the difference between either one is only 4 or 5 characters, I just type out 'Blu-ray'. :)

I prefer to type it out as well. Sometimes I'll say "high-def". Until about a year ago I didn't know what BD meant. I saw people refer to it while discussing Blu-rays but I didn't really think about it much. I actually didn't know it meant "Blu-ray Disc". Personally, I don't think saying "BD" will ever catch on with me. It doesn't sound sexy enough :P

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
"BRD" makes me think of the radio/player in my car that displays "CDP" when I'm playing a CD. And what is CDP? It's VW's way of making sure I know I'm not just playing a CD -- i'm using the Compact Disc PLAYER.

I think I used to type "BLU" before finally adopting "BD".

Let's just hope we have no one here who says "BD disc". If so, they no doubt call those other things "ATM machines".

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I just noticed this thread for the first time.
Haven't had time to read it very closely yet but have one question ....
Do I have to replace all my BDs with BRDs? Will I notice much difference? Hope there's none of that widescreen nonsense on BRDs!

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I too only just noticed this amazing thread.

I use BD or Blu-ray, not BRD - except for those times when I'm referring to the Development Bank of Rwanda, then it's OK to use BRD.

GQCzYrZ.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks