What's new

BBC's The Office (R2) (1 Viewer)

Joey

Stunt Coordinator
I've been watching the BBC sitcom, THE OFFICE, on BBC America, and recently on my quarterly visit to the UK, I decided to pick up the R2 DVD of the whole series (1) and it is amongst the funniest shows I've seen in a while. Anyway, has anyone had the chance to see this show? It's even more entertaining due to the fact that it takes place in Slough, UK (where I visit quite often and where some of my best friends live - no comments on the town, please - LOL). If you haven't, I highly recommend this show on BBC America!

Joey

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I finished watching this a few weeks ago. Very funny stuff! Is there a second season on right now over there?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Yes, there is, but I'm afraid I can't tell you more than that. Personally I can't face watching it - to me it's too close to reality.

Joey

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, actually I believe the second series aired last year on BBC and it is going to be released on R2 DVD this fall, according to the BBC website. BBC Canada is actually currently showing the second series - and I think they showed the third episode of the second series yesterday. I taped it as I did not want to watch it out of order. :)

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
Best comedy I've seen on TV in ages.

I've watched series 1 and 2 on our cable network called UK TV.

The first series is out here on DVD too. It's fantastic.

I wonder what Ricky Gervais (star and co-creator) will do next.

Joey

Stunt Coordinator
I've also read that a third series has been ruled out which is sad. 12 total episodes seems too short for this gem. The appeal just stems from the show being too awfully close to real life for us office dwellers. I know the ABC Network here in the U.S. has bought the rights to produce an American version of the show - but I just can't imagine it comparing even remotely to the original as I don't believe the subtleness is going to translate well to the American writers' expectations of what the American audience will like.

And that would be a shame since that is what makes it so appealing! IMHO, I think the show needs to be written by the people who understand the humor and unfortunately I don't have the confidence that the American writers will understand it. It'll end up being another throw-away mid season replacement sitcom that vaguely resembles the original.

But then again, I guess I'm not being fair...

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
IMHO, I think the show needs to be written by the people who understand the humor and unfortunately I don't have the confidence that the American writers will understand it.
It's not the writers who are at fault, it's the Studio execs. They'll try and dumb it down to the point where any irony and subtlety is well and truly buried under a hideous laugh track. Why does this series even need to be adapted? It's not like they're speaking Romanian. If Canadians and Australians can understand it, then I worry for any American who can't. Leave well enough alone, it the motto and one which the US networks should have learnt years ago.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I've also read that a third series has been ruled out which is sad. 12 total episodes seems too short for this gem.
There were only ever twelve episodes of Fawlty Towers as well. American critics have often attacked Brit comedies for the tiny number of episodes. However, what should be remembered is that Brit comedy series tend to be written by one or two writers, whereas American comedy series are written by a large team, and may even accept scripts from outside the group. The result is that the best of Brit comedies tend to be fairly individual in feel, but short on episodes.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
There is far more swearing (much of it very strong) in the show than any public US station could handle, so I can sort of see the logic in remaking it, as bleeps would be unstomachable. I very much doubt it will compare favourably to the UK original though.

By the way, if you liked The Office, another great series on DVD with a complete tool as a main character is I'm Alan Partridge.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
Terrific series, can't see a US version having the subtely to pull it off.

I believe that Series 2 is due out this autumn on R2!

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
There is far more swearing (much of it very strong) in the show than any public US station could handle, so I can sort of see the logic in remaking it, as bleeps would be unstomachable. I very much doubt it will compare favourably to the UK original though.
Is there really that much swearing in it? And if there is, it's supposed to be a documentary, in real life people say things that might need to be bleeped out. A normal comedy wouldn't work if bad language was bleeped, but a show like this would add to the whole documentary feel.

We get the second season next week. Looking forward to it.

Joey

Stunt Coordinator
Good to hear that the second series is finally coming out. But all the way in October! They actually waited a whole year. :) This show is one of those that I keep laughing after seeing the same bit over and over again.

I still don't look forward to the US version, though, despite Ricky Gervaise's input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks