What's new

Battlestar Galactica Season 3 (Oct 06) (1 Viewer)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Hey, just because a tribunal panel is supposed to be more disciplined than a jury doesnt necessarily make it so. :) With Bill Adama's son participating in the defense, esepcially to the extent of cross-examining witnesses, I'm of the opinion that Bill should recuse himself.

Would it be within the rules for Lee to mention to the other judges on the panel what Bill said about Baltar being "obviously guilty" and not deserving of a trial?

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Re the legal issue of Roslin talking to Lee, it's not that big a deal. Witnesses often go outside of what they are asked or find a way to explain a previous answer if they aren't given a chance when being cross examined. Usually, the other party's attorney will begin her redirect by saying "you wanted to explain your previous statement. Why are you taking the chamalla?" Same result, the answer gets out. Even if Lee didn't ask, the prosecutor would have. An experienced attorney, which Lee is not, would likely not have asked the question. But maybe not. Once Roslin spoke, he might as well ask since he can then continue to ask questions depending on what she said. It was a judgment call on the fly. Definitely not unbelievable. That stuff happens all the time.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "retcon"? (Even though I don't know what it is, I'm inclined to agree with you. :))

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
RetCon is an added storyline designed to fix a plot hole.

There is a funny scene in "Thank you for not smoking" where a producer wants actors to be smoking in a Spaceship.
When asked "Won't the ships explode"? The response was "We will have the actors say... thank god we invented the.... whatever".

Not technically a RetCon, but the same idea.

nick

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
How is it a retcon? This is no "Lee's prostitute lover" scenerio. According to Roslin, she only found out about the relapse a week prior. We have no idea how severe it is or anything else. Considering that she was entirely cured, it would make sense that she wouldn't be running to the doctor all the time like traditional cancer survivors would. Moore said at the time she was originally cured that that was no garentee for the future.

I can already tell how much better this episode was than the last several because the discussion and debate has jumpstarted.:emoji_thumbsup: Much as I love Starbuck, if getting rid of her was what it took to refocus the remaining elements, I'm all for it.:emoji_thumbsup:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Because it comes out of thin air. Had we seen her sneaking the drug into the coffee in the last episode, no problem. Had Roslin and/or Bill been downbeat, no problem. But it seems to have come back out of thin air. I'm willing to forgive a lot of this shows sins, but this is not one of them.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
It's a retcon because it comes out of nowhere. The viewer had no reason to doubt the deus ex machina that was used to cure her in the first place. Now it's revealed at the most dramatic moment that her cancer is back just to give the character a way of saving face after she has been exposed on the witness stand. It was highly convenient and with not even a subtle hint before this it seemed out of left field.

gushin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gustavo Hinojosa
Where's Tom Zarek in all this? He was VP under Baltar, ordered to be executed after New Caprica's occupation, became the President of the Colonies after the rescue, resigns giving the presidency to Roslin, thus becoming VP again. He would certainly have testimony to give, but there is no sight or mention of him at all. Even the preview shows no hint of him showing up.

Somewhat off topic, anyone surprised no credit sequence?

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Thanks for the link, Mikah.

Agreed about the show's newfound focus and direction with this episode. This is the first time in weeks I've felt like the show's gone anywhere.

I was somewhat disappointed that Gaeta didn't testify, that the defense didn't portray Baltar as having fed Gaeta documents for the resistance, and that nothing of the death squads came out during the trial. I thought all of that was a build-up toward the trial, but instead of bringing everything from past episodes to a dramatic climax, RM sucker punches us with cancer.

Not quite what I hoped for, but at least it wasn't the "Days of Our Lives" love quadrangle.

Oh, and before I forget, I have to mention that I thought the manner in which events precipitated from Caprica 6's interrogation was masterfully done. Very good television, in that regard.

I'm glad the show's back on track. (More or less...)

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes

I did consider that. Galactica acts as a giant tuner for the nebula effect (if I'm right). I wonder if anyone is getting edgy on the other ships in the fleet.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Where is it said that we, as the viewer, need perfect information on everything that goes on? Not everything needs to be foreshadowed.

And how does this come out of nowhere? There are people all the time where the Cancer goes into remission, only to later come back. How is this unrealistic? It is certainly more realistic than her "miracle cure".

Jason

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

In this case, it did. We had been led to believe for an entire season now that the cancer was gone. For it to magically reappear when the story demanded it is foolish.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

While it is totally possible that Roslin's cancer is back, I am finding it very convenient that her cancer is back. Roslin seemed to be up to something and seemed to be to focused and not very upset that she is facing death all over again. So Roslin is ether hiding the fact that she is an addict and that is why she tried to get Lee to not bring it up in court. Or the cancer had to come back because in order for the scriptures to be correct Roslin must die. If not then they must question scriptures and the possibility that Earth is a myth?

It is good that the cylon threat is back in the story line where it belongs. The court room is going to boil over and it is not going to be pretty. It is showing signs that when it hits the fan the fleet could fragment again. And that is something the human race does not need with the cylons trailing them across the universe.

I hope we do not have to wait till the end of the year to start season 4 that would drive me nuts.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I guess Roslin could be faking it because they need the scriptures and Earth's existence to be true to give them all hope. Cottle could easily confirm or deny her claim but I doubt Adama would let anyone question him.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Has it been decideed yet as to how many episodes next season will get? And I also wanna know when it'll start up again. I'm dreading facing another BSG cliffhanger!

I just assumed they had too much story and needed the time that the opening takes up.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
You REALLY do not want to read this unless you want to know how it ends.

Someone posted a complete synopsis of this ep and the next ep about a week or so ago. After watching the ep and reading it, they are spot on:

The song is All Along the Watchtower, and yes, they are the final five, they are picking up the transmission from earth. Baltar gets off and Starbuck returns...you can guess the rest

Exact info here http://www.buffistas.org/showthread....8&post_id=1853

If your kicking yourself because you read that, its your own fault :)

Seriously, it explains all the way till the end of S3...I wasn't sure of its accuracy but it reads perfect with the ep Sunday night.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I hate to tell you this, but it could very likely be next year before the fourth season starts. The next season isn't planned to start until January 2008. There might possibly be that direct-to-DVD/TV-movie before the start of next season, but that's not going to answer the cliffhangers of season 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks