1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Battlestar Galactica Season 3 (Oct 06)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Sam Favate, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal Supporting Actor

People subscribe to threads? Whoa.

That must get kind of annoying when this thread gets really active.

Oh, and my condolences on the spoiler. Please don't tell me whatever it was.

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

The cancer was gone for the entire season. It only came back recently. If the writers didn't want the cancer to be back, they would have found some other MacGuffin to put Roslin in a similar position.

3. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Finally watched Part One of the Season Finale Tonight. Was this meant to be a two hour movie? I noticed the title/credits was in more of a traditional movie format with no opening credits, was this split to extend the season? Anyhow I like it because I'm a sucker for these Scifi Courtroom Dramas, Loved them from Trek to UFo to Well you get the idea. It's a well worn premise. Anyhow I liked it, I like the Ne wLawyer Character. But I too am having a Problem with Bill Adama And Laura Roslin. It seems all season long these guys switch character traits depending on if the scene commands it. One moment they are threatening to Burn books, throw people Out of Air locks and all other Fascist Notions, the Next they are Spouting Rule of Law. One Moment Adama Asks his son to provide legal coverage, in fact the President requests it, the next he's screaming at Apollo not to do it. It's all over the Place. Adama and Apollo's Falling out again seems out of place after all they've been thru, this seems like S1 positions of the characters. It says something that I find myself actually Rooting for Baltar to screw these guys over and Folks that's not how I should be feeling. Granted the series does not want to be clear cut about who exactly are the Bad guys and I guess from the Era we live in I can understand where they are coming from, still a part of Me Yearns for Richard Hatch's and Dirk Benedict's Plucky Heroes.

4. Graham Perks

Graham Perks Second Unit

Finally! A really good episode, with interesting arc subplots and mysteries.

Just in time to break for nearly a year :-(

Why couldn't they have done this weeks ago and made a compelling season?

My thought on the music is implants, done on New Caprica when they were taken prisoner (not everyone spent time in the cooler like Tigh, and probably Anders). Whether these implants will let them be controlled by the cylons... well Ander's comment in the preview was interesting!

Sadly while they got rid of Starbuck, her character madness has now infected Apollo and, to a lesser extent, Adama. That sucks.

Hooray for menacing Cylons!

5. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I watched the preview again right after the show ended. Anders' lips don't move, and it sounds like the voice is Chief Tyrol's.

6. MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein Supporting Actor

Misha Lauenstein

I assumed it was a trick to get out of showing the normal credits with Katee Sachoff in them.

It would be a waste of money to pay for new credits that you're only going to use once. [​IMG]

7. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    I think RDM made mention of this in the podcast. They had to get special permission to drop the credits sequence from Sci Fi. The reason, I think, was the open already had a recap of sorts.

8. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Well gee. Just when I Lee Adama was becoming somewhat bearable (No more Kat-Lee, and I like him well enough as CAG barking at his pilots), he had to go and revert to his yellow disloyal little fuckshit self. Best moment of the episode was Dee leaving his sorry ass. Gosh what a loser, I find even Balthar more palatable at this point.

Someone please space him already.

But of course all will be well again in a few episodes time. It wouldn't be the first time Lee has been disloyal, and for all his tough talk, Adama has a history of turning the other cheek to traitors -- see Helo and the virus.

--
    H

9. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Maybe I missed something, but how is it disloyal? Does he or Romo believe Baltar is innocent? No, they know he isn't. But their job is to make sure justice is carried out according to the law.

10. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Jason

Who's being disloyal? Lee, who is just doing his job, or his father for calling him a liar and a coward? Personally, if I was in Lee's position, I'd be pissed. Adama has more loyalty to his friend than he does to his own son, who has tried like hell to get into his good graces. Meanwhile, Tigh continues to screw up, but Adama backs him anyways.

The problem is, in the end, Adama and the president, despite all they claimed, didn't really want a fair trial for Baltar, and didn't seem to understand the implications of what can happen in a trial. Information that you may not want the public to know may now go out on public record. This whole thing has turned into a mess because they didn't understand what could happen.

As for Dee, I expected that. It is probably going to be hard for anyone to stand with Lee, with all the bad feelings around for Baltar from most of the staff.

Jason

11. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Somoeone has to defend the Balthars of this world. It just didn't have to be him. He has gone above and beyond the call of duty to lend credibility to that defence. Heck, that was not even his assignement. He is doing it to stick to the old man -- because that's what he does best.

As a soldier of the remnants of the Human race, Lee Adama was an utter embarassement in the last episode.

--
    H

12. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

They did. They just didn't expect someone who should know better to be doing the dirty job. They didn't expect one of their own to be the one with the knife.

--
    H

13. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Remember when we all loved the show. When each episode was a joy to watch. The writing was so sharp, and you KNEW the characters. I have last weeks on TiVo, and have not watched it. Guess now i will just wait til Sunday and watch them back, to back.
    My guess is we wont see this season on DVD until fall, or maybe even closer to Christmas. Since the next season wont show up until Jan.! Waiting til the next season lets you buy, watch, and catch up again. Sad part is i am not sure i will buy season 3 on DVD. So many of you guys wanted season 2 to be released as one part, yet i hope for season 3 to be split on DVD. The start of the season was so good, but the end of it has slipped into soap opera. For me the begining of the end was Battlestar Balboa, aka the boxing episode. From that point on it has had more duds than hits. I cant see myself poping $60 to $70, that i know the whole 3rd season might go for on release. I could skip most of the second half of this season on DVD and not even miss it!

14. Don S

Don S Stunt Coordinator

Amen to this.

15. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason

Yes, his job was initially security. However, he was also charged with setting up the ground rules of the tribunal...something both Bill and Laura wanted. Lee believes in the system and, as such, wants to see it work so he can prove to Dee, among others, that it does work. He doesn't believe Baltar is innocent; rather, that he is guiltier than sin. But everyone deserves a fair trial. That's what Lee is trying to provide.

Is he going out of his way, though? No. He got himself assigned to the case and then resigned over it. Now, he is doing what any lawyer worth his salt would do: try to get his client off, innocence or guilt be damned.

16. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Except he is not his lawyer, he took that role upon himself. It would have been completely different if Lee had been assigned the position. Then I would believe in a dispassionate defence in the name of the Law. But Lee took it upon himself to help defend the monster. Please.

At the risk of repeating myself, someone has to defend the bastard -- it just didn't have to be Lee Adama. Try imagining how jews would feel if one of their own defended Goering at Nurember. Everyone has the right to a fair trial, it just does not have to be one of their own on the other side.

--
    H

17. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

You're forgetting that Lamkin was severely injured and confined to a hospital bed. When Lee went to Adama and requested to help Lamkin out with the preparation, as he was the only person present for his interviews, Adama reassigned him. Lee was looking out for the fairness of Baltar's trial because he was in a unique position to do so.
    When he saw that Adama didn't care about keeping things honest, he forced the issue and took a moral stand on the justice system as a whole. It wasn't just about sticking it to his Dad, though that certainly didn't help, and it wasn't a job that anyone else besides him could do.

18. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

It seems to me that he didn't attempt to discredit the prosecution's witness until his father called him a lying coward with no integrity, just because Tigh had the misfortune of being pushed to the bottle directly before testifying in public. His father stabbed him in the back, so he no longer felt the need to be loyal over the needs of his client. If his father hadn't blamed him for Tigh's behavior, I think Apollo's actions would have turned out very differently.

19. Nick_Scott

Nick_Scott Second Unit

I did not get the impression that Lee was really doing this to "make sure the trial is fair".

I thought the episide was CLEAR that Lee really just HATED being in his fathers shadow, and really just wanted to hurt him. The scene with the lawyer cemented this, with Lee's reactions

Lee hates the military, but was forced into it. Throughout the show, he has taken many oppurtunities to annoy his father (ie Zarek in season 1, the Predident in season 2).

There has been a constant theme that Lee was NOT the favorite son. So Bill was much harder on Lee, and blamed him for his brothers death, and so on.

Nick

20. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Not much to add except that the stand alone episodes have blunted some of the dramatic moments of the trial. Many would have been much more powerful if the show had skipped the last 4 episodes and gone straight into this one.