What's new

bass mis-management ... (1 Viewer)

Jeff.bart

Stunt Coordinator
After months of research, I've finally scaled near the top of the formidable redoubt of modern HT technology -- only to run smack into the bass-management issue.

My question is simply this: which brand of receivers, particularly in the $1200 or less range, handles bass management best?

It seems the simple answer is to enable users to set the crossover point on the A/V at 10 Hz intervals. Would that also take care of the issue regarding DVD-A and SACD? Or would the receiver also have to have the option of allowing the owner to shut off the A/V's bass-management system and let them set the crossover point on the sub?

I am stunned, even as someone fairly new to HT technology, that the industry let this become a hot issue. Once you get to the "middle-class" audiophile crowd -- those who pay $1000 or so for AVs and can't afford separates -- it would seem like they'd be quite willing to fork over a few more bucks for more control of bass-management.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sony appears to have the best bass management of mass market integrated receivers in that price range, with it's independent configuration of each channel.

Harman Kardon would probably be the next one I could think of that has limited but useful flexibility. I'm not sure, but I think the Outlaw 1050 also has some type of configurability.

In reality, having a fixed x-over is not really that big of a deal, but configurability is still more often than not, a better way to go.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
The only ones I know of are the Sony ES line of receiver's and the upcoming Denon AVR-3803. I think you can adjust the HK's from 80, 100, and 120Hz.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The H/Ks have a selectable x-over, two choices each, for both the large and small speaker settings.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Just looking at the online manual for the AVR320 and 520 and you can choose from 40, 60, 80, and 100 Hz. I previously diregarded this receiver because I read somewhere on this forum that it was 80, 100, and 120.

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
iT should be noted that these x-overs only work in the digital domain and are not applicable to the 6 channel ext. input ...when we see mnfgrs put two 6 chnl ins w/analog bass mngmnt, Oh what happy day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chriss M

Second Unit
Frank, 40hz and 60hz are only available on the H/K's when the main speakers are set to LARGE. This sends a full range signal to the mains and then you get double bass played by the sub below the crossover point. With your main speakers set to small, the only options are 80 and 100.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Matt,

"...when we see mnfgrs put two 6 chnl ins w/analog bass mngmnt, Oh what happy day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Happy day? Maybe, maybe not. If a processor/receiver has both digital and analog bass management, you will in all likelihood run into phase issues as digital and analog crossovers can generate different phase shifts into the signal.

If you calibrate your sub's phasing with the mains using the digital bass management, those settings may not be optimal when you switch to an input using the analog bass management. Same goes if you calibrate with the analog bass management, then switch to the digital bass management.

Subwoofer phase issues is a major consideration also when combining a 2 channel preamp with a HT processor/receiver in the same system, when the subwoofer is being used both for music and movies.

Michael

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
Michael, good points, however ,I think I'll better like dealing with thosed issues WITHOUT having to run another component and also of late ,I've begun using a Rel to take bass straight off the speakers level.....just to see how I can blend bass....no multiple x-overs and all....but I could always elect not to use that feature , just like to see it inboard....like global vs individual x-overs, don't know which works better yet but might enjoy the option of finding out....we are always trading one set of problems for another.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks