What's new

Directors Baseball Players' Game Thread (4 Viewers)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
King Kong Keller
Charlie Keller played 13 seasons for the evilYankees and the Tigers. 5-time all-star in the 40s. Finished 2nd or 3rd in the AL homerun race four times in the 40s. Twice drew 106 walks.
kellersepiaufp.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Marty Krug
Born in Koblenz, Germany, Krug was a utility infielder for the 1912 World Champion Boston Red Sox. The 23-year old batted .308 in 24 games. The only other time he played in the show was ten years later (at the age of 33) for the 1922 Cubbies.
FWIW, Fenway opened in 1912, Wrigley in 1914.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
George "Lucky" Whiteman
Outfielder for the World Champion 1918 Red Sox. Batted .250 in the six game series.
Thank you, James. Most people don't know how tough this is.

James RD

Supporting Actor
Walt Chipple - Hit .136 for the 1945 Senators.
Some comments on the playoffs and World Series:
It took me a while to actually watch any of the Evilyanks/Red Sox series. There was a very bitter taste in my mouth after the A's gave (game 3) another series away. The bush-league antics of several Red Sox players and the obnoxious behavior of many Red Sox fans made it difficult for me to root for the Sox, even though they were playing the very embodiment of evil.
I characterized the ALCS as a grudge match between Ted Bundy (Evilyankees) and Jeffrey Dahmer (Red Sox). Ted was arrogant, handsome, devious and a champion amongst serial killers. Jeff was creepy and extremely hungry. He also had a tendancy to not finish things (remember the refrigerator?). Bundy was much more confidant and accomplished, while the less experienced Dahmer had an amazing appetite. I faced a dilemma. What to do?
In the end I favored the lesser evil, and in the end the ultimate evil prevailed. I had an encouraging thought yesterday. While musing about my twisted analogy, I recalled that Ted Bundy was captured and executed in Florida. Perhaps there will be justice again.
Go Fish! :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:eek: Wow! Now, there's an analogy! :D
I understand completely. I also understood your silence. Much as your Athletics gave away Game 3 of he ALDS, my Red Sox (damn Grady Little) simply gave away Game 7 of the ALCS.
As of this sitting, I don't believe I'll be watching any of the 2003 World Series (very radical for me). I think I've had enough the past couple of weeks anyhow. Time to get on with some other things.
Chick Shorten Member of the Red Sox world championship teams of '15 & '16. Batted .571 in the '16 World Series.
Chick was involved in the four player deal which sent him and Slim Love from the Red Sox to the Tigers for Ossie Vitt.

James RD

Supporting Actor
Shovel Hodge - 14-15, 5.17 ERA for the 1920-22 White Sox.
Only about a week left for this glorious thread!
Go Fish!;)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Let's go out with a blaze of All-Stars! ...........
Now batting....Number forty-four...four...four...fo...f....
Henry Aaron
(Keep in mind, that J. Dahmer also liked to leave his victims half-dressed and screaming in the street. [Well, once this happened anyway.] Sadly, this might also have occurred in downtown Boston after Game 7. :frowning:)
:D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
How about a lifetime .334 batting average over a 20-season career? That would belong to....
Aloysius Harry Simmons
Hall-Of-Famer Al Simmons played outfield for the Athletics of Philadelphia and a few other teams between 1924 & '44. Was AL batting champion in both 1930 & '31 (.381 & .390, respectively). His .392 in 1927 placed him 2nd behind Detroit's Harry Heilmann's .398!
simmons.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Phil Niekro
318 wins against 274 losses over a 24-season career.
Five-time gold glove winner. Three-time 20-game winner. 17 - 5 in 1982. Led the leagues in complete games in '77(20), '78(22), & '79(23).
base67.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks