What's new

Directors Baseball Players' Game Thread (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I think the MVP is the most valuable player in a league--not on a team.
But that definition makes it a bit difficult to determine a winner every year, IMO. Because (while it IS the MVP for a certain LEAGUE) -- since all players only play for one TEAM at a time, and not all teams in his league, it seems to me the MVP in a given year simply MUST boil down to what player in our League was the most valuable (or invaluable/indispensable) to his team during the previous 162-game period.
How else could it be interpreted? After all, a potential winner doesn't play for the entire league. Just his team's portion of said league.
Perhaps there should be more "sharing" of the MVP Award, like in 1979, when BOTH Keith Hernandez (St.L.) and Willie Stargell (Pitts.) split the honor.
Then again, maybe there could be a Most Valuable in each Division of each League. That'd spread around the glory pretty well, and perhaps keep the "He wuz robbed!" talk to a minimum the following winter. Probably would spread the award pretty thin though at that.
Anyway...I'm still basking in the 1970s, when my Reds had 6 of the decade's 10 MVP winners, an achievement I doubt has been matched by any team in a decade (not sure though). ..... Johnny Bench (x2), Pete Rose, Joe Morgan (x2), and George Foster. Those were the days. :)
Now, we're the doormats of the Central. Oh, well. Our idols crumble. *wipes tear* :frowning:
Let's perk things up with the ever-lovable........
Frankie Frisch
(In his hey-day, Frankie owned multiple quick-service hamburger outlets in the Cincinnati & Tri-State areas. :) :D)
Come see the gooooood people at Frisch's....'Cause Frisch's has so much more! .... Frisch's has so much mooooooooore!

James RD

Supporting Actor
Forrest More - 2-10, 4.74 ERA for the Cards and Boston Rustlers in 1909. Later, a darling of the Green Party.
DVP's assessment of what an MVP should be is accurate in my view.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Thank you James (re. MVP). :)
2+ days without a post here.
E-gads!!!! :)
(I think site was down all of yesterday however. Anybody else not able to get here on Oct. 4?)
Marty Pattin

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
And that means the team had to.....make the post-season? ....contend for the play-offs? ....play competitive baseball? .....do better than second division?
Not necessarily.
But, as human nature usually dictates, a "most valuable" individual on a Playoff-bound squad will probably get more votes from the writers than the star player who "helped" immeasurably in boosting the Tigers' 119-loss campaign. :D
It's really a tough balancing act, I guess, each year. Because there ARE (of course) good/great players on EVERY team, even those Tigers (I suppose :)).
But, since the aim of the game is to get past October 1st, I suppose a lot of writers DO indeed feel that the MVP should be from a winning troupe.
There have been, as you know of course, many League MVPs from non-winning clubs. George Foster was just TOO good for the 2nd-place Reds in 1977 for the writers to say no to (52 HR/149 RBI/.320 BA).
Has there EVER been an MVP from a last-place club? Or one from even a sub-.500 team? I'm not sure. Get busy, kids, and find out! :) :)
Mo Vaughn

James RD

Supporting Actor
Vance Dinges - Hit .291 in 501 AB for the 1945-46 Phillies.
Ernie Banks was MVP in 1958 and '59. The Cubs finished 6th and under .500 each year.
Yes, Mike, I'm going to the game tonight.:rolleyes: :crazy:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Suter Sullivan
Played 169 games in 1898 & 1899. Batted .245 for the 20-134 1899 Cleveland Spiders.
James: Congratulations on a great series by your team. What a thriller! I envy you your opportunity to be there! I promise that my boys will do everything they can to hold off the evilYankees.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Gus Weyhing
Nicknamed "Cannonball", "Rubber Arm Gun", or "Rubber-Winged Gus", August Weyhing was a 21-game loser for the 1899 Washington Senators.
Won 30+ games four seasons in a row (lost 20+ games three of those years!).
Not too many are weyhing Gus' hall-of-fame credentials.

James RD

Supporting Actor
Buddy Booker - Hit .182 in 33 AB for the 1966 Indians and 1968 White Sox. This is what a cop would say to his partner as they were about to arrest a hooker.:)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
You kids ready for the "Underdog World Series", Chic. vs. Boston? (I hope so. :))
Bobby Bonds
UPI report from Boston, MA.: "Buddy Booker and Bobby Bonds were booked today by Bill Briggs of the Back Bay Boston Bureau of the BPD. :)
(Now....What about those clean copper clappers kept in the closet by kleptomaniac Claude Cooper of Cleveland?? Come clean or I'll clobber ya!) :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ned Williamson
Led the National League in home runs in 1884 with 27. Then, not surprisingly, he led the league in walks in 1885 with 75.
Would occasionally pitch an inning or two (35 IP total over a 7 year career exclusive to the Chicago NL franchise). Recorded two saves in 1885, one in 1886! :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The man who charged the mound tonight in Game 3 of the 2003 ALCS....
Don Zimmer
An all-star in 1961. Twice beaned during his career. Once in a coma for 13 days after being hit in the head.
don_zimmer1.jpg

photo035.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks