What's new

Base shakers of powered sub? Can it be done... if so, how? (1 Viewer)

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
The built in amp is connected between the input signal and the speaker, so it will power the internal speaker of the sub itself - and it looks like it will allow you to daisy chain the signal to another sub - but that sub (or shakers in your case) - will have to get its power from somewhere else. It will only pass on the signal without amplification through the RCA or speaker connections...

mrpaseo

Agent
Real Name
Ray
Can you please provide an example of what it will take to operate these base shakers. I am trying to get these operational before the 1st of the moth.

Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Shakers are just a speaker without a cone. They add weight to the moving part so you can feel the tactile sensations more. You need an amp to power them. The 240w amp you linked to is just one of many examples that you can use.

I've felt a few 'shakers' but they have all seemed like a gimmick. I'd much rather have the sub provide the same sensations. All you need is a sub big enough to do that.

-Robert

mrpaseo

Agent
Real Name
Ray

Robert, thank you for your response. Can you (Or anyone reading this) offer an explanation or wiring diagram of how to wire these to the amp linked above?

Thanks.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Remove the amp from your SVS sub and use the same wires that were connected to the driver. If you are dead set on getting shakers then I recommend a separate amp. The plate amp you linked to earlier will have to be mounted in some type of enclosure. It would be much easier to use an amp like this.

-Robert

mrpaseo

Agent
Real Name
Ray

Robert,
Thank you, I think I understand the hook up now (Though I still do not understand how to wire it, I will figure it out when the amp arrives). I still do not have any type of enclosure for my "rack" so I will keep in mind what equipment I do have when I built it since I already purchased the first amp noted above. Thank you for you recommendation, time and patience.

Ray

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are 2 speaker wires (1 positive and 1 negative) coming out of the back of the amp. The red wire connects to the red terminal on the shaker. The black wire connects to the black wire on the shaker.

-Robert

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
As far as hook ups go - if you still wanted to use your SVS sub at the same time as the shakers, you have two choices. You could run an RCA "Y" connector out of the back of your receiver/processor - looking up the existing sub cable from one of the connectors to your SVS sub - and a separate cable to hook up to the amp for the shakers. Then both amps would get the exact same signal, and you change the volume and the "shake" independently. That is one way to do it. You could also run a separate RCA cable from the low level out on the SVS to the amp for the shakers. I would recommend the first method...

mrpaseo

Agent
Real Name
Ray

Robert,
That is what I figured out when I wrote my last response, the only question now is should they be wired in series to make 8ohms or parallel?

Thanks,
Ray

mrpaseo

Agent
Real Name
Ray

Martino,
Great info, thank you. I will go with option one as you reccomended. Since I purchased the mountable amp, I was thinking about mounting it in the side of the seating. I have to first experiment with how much heat it is going to produce.

Thanks again,
Ray

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

I agree Robert by themselves they are not as much fun. I run two separate 12" powered subs and the shakers. I have them set up so I can run them all together or each one independently and find I love the shakers the most when playing video games.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since they are 4 ohm nominal loads, you should wire them in series so the amp will see an 8 ohm load. If you wire them in parallel your amp will see a 2 ohm load. It will power them for a few minutes before going into protection mode. I've run a few PE plate amps at 2 ohms and they all do this.

-Robert

mrpaseo

Agent
Real Name
Ray

Robert,
Once again, thank you very much for the info. My amp should arrive in a few days. For the record, I watched my first Blue Ray movie (5.1) today and without the shakers... The seats were shaking... I can not begin to express how giddy I was. It's all worth it.

Thank you for your help,
Ray

mrpaseo

Agent
Real Name
Ray
The amp has arrived. Now I need to figure out how to connect it. I will pick up a Y cable today (Hopefully). As I undrstand it, I will run this AMP from the same port as my AMP isrunning from now (Thu the Y cable).

I then connect the two Base shakers to the wires coming out of the back of the is series (Black wire to shaker 1 black connector, shaker 1 red connector to shaker two black connector, shaker two red connector to red cale from back of EXT AMP.

Then, turn on the equipment and shake.

What did I miss?
Ray

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks