What's new

Barrie Maxwell/Cary Grant article (1 Viewer)

Jo_C

Second Unit
I just read Maxwell's latest article on Digital Bits about Cary Grant, and I found it very fascinating.

I should mention a few things that Maxwell left out, however. In the latter part of Grant's career, he founded his own production company, Grantley Company (in much the same fashion Ida Lupino founded her own company, The Filmmakers, Charlton Heston and his Agamaggon Films, etc.). Grantley made some of Grant's best films, such as "Operation Petticoat", "That Touch Of Mink", and "Father Goose".

Universal only had distribution rights. At some point, Grant got full rights. Today (now correct me if I'm wrong), both Grant's daughter Jennifer (on behalf of the Grant Estate) and Paramount Pictures (via Republic) own the rights to these films (which would make Artisan the home video rights holder as they currently hold license to the Republic library). As stated elsewhere, in the fall of next year, Paramount regains the video rights to Republic's library.

With all respect to Jennifer Grant and her mother Dyan Cannon, Grant was one of the best actors in the business. He is a legend. And he is still missed.

Jennifer, if you're reading this, I'm sure your father would have been proud that his films are still enjoyed.

And Martin Blythe at Paramount, I hope you plan something special for Grant's films on DVD in the future.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I agreed with most of Barrie's assessments of the films, except for thinking more highly of his later comedies. I think Father Goose and Touch of Mink are both great films.

Jo_C

Second Unit
As usual, people are afraid of my threads that somehow end up getting "lost" in the shuffle.

I guess it's up to me to keep it alive by way of another correction of Barrie's I'd like to make...although "Penny Serenade" is in the public domain, Republic owns the original elements, and has released the "official" home video version of the movie (better looking than all the other labels), so it is really up to Republic/Paramount to see what they can do to "rescue" this title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks