What's new

Barney Miller Season 2-When? (1 Viewer)

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
We're all familiar with the frustration over no release of Season 2 of MTM by Fox, but I wonder if there's anyone out there like me who's wondering if Columbia will come out with Season 2 of this classic sitcom.

The 13 episode Season 1 release was hardly adequate to convey how good the show ultimately became. Even more than MTM, this show really hit its stride by Seasons 2 and 3. In the brief Season 1 that's been released we see Wojo as the ultimate "dumb Pole", and also more of a broader type of police work that we didn't see much of in subsequent years (like the "Stakeout" episode).

Season 2 would be the last season with Gregory Sierra (Chano) but it would also give us the first appearances by Steve Landesberg and Ron Carey on the show in guest spots as different characters. Landesberg's first appearance as Detective Dietrich comes close to season's end though Ron Carey doesn't first appear as Levitt until Season 3.

I hope Columbia proceeds with more of this since I really don't have much interest in any of the other sitcoms they've released which are already at Season 2 at bare minimum in how far they've gone (or at least announced in the case of Soap, I believe).

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Yep, I'd be interested for sure...I bought Season 1 and enjoyed it, though much preferred the later episodes (in particular Inspector Luger's first appearance). Wojo was hitting his stride near the end of these, but in the first 7 or 8 he really was a charicature. Chano and Nick were pretty close to fully formed out of the box.

I also noticed that the guest characters seemed to be more cleverly written near the end of Season 1. I always found that the writing truly sparkled for those just visiting the Precinct house...

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Time for me to bump this thread since the lack of information from Columbia about a Season 2 release is very disconcerting IMO. To be stuck with just a 13 episode Season 1 of this classic and nothing else on DVD would be worse than just a Season 1 MTM Show since at least MTM had a full first season of 24 episodes.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I would purchase every season of Barney Miller if Columbia would release them. Very happy they did release the first season but would like to see more before the end of the year. However I'm not sure if the sales were strong enough to warrant future releases. Anyone have any numbers or knowledge how well the first season sold? It would be a shame to only have 13 episodes to watch, and nothing more.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I really do hope that more seasons of this show are released. I really enjoyed getting to see these episodes again. Really enjoyed the two appearances of Inspector Luger.
My favorite episode was the Finale where Chano was forced to kill a suspect. That show stuck with me since it first aired way back when.
C'mon Columbia, please release more seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks