What's new

Barabbas HELP !!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Not a long list which lessens their importance because I see only one great film from that bunch.

The processes themselves make sure that picture and sound quality is above average and for me that adds to the charm of a movie. On top of that especially Barabbas and Lord Jim have their strong points that go beyond just having great picture and sound quality.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The processes themselves make sure that picture and sound quality is above average and for me that adds to the charm of a movie. On top of that especially Barabbas and Lord Jim have their strong points that go beyond just having great picture and sound quality.
Unfortunately, it’s too bad you’re not a studio executive, otherwise, they’re just two older movies that are nothing special except their super wide screen processes.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, it’s too bad you’re not a studio executive, otherwise, they’re just two older movies that are nothing special except their super wide screen processes.
Nothing special? Seems to me that you're being rather harsh here. New 70mm prints for Lord Jim have been struck some time ago and these do not come cheap, either so it is obviously not a case of nobody wanting to spend any money on them.

In any case I am pretty sure we will both get Lord Jim and Barabbas if they are available on Blu-ray in the quality that we usually get from Sony.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Nothing special? Seems to me that you being rather harsh here. New 70mm prints for Lord Jim have been struck some time ago and these do not come cheap, either so it is obviously not a case of nobody wanting to spend any money on them.

In any case I am pretty sure we will both get Lord Jim and Barabbas if they are available on Blu-ray in the quality that we usually get from Sony.
I'm not being harsh, I'm giving my honest opinion about those two movies. You feel differently about them which I have no problem with as film appreciation varies among us. I just think both movies are flawed films that should have been better than the final product. With that said, each film has their good qualities so I would upgrade my DVDs with better looking Blu-rays, if they're ever released as such.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
I unfortunately never was in the DeMille but it was a major house for roadshow epics throughout the 60s.
I assumed it was a large major theater with a large screen and superb projection facilities and a great sound system.
Why do you say it was not the best theater in which to see an epic? What was lacking? I know so little about it but thought it would have been on a level with other great large Times Square theaters.
The billboard was certainly spectacular.
I did not say that it wasn’t good. I said it wasn’t the best. The other theaters I mentioned had wider screens (some curved), better sound systems and were more luxurious in general (just my opinion).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
New 70mm prints for Lord Jim have been struck some time ago and these do not come cheap, either so it is obviously not a case of nobody wanting to spend any money on them.

I think the expenses are on a different order of magnitude so one really doesn’t have a relationship to the other. Striking a new 70mm print from an existing printing element will run about $10,000. On the other hand, scanning a 70mm negative and doing a full blown digital restoration is a six or seven figure endeavor depending on the length of the film and the condition of the elements.

FWAJMB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Blosser
TCM is showing Barabbas Easter Sunday 4/17 let's see if Sony has remastered the title but tells you something that Sony did stunning work restoring all The Three Stooges films (well deserved and a moneyspinner for Sony) meanwhile no such interest in Barabbas -- cannot see Barabbas getting the same love.
Let me know if you saw it and what you think.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I just skimmed through the topic was looking to see if Joe said how he was watching Barabbas but looks like he posted the op and never came back in.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I think the expenses are on a different order of magnitude so one really doesn’t have a relationship to the other. Striking a new 70mm print from an existing printing element will run about $10,000. On the other hand, scanning a 70mm negative and doing a full blown digital restoration is a six or seven figure endeavor depending on the length of the film and the condition of the elements.

Print costs for a very limited run of one or two prints from decades old negatives would be a lot more costly if done right and prices for scans and digital work have come down so this is not likely an order of magnitude thing but obviously it is not something that the studio stands to make their money back on within the first year after having completed the work. With that being said the studios still often do what is right, i-e- preserving movies for posterity, even in cases where they are unlikely to make their money back in the short run. For example Sony has revisited two of the Randolph Scott / Budd Boetticher westerns they own and both are now available in 4k. I strongly doubt that they got lots of complaints about the old 1080p versions nor would I assume there is a prospect of a lot of additional income that would only be available if these movies were in 4k. They still went ahead and did the work anyway.

Now Barabbas has about 4 times as much film real estate as one of these westerns but then it has not been available before in any decent form aside from some repertory prints so there would be additional money to be made from several income streams in home video, TV, streaming and repertory and festival screenings.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well one thing's for sure; the original cut negatives for Barabbas (& Lord Jim) have been sitting in the dark; those film cans untouched for many decades. Will those cans ever be opened? Will the film inside be in good order (I'd think so). Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks