What's new

Barabbas HELP !!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
For example Sony has revisited two of the Randolph Scott / Budd Boetticher westerns they own and both are now available in 4k. I strongly doubt that they got lots of complaints about the old 1080p versions nor would I assume there is a prospect of a lot of additional income that would only be available if these movies were in 4k. They still went ahead and did the work anyway.
Which two films are available in 4K, and where?

I for one complained about the low quality of the transfers on the recent Randolph Scott box-set from Mill Creek. Except for one non Budd Boetticher title, they all looked like mediocre DVD transfers.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Which two films are available in 4K, and where?

4k DCP for now, I would think that at some point we will see (UHD) Blu-ray releases and/or streaming versions based on the new scans:

I for one complained about the low quality of the transfers on the recent Randolph Scott box-set from Mill Creek. Except for one non Budd Boetticher title, they all looked like mediocre DVD transfers.

I can only comment on the Powerhouse collection and detail is quite a bit better than on DVD and they look like they were shot on film which is not always the case these days:

I am sure the new 4k versions will improve on that but the question is by how much.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
It has been quite a while since I logged in but for those contributors who I know will be interested , the new Imprint Barabbas has arrived.
It starts with a disclaimer as to PQ and while it is far from what it should look like, it is an appreciable step up from the dreadful Sidonis French disc .
Colours are far better and close ups and mid shots much sharper.
Long shots are still a major problem-fuzzy and a bit of a mess.
Sound is stereo and should spread out nicely in Dolby Surround or similar.
There is a commentary, an interview with Fleischer and comments from Sheldon Hall.
While anything would be better than the French disc, and this is far from what Barabbas should look like, I would recommend this new disc.
We can keep our fingers crossed that one day Robert H will get his hands on this title, but I wouldn't hold my breath>

john a hunter

Screenwriter
It's the old transfer but somewhat improved although marginally.
I was watching the new transfer upscaled to 4k by the Panny 420 which probably helped a lot.
If you are expecting a substantial improvement, I suggest you stay with the Sidonis.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
So, is this a true HD master with grain and all and not a DVD upscale like the French disc?

There still is no new master but if you look at the caps you can see that the BD version is devoid of grain and textures:
If you add that one back in and tweak the colors a bit it should be more watchable but of course far from what it could be.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
It has been quite a while since I logged in but for those contributors who I know will be interested , the new Imprint Barabbas has arrived.
It starts with a disclaimer as to PQ and while it is far from what it should look like, it is an appreciable step up from the dreadful Sidonis French disc .
There is a commentary, an interview with Fleischer and comments from Sheldon Hall.
While anything would be better than the French disc, and this is far from what Barabbas should look like, I would recommend this new disc.
We can keep our fingers crossed that one day Robert H will get his hands on this title, but I wouldn't hold my breath>
I also ordered the Barrabbas bd, still in transit...Thanks for the heads up!!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Would love RAH'S take on this film

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
On the film or on the Blu-ray?
If it is for the Blu-ray then I do not think he will be interested in that kind of quality especially when Sony does not deem it worthy of a stateside Blu-ray release.
The film

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
If anyone gets Barabbas and has the capability, can he post any screenshots?
I'm really curious to see how it looks..
If it looks anywhere near The Greatest story ever told Blu-ray, which is generally not appreciated for its picture quality, I would be happy enough!

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Wow! You must be desperate ;)
If anyone gets Barabbas and has the capability, can he post any screenshots?
I'm really curious to see how it looks..
If it looks anywhere near The Greatest story ever told Blu-ray, which is generally not appreciated for its picture quality, I would be happy enough!
Greatest Story is a total snooze fest for me. An epic I saw once and swore I’d ne er watch again. Truly terrible, snail paced.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Greatest Story is a total snooze fest for me. An epic I saw once and swore I’d ne er watch again. Truly terrible, snail paced.
GSET to me is an odd duck - I know Mr Stevens was planning it for years but even after the now considered excellent epic King Of Kings did not repeat MGM's hoped Ben Hur response that he still made the film. The pacing the cast the locations all dragged GSET, kind of shocking from Mr Stevens but at Easter time it too many is a must view and I value their love of the film

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks