What's new

Barabbas HELP !!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Am trying to watch this now. this is the worst transfer of any major spectacle. Youd think Sony would be ashamed to have it out there.
The stereo track was copies from a collectors print. that print was technicolor and looked glorious. What oare the chances that Sony will restore this?

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
Back in the Great Roadshow Era when my father took me to films at the marvellous, and very long gone, Cardiff Capitol, BARABBAS was probably the first time we both thought a film was truly terrible. ( I was about 14 at the time). Of course I have no technical opinion but it would have been in 70mm.

I have some interest in seeing it again after all this time for a second opinion but it would have to be on a decent copy.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Am trying to watch this now. this is the worst transfer of any major spectacle. Youd think Sony would be ashamed to have it out there.
The stereo track was copies from a collectors print. that print was technicolor and looked glorious. What oare the chances that Sony will restore this?
For some time now this to me seems the big epic that is next in line for its studio doing it justice based on both the quality of the film and the existing home video version.
My condolences if you got one of the current Blu-rays.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I remember the DVD of Barabbas looking awful, I couldn't get past the first few minutes (& we were a lot less fussy in those days, with those tiny TVs). Blu-ray is just made for these well shot ancient world epics, it's a shame so many are missing. I could list what we want, but what we have looking really great on Blu-ray would be a much shorter list:

Samson & Delilah
The Egyptian (good luck tracking the TT release down)
The Ten Commandments
Ben-Hur
Spartacus.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
10/10/62 American premiere
1b.jpg

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I remember the DVD of Barabbas looking awful, I couldn't get past the first few minutes (& we were a lot less fussy in those days, with those tiny TVs). Blu-ray is just made for these well shot ancient world epics, it's a shame so many are missing. I could list what we want, but what we have looking really great on Blu-ray would be a much shorter list:

Samson & Delilah
The Ten Commandments
Ben-Hur
Spartacus.
I have Barabbas on Digital. It's watchable. It should look like King of Kings does on Bluray ! :D Imprint is releasing it on Bluray. But I read Nothing about a Restoration. No thanks. :unsure: Sony, what's the hold up ?? :confused: :(
aaa BARABBASposter_01.jpg

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I remember seeing this when it was first issued, and it looked very good. I remember it being a better than average biblical/sand and sandal type of epic. Memory is dim however. It was a long time ago.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Well, the other offerings from ViaVision has not disapointed me yet. I currently own BDs of: When Worlds Collide, I Married a Monster from Outer Space, Warning from Space, The Naked Jungle, The Assasination Bureau, War of the Worlds, Major Dundee, Danger Diabolik and have Conquest of Space and Barabbas on order as we speak. Considering that ViaVisions Imprint series is thier premier productline, I'm pretty sure what ever they release under this moniqure will be a nice addition to any collection. So the question of wether the quality is there with this company is...so far so good!!

PaulRossen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Rossen
10/10/62 American premiere
View attachment 132513
I saw Barabbas a week after the opening at The DeMille. The sound was amazing as was the video. The overture and entr’acte music is on the soundtrack album cue titled Intermezzo. While the presentation was top notch the film was a disappointment. Recall being on a priority list for tickets and have letterhead with the Barabbas logos. Still have the souvenir program. Maybe it’s asking for too much in having that experience duplicated for a film that didn’t do well at the box office.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
I remember seeing this when it was first issued, and it looked very good. I remember it being a better than average biblical/sand and sandal type of epic. Memory is dim however. It was a long time ago.
I remember seeing it at the DeMille Theater in NYC. It was not the best theater to see a widescreen epic. It was a bit disappointing after the excellent Ben-Hur, El CID, Spartacus, and the pretty good King of Kings. The cast in Barabbas was excellent, especially, Quinn, who played an interesting lead character who wasn’t the great hero, but a man caught up in a cruel world.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
What edition RU talking about?

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Samson & Delilah
The Ten Commandments
Ben-Hur
Spartacus.
I bought a German edition of the Egyptain, it was one of those sleeper films that I caught on TCM and the cast was amazing with Jean Simmons, Victor Mature, Gene Tierney and Peter Ustinov!! It is better than the dvd, that said, a real restoration rathher than a digital message treatment would be wonderful!! Not sure if Samson & Delilah is on BD but everything on the rest of the list is.

Attachments

• 71ZIydOb6jS._SL1000_.jpg
    71ZIydOb6jS._SL1000_.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 75

PaulRossen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Rossen
I remember seeing it at the DeMille Theater in NYC. It was not the best theater to see a widescreen epic. It was a bit disappointing after the excellent Ben-Hur, El CID, Spartacus, and the pretty good King of Kings. The cast in Barabbas was excellent, especially, Quinn, who played an interesting lead character who wasn’t the great hero, but a man caught up in a cruel world.
Spartacus played Roadshow at The DeMille. Other Roadshows at The DeMille…Fall of the Roman Empire, Those Magnificent Men, Hawaii, war and Peace, The Cardinal….among others. No it was not as attractive as The Loews Capitol or Loews State or Criterion but it was one of a handful of theaters that valued presentation during the Roadshow era in NYC. Other theaters of note in the Times Sq area… The Rivoli, The Warner which played the aforementioned EL Cid. All gone now…

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I think I recall that the Twilight Time Blu-ray of The Egyptian was from a newer master than the German version.
One you say you can't find and the other you can, you make the call? Eventually there may be a fully restored edition of the Egyptain, for now the Greman one will do, for me. One title not in the BD titles MIA is Joan Collins Land of the Pharoahs 1955. Only in a poor and tired dvd version, that lone wolf needs some one to champion them...the list goes on.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
One you say you can't find and the other you can, you make the call? Eventually there may be a fully restored edition of the Egyptain, for now the Greman one will do, for me. One title not in the BD titles MIA is Joan Collins Land of the Pharoahs 1955. Only in a poor and tired dvd version, that lone wolf needs some one to champion them...the list goes on.
I alway felt Barabbas was a downer, dark depressing film - could have been so much more - Christopher Fry really nailed Ben-Hur adding much to that film, not this one. I think this is a rare time I agree with 'THE' Bosely Crowther!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I alway felt Barabbas was a downer, dark depressing film - could have been so much more - Christopher Fry really nailed Ben-Hur adding much to that film, not this one. I think this is a rare time I agree with 'THE' Bosely Crowther!

Attachments

• rsz_1out_1.jpg
    rsz_1out_1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 104

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks