What's new

Baltimore-Area Members, I Need Your Help!! (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I've had it up to here with my local multiplex, Loews White Marsh. We went to see Signs today, and in addition to the multitude of completely obnoxious people around us (I guess the theater can't help that), I was distracted by the fact that the top 10-15% of the movie was cut off because the screen was incorrectly framed.:angry: :angry: Also, I've noticed this the past couple of visits, it sounds like the SDDS sound systems haven't been calibrated since the place opened in 1997. Whenever something I want to see is at the Senator, I always pay the extra cash and make the longer trip to go there, but they can only play one movie at a time, so I grudgingly accept the fact that I need another theater. So, any good or even acceptable ones I should look into in terms of presentation quality and employees who kinda know what they're doing?

Todd Henry

Second Unit
Andrew,

I know some people that go down to Arundel Mills and the huge new theater there. Not sure what part of Baltimore you are from, so that might be a hike.

Todd

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Crown Theater in Annapolis is fairly decent, but I was not overly impressed with the digital pix of Episode 1. Too soft, and the audio had too many dropouts.

I'd like to try the Senator sometime, but with the cost of babysitting, my DVD collection is getting quite the workout. Sounds like you need a dedicated HT with a Front Projector !

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, if you are up in White Marsh Arundel Mills is a good hike, but not horrible. The Charles downtown was rehabbed, what, 5-6 years ago (?) and is wonderful. More of an art house cinema so mostly smaller films (it was the only one playing Memeento in Bawlmer if I remember correctly). Due to the clientele, usually will have no problems with your fellow patrons. Is the Rotunda cinema still around? I grew up walking distance to there, but I heard it shut down. There was a rumor that the folks from the Senator were going to buy it, which would be great news. haven't checked back to see what happened.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
TedE, I haven't heard of the Rotunda, so unless something got past me somewhere along the way, it looks like it probably has been shut down.:frowning:
Sounds like you need a dedicated HT with a Front Projector !
Don't we all?:D
Well, all except the lucky bastards who already have one;)

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, looks like the Rotunda is closed down. Here's a link to an article from June about the Senator owner buying the place and re-opening it. Sounds like it's going to happen, but who knows when.

Stefan A

Second Unit
There is a Regal Cinima up in Bel Air that I have had success in. However, it seems kids run the place just like at White Marsh. So, I am sure it is just a matter of time before something messes up. I have been to the Crown Annapolis and I liked it.

I have also had problems at White Marsh. You need to just go out to the manager station and tell them. It's a pain, but they should correct the problem.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Stefan, I saw LOTR once at the same Regal and was dissapointed. The sound was weak and there were two light streaks on the screen the entire time. I think it's just a problem with the way chains are run altogether. In short, we need more Senators.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Gad this is funny. I'm always complaining about this. We should feel lucky here in Baltimore that we even have theaters like The Senator and The Charles Theater, not to mention The Rotunda when it was open (and hopefully if T.K. takes it over and reopens it).
Last time I went to White Marsh, I sat in a squished up multi-plex with bad sight-lines watching an out of focus movie and being pummelled every time the stupid person in front of me leaned forward TO ANSWER HER GODDAMN CELL PHONE. And last time I made the mistake of going to someplace as horrible as EASTPOINT, I had to sit thru a movie with crying babies and laser pointers nicely pointing out the actresses boobies for me.
The Charles played DUCK SOUP this weekend! As soon as ROAD TO PERDITION goes away, I'm hoping Tom will bring another string of classics to the giant screen at The Senator (where else can you see KING KONG '33 in the OAR and have Kong be LIFESIZE!).
Thank goodness for The Senator, The Charles and home theater.
MC

Stefan A

Second Unit
Yeah, the chains have good days and bad days (mostly bad). In Baltimore The Senator is certainly the best. You gotta love poopcorn with real butter. My big problem with the Senator are the seats. I am extremely uncomfortable in those seats every time I go. Since I am about 45 minutes from it, I only go for biggies - and they are the longest. Apocolypse Now Redux was a horrible experience because of those seats.

I have to give it to the chains in that dep't. I am always real comfortable. Especially Regal.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I do agree that the seats at the Senator could use some improvement. However, I'll take an uncomfortable seat that isn't constantly being kicked over one that is being kicked.:angry: I've also decided that I hate stadium seating. How can the speakers be at proper hearing levels if everyone's at a different elevation?

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I saw in the Sun today that this is the last week for Road to Perdition at the Senator. I wonder what Kiefaber's cooking up for us next? My gut tells me Signs, but maybe we'll get lucky with some classic film screenings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks