What's new

Backlight problem Fixed (1 Viewer)

radar1

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel Gigante
Well this one was easy, a new set of Duracell AAA batteries restored my HD-XA1 Remote backlight function. The Toshiba batteries that came with it lasted only 2 days! I guess when the batteries lose power the backlight stops working even though the remote still works.
I still don't know why I can't view a 4:3 ratio video without those damn black bars on the sides. I was really looking forward to this player and it's ability upscale my music concerts (which are ALL in 4:3 ratio!) to 720p resolution and FILL the screen the way 4:3 is supposed to.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Daniel,

That must have been a poor set of batteries indeed. Shame on Toshiba!

If you have a 16x9 TV, you cannot possibly see a 4:3 picture on it without either having black bars on the side, or else crop the top/bottom from it, or else stretch it sideways (making the picture uneven).

If you own a 4x3 TV, all you need to do is set the aspect ratio in the player to 4x3. As delivered out of the box, it will "think" (have its settings as if) you own a widescreen TV set.

If you did all that and the problem persists, there may indeed be a problem.

Cees

radar1

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel Gigante
I've contacted Toshiba about the way my XA-1 "pillar boxes" my 4:3 picture on my 4:3 screen and suposedly they're looking into it. Like you said, if I select 4:3 as my screen type in the set-up menu and my screen is 4:3 and my projector is set to 4:3, the image should fill my screen without any cropping. They want me to try it on a different 4:3 display to see if it's an issue with my Optoma EP-739 projector. The problem is, I don't have another 4:3 display with a digital input at my disposal to try such an experiment. What puzzles me is the fact that I have a HD-DVD video titled," View From Space With Heavenly Music" which was filmed in HD and 4:3 aspect ratio and it fills my screen and is absolutly stunning. I must also add that the guys I spoke with at Toshiba USA were very professional, courteous, and spoke perfect english! I just hope they can fix this with a simple upgrade. I already upgraded to the latest they have, via my DSL internet connection.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Daniel,

I bought "View From Space With Heavenly Music" too. :)
One of my first three HD DVDs, in fact! As I expected, the image is stunning indeed and of "demo" quality for the HD format.

I really do hope they can help you solve the problem. One thing you could do while you're waiting for them, is go through all ratio settings on your projector (I suppose there are several, from "zoom" to "auto", or so) once more and see how it effects the image.
Especially suspicious would be a setting called "auto", because that one tries to "see" a bit (?) that could be set wrong on some DVD releases, as well as probably try to determine a black area - and then set your projector accordingly.
I myself had some problems in the past with this setting on my Sony projector (normally, that setting is OK, but I just needed to choose by hand on some discs). I'm talking about my ("old") 480i projector now!

Good luck, and please let us know the results!

Cees

radar1

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel Gigante
Cees,
The beginning of "View From Space..." is especially exciting for me. I'm referring to the launch of the shuttle. I work for the company that makes the flight controls for the shuttle. Our controls steer the three main engines as well as the solid rocket boosters, ailerons and rudder. I've been involved with the shuttle program since the beginning. The launch scene on that disc is like being there!
I'll keep you posted on my 4:3 dilema. Thanks.
Dan

Royce H

Stunt Coordinator
My Mits 46807 has the same display with 4 X 3 at 1080i out of the Toshiba as Daniel's projector, regardless of how screen size is set in the Toshiba's setup. Maybe the Tosh isn't capable of fully stretching the image when outputting HD resolutions, or maybe the engineers are trying to avoid a hit to picture quality. It IS stretching the image vertically, but not horizontally.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks