What's new

Slight problem with setting black level on my Panasonic TC-26LX85 (1 Viewer)

Charles S

Agent
Ok, well I got my Panasonic 26LX85, and after 2 bad experiences with another brand I can say that the bad experience was worth it, because this LCD TV is awesome.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
However I'm still "tweaking" some of the settings and still am having a bit of trouble with black level/brightness. (I've got the Contrast pretty good I think)

First, I'm using the original VE and I know there is DVE, and plan on getting it at some point, but I've read that VE can be used pretty effectively on LCDs if one knows what one is doing.

The short of it is, should I use the low APL pluge, or the high APL pluge with the white bar to set black level?

I'm not quite sure the panel holds black at a fixed level (I thought that problem was only true of CRTs?) as when I use the high APL pluge to set black, and then switch to the low APL pluge, it does appear the black background brightens up slightly. But I can't be sure if it's any more grey than before or just an optical illusion. (what with backlight tech. and all)

Also when I switch from the full screen modes to 4X3, I then have to re-adjust to the black level to a lower setting because in 4x3 everything birghtens up a bit. Of course if I adjust in 4X3 then zooming in (on a 4X3 TV show shot in widescreen for example) crushes the blacks. Is this a common thing?

I have the backlight set at +50 (half way) but hadn't thought of turning it down anymore, do you think that will have any effect or not?

I have everything else set spot on, but continue to play with the black level...basically am just wondering if the LOW APL or HIGH APL pluge is the best to use for an LCD? (I've done the THX one too but that sets 2 clicks darker than the low APL pluge on VE which seems too dark)

I'm probably being a bit fanatical, but I'm so pleased and happy with the TV I just want it to be the best it can be. Thanks...

PS: edited to add I'm using Component video on a SD DVD. (don't have blueray), in case that matters.

Charles S

Agent
Never mind the question. after going through my DVD player functions again I see it has different modes, one being "Cinema" and when switched to that it fixes the problem above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks