What's new

Back to the Future/Lord of the Rings (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
If you have both of these soundtracks, would you give them a spin and tell my why one sounds so much like the other?

If Howard Shore's work was worth a gold statue, how about Alan Silvestri's compositions in BTTF?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
??? Sorry, I don't hear this at all. Is there a particular cue or cues you are referring to??

Silvestri's themes in BttF have a bold, brassy sound - a very 80s sound to me. In my (admittedly brief) relisten, I can hear no resemblance to Shore's more "classical" work. That's not even taking into account Shore's extensive use of choral elements, and incorporation of non-traditional (for an orchestra) instruments like the hammered dulcimer & the hardanger.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Jim seems to be referring to these two soundtracks as a whole being similar, which I don't see.

However, for what it's worth, as soon as I heard the "Fellowship Theme" from LOTR, I thought to myself, "That sounds like a theme from BTTF." I don't own the BTTF soundtrack so I can't reference a time from the CD, etc., but on The standard Soundtrack from Fellowship, track 11 "The Ring Goes South" check around the 1:20 mark, the trumpet lead there is the theme that reminds me of a cue from BTTF. It's one of the main themes from BTTF, kind of the hero theme.

Not many other similarities between the two soundtracks, but perhaps that's what Jim was hearing?

JKS

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Thanks for sort of bailing me out on this one Jeremy.
Last week I heard some section of each being played on the public station in Austin. I thought I was just listening to LOTR music, but in back announcing the set the DJ mentioned that he had started with BTTF and "Weren't those themes very simular?"
Both films are so popular that I was sure I could start a discussion on the topic here, but of course, far fewer of us explore the MUSIC forum.

Jim

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
So are we just talking one particular theme then? I know which theme we're talking about in FotR. It would help if someone could give an exact BttF reference, either in the film or to a CD track.

I don't have the BttF soundtrack, but I popped in the DVD this morning and re-familiarized myself with some of the main themes, including what I would consider the "hero" theme. There MAY be a match of the first three notes, but the context is so different that even after listening to each several times I still can't say one reminds me of the other. So I must be listening to the wrong thing.

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
One other thing to consider is that Alan Silvestri decided to go with a very large orchestra on BTTF. You can see more on this on the DVD. Very seldom do you hear arrangements for that many pieces.

This lends itself to the "Grand Scale" of the event.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Something else I realized while digging around last night - there was never a BttF 1 score CD released. The soundtrack album had only two tracks of score music.

Back to the original post:
I don't understand how or why you're trying to tie Shore's Oscars this year and 2 years ago into Silvestri's lack of same 18 years ago, but you'd have to ask the Music branch of the Academy - they declined to even nominate Silvestri's score. The nominees that year were Agnes Of God (Georges Delerue), The Color Purple (Quincy Jones & others), Out Of Africa (John Barry), Silverado (Bruce Broughton), & Witness (Maurice Jarre). John Barry won.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Good scores that compliment popular movies don't usually get nominated, AFAIK.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks