B&W 805, Kef 201, Infinity Kappa 200?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Anyone have an opinion of these? Best bang for the buck? THey are in order of price... at least what I can get them for. The B&W'S are about $1200 a pair. The kef's about $1000 and the Infinities are about $600.

I love the way they all sound and I am pretty sure Im gonna do a sunfire Ultimate Reciever for any of them (200X7). Is that over kill? I think My best bang for the buck is gonna be the infinities. But I just want some opinions.

2. Philip____S

Philip____S Stunt Coordinator

I can't say I understand your prices, as Kef Ref 201 are $3500 a pair list, and I thought the B&Ws were fairly expensive as well. If you are talking about used or single speaker pricing it makes a little more sense, but still seems low. Anyway, I actually spoke to Kef about power requirements and have asked many installers the same question, and 200 wpc is overkill, especially into 8 ohms. The Ref 201 don't need more than 150 wpc and Kef told me they wouldn't recommend 200 wpc channel primarily as the speaker dips below 8 ohms and goes as low as 3.2 ohms. An amp capable of 200 wpc into 8 ohms can probably do 350 wpc or so into 4 ohms, so you can see how much power the speakers are actually getting. I looked at the same speakers and am in the process of getting a Kef setup.

My two cents.

3. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Agent

I haven't heard the KEF's so I can't comment on them, but I have heard the Infinities and the 805's and IMO it's not even close, 805's hands down. I don't own the 805's, but my center speaker is a HTM-2 which is really just a 805 on it's side, and I couldn't be happier. BTW, if you've got a chance to pick up the 805's for $1200 that's a really good price. But on the other hand you could also pick up a set of Maggie 1.6's used. :)