What's new

Axiom vs. Lsi (1 Viewer)

AhsanR

Stunt Coordinator
I know this thread has been done before, but there was no real conclusion assumed...

So I'm wondering has anyone tested both speakers, and can they give an IN DEPTH review of both(S) stregnths and weaknesses.

I am kind of in a pickle right now.

Thanks.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
Honestly, I think you can get the basic idea from the other thread, and there's not much more to add. They are both excellent lines of speakers, the Axioms are a bit more detailed, the LSis have a bit more bass and slam to them, and the Axioms are more affordable at each comparable type of speaker. If money is not an object, and you don't really care for a detailed sound but rather want more of a warm sound, then the Lsis are for you. If money is a factor, then you might want to consider the Axioms. Bottom line, you can't lose with either type of speaker, but they do have different sounds, and they are at different price points.

AhsanR

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jeffrey,

When you say, "detailed", what exactly do you mean?

And how do the Lsi's have more slam?

Thanks.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
When you say, "detailed", what exactly do you mean? And how do the Lsi's have more slam?
I'll take a quick crack at explaining this, but I'm no true audiophile, so I'm not guaranteeing I'm correct. In terms of the Axioms, I own their M22 bookshelves, VP150 center channel, and will be purchasing surrounds. The Axioms use a titanium tweeter, which produces a very crisp, clear sound. Now, some people would define Axioms as "bright" speakers, which is a more severe term for detailed. I think speakers can be detailed without being bright, and I think the Axioms fall into that class. I think their titanium tweeter blends excellently with their aluminum woofers, for a very clear, smooth sound, well above their price point. Detailed would basically mean that the high frequencies, voices in movies, etc. come in very clear. Again, if a speaker is too detailed, and the high frequencies are too high, then it can sound harsh. The Axioms should not sound harsh, unless due to room acoustics, placement, etc.

Regarding the Lsi's having more slam, I think that they just have more bass than a comparable Axiom speaker. I can see that Axiom does not place a huge emphasis on bass. Their speakers are definitely not completely lacking bass, but I think Axiom tends to build their speakers to produce clear, smooth sound, and rely on a subwoofer to produce the low bass (of course, some of their bigger towers will produce some strong bass themselves). The Polk's seem to be built to produce more bass themselves, so they just have more low frequency. The Lsi's also provide smooth sound, and they are very good speakers. They use the Vifa tweeter, which is supposed to produce a warmer sound than a titanium tweeter. All in all, you can't go wrong with either speaker. I definitely don't regret buying the Axiom's though. For under $400 a pair, the M22's are amazing bookshelf speakers.

Walt Park

Stunt Coordinator
details are small things that sometimes you notice and sometimes you dont. Usually stuff in the background, like a breath, fingers sliding on strings, background instruments in dense passages, a sniffle, etc. There's alot of stuff in recordings that isnt always heard. Better systems give you more detail, and so may hear things you might not otherwise. It's kinda like looking at a picture. At first you might just see a blonde woman in a dress. With more detail, you see her hair is curly, and she has dimples. With more detail, you see she's bleached her hair, and has freckles that are desperately being hidden by makeup.

Sometimes too much detail is not desireable ;)

As for Lsi's having more slam, I'm not sure, as I havent heard the axioms in question. I do have a set of lsi's in my HT. And I do think they are not the most detailed speakers I've heard. They have alot of mid and bass that is pretty decently controlled. They tend to sound fatter than neutral. I wouldnt say that they are not articulate though. They are not fatiguing to listen to as some very detailed speakers are. They're pretty relaxed I think. They are decent in most respects, and they are easy to listen to. You can also get them online at significant discounts. I'm not sure about the axioms.

AhsanR

Stunt Coordinator
So what would you say, sounds better to you? Polks Lsi or the Axioms?

Are the Polk Lsi's not detailed whatsoever?

I know the Lsi's have the Vifa Ring Tweeter, does it make a big difference?

Thanks guys, the decision is a tough one.

Billie

Auditioning
Very interesting discussion here! Said Axiom has more detailed while Polk LSi has more bass slam!

Well, which of these two speakers is more transparent and articulation?

AhsanR

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah yeah!!!

I really am loving speakers, I am kinda in a financial emergency, so I find out, my plans to buy speakers are pushed back indefinetely....

But Hey, I'm still loving them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks