Mission 781 vs Polk Lsi 7

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill RE, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Bill RE

Bill RE Extra

Jul 7, 2002
    On Sunday, I was in The Great Indoors with my wife and two kids (age’s 3 years and 8 weeks) looking for a new light fixture for our bathroom. On the way out, I couldn’t help but walk past the home electronics department. They were having a tremendous sale on close-out/floor model equipment.

[Background Info: I am new to HT and high-end audio equipment and this is my first post. We bought a new house last year and I have been given OK to finish the basement which, will include a theater room (apx. 19 x 11) and should be completed by September. I have been reading everything I can find on-line about speakers, equipment, room set-up, etc. The thing I have been struggling with the most is which speaker system to buy. This message board has provided some great information. In addition to home theater speakers, I need to get a pair of bookshelf speakers to replace the old and ugly Pioneer speakers that I have had since college.]

Anyway, The Great Indoors was discounting all of their Mission speakers. I listened to the 780 and 781 models and I thought they sounded pretty good. Especially for my family room where we typically listen to Bear in the Blue House and Elmo CDs. I wanted to compare them with something so I listened to a couple pairs of Jamo speakers and the Polk Rti38 and Rti28. Then I tried the Polk Lsi 7 speaker. Wow what tremendous sound. I didn’t realize Polk was making such a nice speaker and then I found a couple of threads on this site about these speakers. The Mission 781s were marked down from apx. $550 to $340. After very little negotiating, the sales manager sold me 2 pairs of Mission 781s for $160/pair or $320 total (one pair is for a friend). This was significantly less than the $699/pair price for the Polk Lsi 7, which I did prefer, but there was not a $539 difference. However, I was only able evaluate the speakers for 15 minutes since I had hungry kids and a very bored wife with me. In addition, I bought an M&K V-1250 sub for $350. It had been returned but appeared to be in good shape and is covered by the manufacturer warranty. I was planning to purchase an HSU VTF 3 to go with whatever speakers I end up selecting but $350 seemed like a really good deal for the M&K. I can always upgrade in a few years if it doesn’t generate enough bass.

Does anyone own or have any knowledge about the Mission 781 speakers? Was $160 as good a deal as I think?

Instead of using the Mission speakers in my family room, what if I get a matching center channel and use these speakers with the M&K sub in my HT? Total cost would be $670 + center channel.

If I keep the Mission speakers in the family room, how would the M&K sub match with some other speakers? Currently, the top candidates are Klipsch RF-3, Polk Lsi, Paradigm Monitor, and M&K. My budget is $2,000-$2,500. I have read a lot about Diva and Axiom but I am not certain I will buy something that I can’t listen to.

Thanks for your input. Sorry for the long post. I’ll keep them shorter in the future.
  2. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Apr 4, 2002
    Yee Ming Lim